Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Approved!!!

I just got a call that my SB100 was approved!!!!!...no BAR Referee appointment available for 3 weeks though...now scheduled for 6 June. This should be the one where I get the magical white BAR sticker...and paperwork that I then need to take back to the DMV to complete the process and get plates.

Some recommendations for anyone looking to buy a used Cobra:

- Get all of the paperwork from the previous owner, including the title, a copy of the MSO and detailed receipts of the chassis and engine/transmission. If there are not separate receipts for the chassis and engine/transmission, then there might be an issue. (or if they don't have this paperwork)

- Anytime paperwork needs to go back to the DMV, or if you are waiting for your SB100 Sequence# certificate, add at least a week or two of wait time.

More to follow once I complete the process!!!
Cobalt289 likes this.

Last edited by 51astro456; 05-18-2017 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: add info
Old 05-18-2017, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51astro456 View Post
I just got a call that my SB100 was approved!!!!!...no BAR Referee appointment available for 3 weeks though...now scheduled for 6 June. This should be the one where I get the magical white BAR sticker...and paperwork that I then need to take back to the DMV to complete the process and get plates.

Some recommendations for anyone looking to buy a used Cobra:

- Get all of the paperwork from the previous owner, including a copy of the MSO and detailed receipts of the chassis and engine/transmission. If there are not separate receipts for the chassis and engine/transmission, then there might be an issue. (or if they don't have this paperwork)

- Anytime paperwork needs to go back to the DMV, or if you are waiting for your SB100 Sequence# certificate, add at least a week or two of wait time.

More to follow once I complete the process!!!
Congratulations! Glad to see that it is straight forward.
Moto One likes this.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Did you have your appointment June 6th?
Old 06-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Congratulations. Best of luck. As you probably already know, most "issues" arise at the BAR inspection. Clear that hurdle, and you'll be home-free.
51astro456 likes this.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 06-12-2017, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Got my plates!!

Sorry for the delay in updating this post.

I had my BAR referee appointment last week on the 6th. All went smoothly...longest wait was for the system that the referee needs to use to input the data. Finally they put the sticker right next to the superformance plate inside the engine compartment. Initially the referee wanted to put it on the frame somewhere...but I convinced him to put it next to the other plate.

After we finished, I asked him what advice could I give future buyers of used out of state cobras/SPCN's. He mentioned the no "turn key" cars...but it still doesn't make sense since a used car is, by definition, turn key. It still seems to make sense that if you can prove that the car was initially put together by a home builder, or assembled by more than one "business", then you should be ok.

The next day I went to the DMV...the person I got was not familiar with the SPCN/SB100 route...so I waited patiently as she brought up a memo on her computer...began to ask me about the CHP inspection...and I said the the previous person (supervisor, who wasn't there unfortunately) at the same DMV said that it wasn't required since it had already been titled in another state..and already had a VIN assigned by superformance and on the previous title.

I gave her the paperwork from the BAR referee...a mistake I made was not making copies of that paperwork first...but I figured I already had the magical sticker on the car.

FINALLY, she said ok, here are your plates!

Now I am waiting on the title...not sure what it will say...the registration does not mention cobra..only "SPCNS"...the white SB100 sticker does say "65 Cobra"

So...from first DMV visit to plates was about 2 months...longest pole(s) in the tent was scheduling and waiting for the BAR referee appointments...luckily it didn't rain either day
Attached Images

ACHiPo likes this.

Last edited by 51astro456; 06-13-2017 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 06-12-2017, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congratulations! California doesn't make it easy - but it can be done!
51astro456 likes this.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congrats!
Old 06-14-2017, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

Congrats, but wow! I feel for you folks out on the left coast. Here in NY, it honestly took me 15 minutes at the DMV to register mine, 5 of which was spent standing in line waiting for a clerk to free up. They don't look at the car at all, all they want is a transferable title or transferable registration, and a bill of sale from the prior owner....which can be scribbled on the back of a napkin for all they care.

What do we get in return for this ease of registration? Pot holed filled roads that rival those of Afghanistan. Pick yer poison, eh? lol
Old 06-14-2017, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

I have to say ours went very easy (for us), we hired a consultant who does the SB100s on a regular bases. He has CHP inspection done at the engine installer, then the Bar inspection, we were then sent paper work form the state, that was then returned to him, where he trailered the car to DMV. (I think thats how it went). He is now working on an out of state car for us. We went this route because of logistics, car was built in SoCal we are in NoCal. It was well worth the fee.

Mark.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Moto One, what was the fee?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Although a third generation Californian, I am now a bit embarrassed to admit it when I travel, and look forward to retiring and living out my life elsewhere...
Old 11-08-2017, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
Although a third generation Californian, I am now a bit embarrassed to admit it when I travel, and look forward to retiring and living out my life elsewhere...
That’s interesting. I just moved to CA 4 years ago after 28 years in OR and 22 years in Indiana. I love it as long as I don’t run out of money. Hope I never have to leave.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
I love it as long as I don’t run out of money.
Don’t worry, with our state pension funds drastically underfunded, our governor will figure out a way to take it from you.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Don’t worry, with our state pension funds drastically underfunded, our governor will figure out a way to take it from you.
You have that right. Jerry Jerry Quite Contrary will again create a new tax to take it from every body!!🤑
Old 11-10-2017, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

Just scheduled my appointment today with the CHP for November 28th!
Cobalt289, ACHiPo and 51astro456 like this.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

CHP went without a hitch.

Went back to DMV for sequence number and was told I needed the brake and light after all (originally they said I didn't). So, had to replace a broken E-brake cable and then get the inspection done.

Today I completed the inspection and then went to DMV with my "fast pass" and finally obtained my sequence number. Next stop...BAR smog ref.

The hardest part so far has been leaving the Cobra in the parking lot at the DMV today while waiting over an hour for my sequence number! lol

The good news is that I have a new operating permit until March 2018.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

vntgspd - Was this a new build? Or a completed car you bought used? With my used Cobra, DMV said I didn't need a brake and light inspection - then near the end, one clerk said I did need it, before the supervisor again said I didn't. Sometimes it feels like they just make it up on the fly... Congrats on getting to the final step!
Old 12-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowan Replicars, 352 4V
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vntgspd View Post
CHP went without a hitch.

Went back to DMV for sequence number and was told I needed the brake and light after all (originally they said I didn't). So, had to replace a broken E-brake cable and then get the inspection done.

Today I completed the inspection and then went to DMV with my "fast pass" and finally obtained my sequence number. Next stop...BAR smog ref.

The hardest part so far has been leaving the Cobra in the parking lot at the DMV today while waiting over an hour for my sequence number! lol

The good news is that I have a new operating permit until March 2018.
Wow, this is a timely thread!!

I have my VIN from the CHP and my certificate of sequence number (SPENC #), I now need to do a brake and light inspection and visit the BAR. My car has a Jaguar rear end with the infamous parking brake, did your car fail the brake and light inspection due to nonfunctional parking brake?

By the way, my car is a ground build up with no MSO only a bill of sale, I don't think you need a brake and light inspection with an MSO but different DMV offices and agents will give different answers .

Every time I visited the DMV, I got a different answer about getting a SPENC #, I eventually got it without the car being present and no brake and light certificate.

Rowan Replicars 1965 Cobra Replica
352 4V, T5, Jaguar Posi rear end with 3.30 gears.
https://www.facebook.com/pormgb/

Last edited by pormgb; 12-19-2017 at 06:37 PM..
Old 12-19-2017, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On my used ERA 289 FIA Cobra, I didn't end up needing to get a brake and light inspection. I took a look at your Facebook page, and it looks like you've made a beautiful car that will pass with flying colors!
Old 12-20-2017, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I realize this thread is primarily for those of you who live in CA, but I would like to share my "adventure" in titling and registering my Cobra in PA.
I bought my Cobra from a very kind and patient gentleman from AL. who waited over 4 weeks for me to transfer my funds to a savings account, then 2 more weeks until I could access them.
That said, apparently, Al. is one of a few states that doesn't have a "paper" title, they just have a registration certificate that must be kept in the car along with the yearly licensing and insurance papers. Naturally, eager to drive it, the following day after it arrived, I had my Cobra insured and went to the local tag service and got a temporary plate and registration, assuming everything was in order. Apparently it wasn't. Our DMV wouldn't accept the photocopy of AL.'s registration and returned everything to the local tag service, but they never notified me. After 8 weeks and not receiving my "official" PA. title and registration, I contacted our state representative's office and had them look into it, they got back to me and said that they spoke to the person who rejected it and they sent it back to the tag service. I went to the tag service and they said they forgot to contact me (Grrr!) and they needed the actual copy of the AL. registration. I then had to contact the previous owner to get a duplicate to send into our DMV. The kind gentleman drove to AL's DMV, obtained another copy and mailed it to me. I received it early last week and immediately took all the paperwork to the rep's office and they personally delivered it to our DMV. As of this Monday, they haven't heard from the DMV, so apparently (hopefully) that was the only holdup. But there is another issue I've been made aware of.
PA. requires a "kit car" or "reproduction" to go through an (I think they call it a 101 point) inspection by a certified inspection station (there's only one of those anywhere near me). Since the Cobra was registered as a "1965 Ford Cobra" in AL, I'm hoping it comes back registered as the same.
PA. has 3 types of licensing/registrations.
1. Standard-requires yearly inspection and yearly renewal of registration.
2. Classic Car-lifetime registration and yearly inspection/w limited mileage.
3. Antique- lifetime registration, no annual inspection/w limited mileage and cannot be driven at night.
Now, I'm hoping that my Cobra comes back registered as a "1965 Ford Cobra" as it was in AL. so I can apply for the Classic Car plate, but at this point, I just hope I don't need to "jump through any more hoops" and really don't care how it gets licensed and registered as long as it does. I just want to be able to drive it legally!
Sorry for the long rant, but if it helps anyone here from PA. who buys a Cobra from another state understand what requirements we have here, it's well worth it.

Tags
california, sb100, smog, smog exempt