Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2018, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     
Default Revised Process for California SB100 Registration

I started the SB100 registration process yesterday for my new ERA.

According to my local DMV (Pleasanton), here is the revised process for registering a kit car (SPCNS) to get an SB100 registration:

1. Take in receipts and MSO and pay the fees. The expenses must include parts and labor to build the car, and receipts for the frame, body, engine, and transmission at a minimum. At this first visit I received a temporary VIN and a vehicle moving permit, which allows me to legally drive the car for one day for a Brake and Lamp inspection and a CHP inspection.

2. Brake and Lamp inspection is required before the DMV will issue a Temporary Operating Permit (this is a change from what I've seen elsewhere) or Sacramento will issue an SPCNS sequence number (also different). At this point I was starting to get concerned based on everything I read "DON'T LEAVE WITHOUT A SEQUENCE NUMBER!" After speaking with the manager, showing her the instructions I'd downloaded from DMV and elsewhere, she called Sacramento and confirmed they will not issue an SPCNS without a Brake and Lamp inspection. By the way, I was actually pretty impressed with the Pleasanton DMV employees. While it was clear they didn't have a lot of experience with the process, they were professional and helpful. It sure would be nice, however, if there was a clear process to follow since what I found posted on line is out of date.

At this point a guy called me over and encouraged me to relax. He was in the final stages of getting an SB100 for his Noble. He assured me that the DMV folks knew the system and were helping me out, even though it's different than what I'd read. He went through the whole process a few weeks ago and was equally concerned at the time, but confirmed that this DMV knew what they were doing and to be nice and follow their instructions. Wish I'd thought to get his contact information!

3. CHP inspection for stolen parts and permanent VIN assignment.

Not totally sure on the rest of the process, but I believe it is:

4. SB100 Sequence number (yeah, this means another DMV appointment I think, although I may try to do it by phone first)

5. BAR inspection and smog waiver.

6. Sacramento issues the license plates and I think I have to go back to the BAR and have them attach the SB100 sticker.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

This is the same process I went through a little over a year ago when registering my ERA. The only difference was that they originally said I didn't need brake and light and sent me direct to CHP. This may be because my car was already titled in MA. When I went back to DMV for the next step, I then had a delay due to the missing brake and light. Otherwise, I followed the path you refer to above and all worked out well!
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for posting and sharing your experience. Unfortunately, it all seems to change day to day and DMV window to DMV window. For my used Cobra about 3 years ago, they said I didn't need a B&L inspection, then later said I did need it, but then a supervisor overruled and confirmed I didn't need it after all. It makes sense they'd want a newly constructed vehicle to have that inspection before issuing an operating permit of any kind. Please update as you proceed. And good luck!
Old 03-13-2019, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #3014; 331 CID SBF
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the primer, Evan.

My experience at the Los Gatos DMV was pretty similar; a few differences:

- they went ahead and called Sacramento for a sequence number, and received one even though I haven't done brake & light or CHP yet.

- they issued me 3 moving permits - one for brake & light, one for CHP, and one for my own purposes. These have a 60-day expiration, so I'd better get going and finish the car. I may use the third moving permit to get the car aligned so I feel better driving it around to do the other stuff on my new Avons.

Some other observations:

- my DMV person didn't want to see the engine and transmission receipts at all - she said the CHP will be more interested in those when they check for stolen parts.

- my DMV person didn't check or keep any of the materials used to substantiate the total declared amount subject to use tax. I was extremely thorough and honest with these, but there was no real check of my total.

- I brought both originals and copies of everything. The "appointment triage" person when I arrived was pretty hardnosed and told me that I'd have to surrender all my original documents, and that photocopies were good for nothing. But as it turned out, I walked out with every scrap of paper I walked in with (except a big check). All records of my SPCNS process were directly entered into the computer. After talking to the first lady, I expected they were going to send a big dossier of original papers off to Sacramento and I'd never see it again.

B
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,
That's good to know. I will need to get my moving permit renewed (or another issued) as the 60 days lapsed. With a little luck my car will be here next weekend and I can get the brake and light inspection out of the way, then onto CHP and the BAR referee.

Evan
Old 03-14-2019, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,
That's good to know. I will need to get my moving permit renewed (or another issued) as the 60 days lapsed. With a little luck my car will be here next weekend and I can get the brake and light inspection out of the way, then onto CHP and the BAR referee.

Evan
Old 03-30-2019, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So far the DMV is building credibility. I had a successful appointment yesterday after completing the Brake and Light inspection Monday morning. The B&L inspection guy told me mine was the first Cobra he remembered that passed inspection on the first try. I needed 4-way flashers, a back-up light, and of course working headlights (including high-beams), tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals.

I was greeted at the DMV counter by an "oh no, not one of THOSE" looks and sighs when I told her I was there to continue my SPCNS registration. It took her a few minutes to find her "book" and look up the process. She then reexamined all my paper work and was relatively relieved to see it was all in order. I was MUCH more charming and witty than I was last time, which seemed to definitely help the situation (highly recommended to have a positive attitude, regardless how frustrating and confusing the process might be). Once she was up to speed on the process she asked me to have a seat while she called Sacramento for a sequence number. A little over an hour later she got the requested information, filled out my TOP and gave me my sequence number.

My SB100 sequence number is 59, so the SB100 registration rate is WAY down over the early 2000s when numbers ran out in early January.

I have a 60 day temporary operating permit (TOP), which makes me legal for my CHP inspection appointment Tuesday and the BAR referee appointment that I still need to make.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Evan,

Good,luck with the CHP inspection but that should be one of the easier things you have to go through. The BAR referee shouldn't be anything to worry about and then you will have everything done and legal. Congratulations.

Ron
ACHiPo likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-30-2019, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kmp927
Not Ranked     

Make sure when you go to the bar that your pcv system installed. Breathers will kick you out.. So run lines from both valve covers and connect them someplace. They no longer run the car on a dyno. Just a visual inspection and photos.

They make a little fitting to connect it to base of the aircleaner if you need a second connection point
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Make sure when you go to the bar that your pcv system installed. Breathers will kick you out.. So run lines from both valve covers and connect them someplace. They no longer run the car on a dyno. Just a visual inspection and photos.

They make a little fitting to connect it to base of the aircleaner if you need a second connection point
Is there someplace I can find what all is inspected by the BAR referee so I take care of everything before my appointment?

Closing up the PCV system is on my list of things to do. I already have a PCV routed to the base of the carb, but the other valve cover has a breather which needs to be replaced. I found a twist-in cap with an elbow to replace the breather, and just bought a couple feet of PCV hose at Napa. I plan to punch a hole in the base of the air cleaner, install a grommet, and route the vent hose to it. From what I've read that should be sufficient to pass.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 03-30-2019 at 10:42 AM..
Old 03-31-2019, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The PCV system is now closed. The breather cap was replaced with a screw-in cap with an elbow. Ford OEM breather tubing routes from the screw-in cap to a 7/8" hole in the base of the air filter. I can't see why it won't pass.

I've also heard that all fluids need to be topped off. Oil and coolant are no-brainers, but will they also check brake and clutch reservoirs? Does the gas tank need to be full as well?
Old 03-31-2019, 03:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Neutral     

I doubt that gas tank level really matters... You should check the brake and clutch reservoirs, regardless if they check it or not.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
I doubt that gas tank level really matters... You should check the brake and clutch reservoirs, regardless if they check it or not.
Randy,
Thanks. I'll do that.
Evan
Old 04-02-2019, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The CHP inspection took a whopping 15 minutes by an officer that was very familiar with Cobras and kit cars. All in all a pleasant experience. Now off to the BAR referee.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Evan,

The CHP inspection is normally one of the faster ones. Good luck at the BAR but I don't expect you to have any problems. Then back to the DMV and you will soon be finished. Congratulations.

Ron
ACHiPo likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-07-2019, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

I find it interesting that you needed a 4way flasher, and back up light. We did ours last year and didn't need ether. (for reference every thing was done in Orange County).

To be honest, I wouldn't mind have both though.

Mark.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kmp927
Not Ranked     

bar does not touch your car. they will take a photo of your emissions system in the case of a FE its just a closed loop pcv setup. no breather caps allowed. They were more worried i got the car with the motor installed than anything. They researched the car online and wanted to see the MSO.

now that you have your Brake and tail lamp inspection done you are home free.

lets ride!
ACHiPo likes this.

Last edited by aeon; 04-07-2019 at 10:49 AM..
Old 05-21-2019, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update: BAR Referee Appointment

Had my BAR Referee appointment yesterday. Everything went smoothly, although I was disappointed not to receive my SB100 sticker on the spot. Evidently I need to go back to have that applied once the "management" reviews the paperwork in one to 21 days

The referee reviewed all my paperwork (which was in order) 2-3 times. He was interested in build pictures. I showed him my printed book of build pictures, but he wanted soft copies to attach to his report (or application--whatever he submits to his manager). I got him a few and he seemed satisfied. He took several photos of the car himself. He noted that I had a closed PCV system, so I'd "definitely been talking to someone".

Now I wait. I'm supposed to call his manager if I don't hear anything in 3 weeks. My TOP expires in a little over a week, so I will call early next week if I don't hear before then.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowan Replicars, 352 4V
Not Ranked     

I'm heading to the BAR on June 28th for the final inspection on my 2015 SPCNS Cobra Replica. I have a closed PCV system using dual catch cans and braided fuel line hoses. Did your inspector say anything about needing to see hoses stamped with PVC?

My motor is a pretty stock 1959 352 4V, so I hope to use the engine date to indicate the year for smog purposes.

I will also carry my Cert Of Sequence, CHP VIN number document and all other registration papers collected from the DMV. I also have a book of pictures and receipts that I will carry to the inspection. Did the inspector require any other paperwork?

Rowan Replicars 1965 Cobra Replica
352 4V, T5, Jaguar Posi rear end with 3.30 gears.
https://www.facebook.com/pormgb/
Old 06-21-2019, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

I specifically sourced and used PCV hose so he didn't say anything. I would suggest replacing the braided lines with rubber PCV hose so you don't waste your time in the event your inspector is diligent. You can probably just slip the hose over the AN fitting for your braided line and clamp it down. It's a visual test, not a performance test.

Bring ALL of your documents and you should be good. If you were missing anything they would have noted it at DMV or CHP. But, my inspector wanted to review the docs for their file as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: