Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2020, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kali is about to pass a wealth tax on your global assets so if you are a relatively well-to-do person with a second house in Montana with a cobra registered there with Montana plates, you will have to pay tax on your Montana cobra in exchange for the privilege of being a Kali resident. Things are bad here in Europe and there was a wealth tax in the NL. Hell, I was supposed to pay tax to the govt. based on the theoretical increases ease in the value of my house each year. If I eventually were to sell it for a loss, the govt should have refunded my money at 0% interest. The same was true for any stocks or bonds I held. It also applied to my car but I never declared it. 52% income tax (starting at EUR 62,000) plus 20% sales tax was enough and I didn’t volunteer that I had an expensive classic car on my tax return. FInally got to leave and never looked back.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:51 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Figure I'll provided a bit of an update, and always open to suggestions and advice:

Registration / titling: I think I'm close with getting the car retitled as a 1965. It's been a lot of conversations / communications with forum members, one of the inspectors and the title department. All have been helpful. I'll leave out a lot of the details that got me to this point, but DMV agrees that the title can be corrected to 1965 Composite Cobra, and the registration updated as well.

However, they are saying that composite vehicles do not qualify for Classic plates. This concerns me, since the classic plate is what firmly caps the tax assessment at $500 (vs. the $50,000 they are currently [incorrectly] assessing it at). Without the classic plate, I think the assessors will continue to abuse me, even with a 1965 title. Also, my car is currently registered as a 2004, so would be 20 years old in 2024 (which should then be eligible for classic plates), so should I stick with it as 2004? If I go to a 1965 registration w/o the classic plates, not sure that that means for an assessment. I think they will still use their 'google search' and pick high value, non-representive replicas for the assessment.

Another forum member was titled in CT as a 1965 Cobra Roadster and got classic plates, but I'm told they won't title it like that for me.

Assessment: I appealed the 2020 assessment earlier this week. TBD is approved or declined. I will say that at least this year, the 1-person panel member seems knowledgeable in these cars to an extend, and hopefully I made the case very clear on a 18 year old factory five kit vs. other high end kits. We'll see the result after he reviews it with the other panel members for a decision.

If these paths don't work, not sure what I'm going to do, but I cannot sustain an additional $5000 in vehicle property tax over the next 3 years (or longer!).

I'm just going to add my two cents here as someone who has been guiding people for years on how to title (originally) in their state.

Time have changed, as have the rules and regulations for each state when it comes to these component/kit cars/replicas of the originals. As such, what one person has accomplished in the past, does not always roll over to what can be done with these cars today. "Vintage" titled cars are mostly grandfathered and the title will carry over with the car from state to state (unless you are in California, in which they change the rules on a per car basis it appears). In the case of the OP (no offense to the OP), an attempt to "RETITLE" the car as a 1965 is like reinventing the wheel, the same goes for his attempt at getting classic/historic plates for the same. Someone had done the same in California many, many, many years ago in an attempt to reduce the taxes and emissions on their car, and we all watched the failed attempt, and the schit storm that ensued which brought a multi year, state wide audit of almost all "self made" vehicles. Regulations were re-written, stricter guidelines for building, titling, emissions, safety etc where put in place. Tax audits were done, and in a few cases, cars were impounded and those owners made example of, and not in a positive way. Will the OP's insistence on "RETITLING" his car do the same for the CT DMV/MVS, we will see.......The bottom line, sometimes things are better left as they are, forget about reading how much easier the car will be to sell, or how much more valuable the car will be with a vintage title, as that, especially these days, is baloney. While the OP is hard set on getting this done the way he wants it to, he is not looking at the bigger picture, and while what I am writing here may not sit well with others, it is based on years of experience and years of observations, and is done more as an FYI than to put the OP down (which is not the case at all)......

I wish you all well.

Stay safe, have fun, enjoy life while you can.

Bill S.
Dominik and eschaider like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-04-2020, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Bill - although I appreciate your experienced input, I can tell you I'm not 'insistent' on getting it titled as a 1965. I really don't care if it's a 2004, 1965, or whatever.

What I care about is the tax now burdened on a $50,000 assessment for a kit purchased in 2002, registered in 2004. I'm exploring all legit, legal paths. Also worth noting other replica owners in CT are benefiting from classic plates.

CT residents need to be aware of the potential vehicle tax implications prior to purchasing a kit.

If you live in Connecticut, you need to read this thread on registration and taxation BEFORE purchasing a replica:
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/regi...re-beware.html
Old 09-21-2020, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, for the second year in a row, my appeal was DECLINED. So, over the past two years, I'll have paid roughly $2700 in vehicle property tax on a kit bought in 2002 and built with a $1000 donor.

I've connected with DMV, who has been quite responsive once I found the right people. They would revise my title to 1965 from 2004 (year it was registered), but stated that 'composite' vehicles are not eligible for classic plates. Am I waiting for response on if composite vehicles are ever eligible for classic plates (i.e. based on kit sales order date, frame manufacturing date, etc).

I'm out of options, but cannot continue to be subjected to these exorbitant taxes on a kit car. The next tax cycle starts Oct 1.

Watch out fellow Connecticut enthusiasts, you may be next!

If you live in Connecticut, you need to read this thread on registration and taxation BEFORE purchasing a replica:
Old 09-23-2020, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #720
Not Ranked     

Disheartening to hear that you can't get anyone to listen to reason. Given the financial state of CT (and I'm guessing it's only going to get worse when all the COVID expenses are tallied) it stands to reason that the state will be leaving no stone unturned, or in this case no wallet left closed in their constant quest for more revenue. I can't wait to get out of this state.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Also remember that every time one of them says "we'll only tax the rich" that the statement is only a partial quote. The real statement is "we'll only tax the rich, but what we never say out loud is 'we get to determine who is rich'".

You are, by the nature of the car you drive, being in a definite minority and not having enough others like you similarly affected and willing to raise a voice, have been declared "rich" and you are going to pay for it.
BigGuy and rads42 like this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 09-23-2020 at 12:04 PM..
Old 09-23-2020, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Redfish's registration woes are an excellent case in point about why it is important to be both aware and minimally involved, at least up to the point of voting on policy, political office and governance issues where you live. If you do not and the guys with the opposing political values do, you will eventually be in trouble.

Once you are in trouble the effort to reverse political momentum is much greater than the original effort to continue steering the city / state governance before 'it got out of the groove.'

Continued mis-management of the governance of a society results in profound changes to the safety (Seattle & Portland) and quality of life (NY, San Francisco and L.A.) that the residents experience and eventually to the society (Venezuela).

All free societies eventually get the kind of governance they deserve, either by making good choices or not so good choices. When you start to experience the sorts of things that you are experiencing in Connecticut you have two choices. Either hunker down and attempt to steer the car back onto the race course (work for political change) or get out of the race at that track and go to a different track (move to a different state).

If you choose the later it is to your advantage not to pollute your new home with the same bad decisions that caused you to leave your old home.

Ed
BigGuy and rads42 like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 09-23-2020 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 09-23-2020, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I hear ya, I fear the next round of real estate property taxes and mill rates that are headed our way. At minimum, I'm considering moving to a lower mill rate town, which will not only lower the vehicle taxes, but all property taxes.

If the movement to work from home continues, I heard Tampa is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rads42 View Post
Disheartening to hear that you can't get anyone to listen to reason. Given the financial state of CT (and I'm guessing it's only going to get worse when all the COVID expenses are tallied) it stands to reason that the state will be leaving no stone unturned, or in this case no wallet left closed in their constant quest for more revenue. I can't wait to get out of this state.
rads42 likes this.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very true on the 'minority'. I'm not aware of another cobra / kit car owner in Middletown and seems others in CT have varied experiences / results on both annual vehicle assessments, and getting classic plates (which caps the assessment at $500, so your bill is like $20 per year). We need an advocate like SEMA to get involved and drive CT DMV regulations to include kit / composite cars. With classic plates, the assessors have no power to assess higher than $500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Also remember that every time one of them says "we'll only tax the rich" that the statement is only a partial quote. The real statement is "we'll only tax the rich, but what we never say out loud is 'we get to determine who is rich'".

You are, by the nature of the car you drive, being in a definite minority and not having enough others like you similarly affected and willing to raise a voice, have been declared "rich" and you are going to pay for it.
rads42 likes this.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed - I've never been much of a political / politics guys, but this experience has opened my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Redfish's registration woes are an excellent case in point about why it is important to be both aware and minimally involved, at least up to the point of voting on policy, political office and governance issues where you live. If you do not and the guys with the opposing political values do, you will eventually be in trouble.

Once you are in trouble the effort to reverse political momentum is much greater than the original effort to continue steering the city / state governance before 'it got out of the groove.'

Continued mis-management of the governance of a society results in profound changes to the safety (Seattle & Portland) and quality of life (NY, San Francisco and L.A.) that the residents experience and eventually to the society (Venezuela).

All free societies eventually get the kind of governance they deserve, either by making good choices or not so good choices. When you start to experience the sorts of things that you are experiencing in Connecticut you have two choices. Either hunker down and attempt to steer the car back onto the race course (work for political change) or get out of the race at that track and go to a different track (move to a different state).

If you choose the later it is to your advantage not to polute your new home with the same bad decisions that caused you to leave your old home.

Ed

Old 09-23-2020, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sad how history repeats itself in CT, found this older thread: "Special Interest Vehicles Tax assessment in CT

Old 09-23-2020, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe that most of the states in New England have a similar possibility. In MA for example (we lived there for 10 years), all of the assessed property tax issues are solely left with the town (and there are many of them) and it leads to very different results even in adjacent towns. It starts with the school tax levee on real property (your house) and gets to anything they consider "taxable property". Notable is that auto registrations can vary wildly from town to town.

Alot of it depends on how short your town is and how deep the assessor will go to make up the difference. They'd rather attack a few that are a minority to make up a shortage than raise the mil levee for everyone.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 09-23-2020 at 05:26 PM..
Old 09-24-2020, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
So why didn't you pursue getting your year of manufacture reset to 1965? That would be given to someone registering the same vehicle now and it is not your fault they made an error when you first brought it in.

We left New England because of the tax situation. MA is very similar in that tax rates for everything are set by the town. That plus using diesel fuel for heat was insanely stupid.
That's what I was able to do...I bought the car with an assigned VIN from Arizona (not the manufacture's VIN no.). The Arizona title with a 2004 mfg. date, which is when it was actually built. Arkansas recognizes it as a REPLICA and assigned a VIN that reflects the year of replication (1965).Because there were no Backdraft Racing cars in the Arkansas tax tables, my tax was based on how much I paid for it. That amount was on the Bill of Sale so there was no negotiating the $'s amount or actual worth. Since I sold another car for $1,000.00 less than I paid for the Cobra my state sales tax was nothing. Ar allows a $2,000 or 2,500 trade difference before a tax is levied. In other words I did not have to pay any tax at the time of registry. I did have to add the car to my "Personal Property Tax Assessment" which AR does have. It was valued at the same amount that the Revenue Department valued it at.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey guys. I've been emailing with CT DMV, thought it worth sharing this information regarding their position on classic plates for kit cars. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, folks get their classic plates pulled based on their comments below.

DMV: A replica/Composite vehicle will not qualify for an antique plate due to the State Statute. This passage can be found within Statutes: 14-16a, 14-103a.
“Antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle’ means a motor vehicle twenty years old or older which is being preserved because of historic interest and which is not altered or modified from the original manufacturer's specifications;”​
The above passage was sent to me from our Agency Legal Director​

Me: So a composite vehicle is never eligible, even after it’s 20 years old? It's my understanding that numerous composite vehicles have received (and currently have) classic plates in CT, vehicles that were originally inspected and titled in CT. Why is the statute not applied equally across these vehicles?

DMV: These vehicles should not have antique plates. Unfortunately, some of these have been registered that way in error. We have been working with CVSD and our legal department to correct this.

Me: So just to clarify, even after a kit car / composite vehicle is 20 year old, it is still not eligible for classic plates?

DMV: Per legal, the statute states that a replica, kit, or composite does not qualify.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Me: So just to clarify, even after a kit car / composite vehicle is 20 year old, it is still not eligible for classic plates?
I agree. No way would I put Classic Plates on. Way to much of a gray area an different people could have different interpretations.

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 10-16-2020, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey guys. I've been emailing with CT DMV, thought it worth sharing this information regarding their position on classic plates for kit cars. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, folks get their classic plates pulled based on their comments below.

DMV: A replica/Composite vehicle will not qualify for an antique plate due to the State Statute. This passage can be found within Statutes: 14-16a, 14-103a.
“Antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle’ means a motor vehicle twenty years old or older which is being preserved because of historic interest and which is not altered or modified from the original manufacturer's specifications;”​
The above passage was sent to me from our Agency Legal Director​

Me: So a composite vehicle is never eligible, even after it’s 20 years old? It's my understanding that numerous composite vehicles have received (and currently have) classic plates in CT, vehicles that were originally inspected and titled in CT. Why is the statute not applied equally across these vehicles?

DMV: These vehicles should not have antique plates. Unfortunately, some of these have been registered that way in error. We have been working with CVSD and our legal department to correct this.

DMV: Per legal, the statute states that a replica, kit, or composite does not qualify.

Time to start voting with your feet ...

Ed
Redfish likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CT Tax for "Early American" ( Classic/Antique)

CT property Tax for "Early American" ( Classic/Antique) plates on cars over 25 years old is a fixed value for the car. They set a $500.00 value & the applicable property tax is calculated on that.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

and the sheep keep voting democrat because they promise fwee stuff... lol and then wonder why they are taxed up the a$$... I live in California, it is being completely ruined by King Gavin Newsome, socialist idiot...
Old 10-16-2020, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congratulations, you're now rich. And we only tax the rich.

A Cobra (and any other similar car) is a toy. The tax assessors know the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. They will work to keep the assessed value of such toys as high as possible to maximize revenue. That means it will be deemed to be as new as possible. Some places will furthermore tax it based on current Fair Market Value (just as they do real property like houses) so getting the same treatment for a Cobra Replica built in 2020 even though it is a 1965 just ain't the same as a 1965 Mustang.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I’m not a typically a political guy, but this has certainly opened my eyes.

No support from the Middletown appeal board, Common Council or the Mayor. Nov 3 is coming! It’s not a significant year for local voting, but there are a few on the ballot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
and the sheep keep voting democrat because they promise fwee stuff... lol and then wonder why they are taxed up the a$$... I live in California, it is being completely ruined by King Gavin Newsome, socialist idiot...