17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default Connecticut: Registration, Inspection & Emissions

Following comments are from my experience in the summer of 2000, may or may not have been changes since then. Jay @ Vintage Motorsports and anyone else that has registerted a Kit Car in CT , from your experiences , especially recent, any changes. corrections, additions etc., etc.,

"It is possible to register a kit car in CT, or as CT refers to them,Composite, but research on the requirements , preparation of the car, and having the proper paperwork will greatly ease the process. :

*** Emissions, from the CT DMV:

The Emissions requirements for all composite vehicles are still the same, the emissions test is a two speed idle test with cutpoints at 800 PPMs HCs and 4% CO
All composite vehicles are tested based on the year the vehicle was inspected and registered, Not the year of the engine, if a Composite vehicle fails and the owner makes an attempt to get the vehicle to pass and still fails, the DMV will verify the age of the engine and if the engine is from pre emissions era.the DMV could issue a Diagnostic waiver.the Diagnostic waiver is good for 2 years.
I hope this helps and if you would like to call me if you think of any other questions

Dan Jalbert
DMV Emissions Div
PH # 203-805-6230

Vehicle will need emissions testing every two years until 25 years old from year of 1st CT registration.

*** Obtain from the DMV publication R-157 Composite Motor Vehicles, approach the topics with 100% compliance, anything less, the risk is not passing the inspection. I confirmed as of March 2006, that R-157 is still current

*** As a check list before the inspection, I obtained a copy of the Inspection Form from the DMV

*** You will need separate Bills of Sale for the engine, transmission and rear end in addition to the Cobra.....mandatory, used to establish the items are not stolen. I had the documents notarized as an additional precaution

*** CT does not allow temp plates for Composites/KitCars, must be trailered for inspection.

*** The Anti-Theft unit of DMV will research any out of state VIN for previously registered vehicles

*** I used heat shields for the side exhaust, dB level was not questioned and I did not have baffles. Testing is in an enclosed building. Only comment from the inspector was, the exhaust is loud. Another Cobra ahead of me did not pass due to the absence of heat shields for the side pipes.

*** Insurance one source, in addition to others, for Agreed Value and Liability insurance:

Michael Smith
NorthEast Classic Auto Insurance
PO Box 287
Monroe CT 06468
800-866-6440
203-459-9789

Track time is not allowed.

*** The year of the vehicle will be the year 1st registered in CT with the name of Composite. The Anti-Theft unit applies a new VIN tag that will start with CT XXXXXXX : Name of Cobra will be as an example: 2006 Composite

*** A single Bill of Sale will be accepted for payment of the CT sales tax.

*** Back in 2000, the only site for inspections was in Wethersfield at the main DMV office, by appointment only. I was asked where the trailer was in the parking lot.

*** Underside is inspected using a drive on lift.

*** Brake Test, accelerate with hands off the steering wheel and then hard application of the brakes, looking for a pull to one side

*** Handbrake test in gear, some inspectors ask for first gear and watch which gear is being selected

*** Since registering, I added a front license plate bracket. Over the past few years, a number of tickets issued for " No front license plate " While I would have preferred the Cobra w/o the front license plate, one less reason for a traffic stop, i.e. probable cause, which then could start other complications.

*** I was asked if the Cobra was home built or by a professional. Since the Cobra was not home built , the subject was dropped. I do not know if a home built receives additional inspections and/or scrutiny

*** CT may or may not accept an out of state registration of a Composite/Kit Car as a Ford or Cobra. My Cobra was legally registered with a State prepared Title in another state as a Ford with the actual VIN from a 1966 Ford and a Title Company had not been used, all the paperwork was legal for that state. Once DMV recognized the vehicle as a kit car, could not use the out of state documents for registration but had to go the Composite route. Value of paying extra for a pre-owned Cobra with a registration/title of 1966 year of vehicle is negated as the CT documents will read the current year and name of auto as Composite.

NOTE: Update as of May 3rd from the replies in this Thread and other comments:

*** " When you arrive you must go to the cashier and pay for the inspection. Once you pass inspection you must go inside again and wait in line to pay the cashier for the VIN fee. Expect the entire process to take a minimum of 3 hours while you are there, I have experienced 6 hour times as well."

*** An alignment meter, toe in and toe out, is the first step in the inspection process

*** An unknown is the specific DMV regulation regarding dB level, a meter may or may not be used. Reading might be taken within the enclosed inspection building which will only make the side pipes sound louder, traps might help. The max dB " might " be 80, but the unknown is the RPM and distance for measuring.

*** Retests w/o additional inspection fees most be completed within 30 days of the first inspection

*** Establishing a friendly rapport and understanding with the Inspector might be a plus for the discretionary inspection items, remember they, the Inspectors, did not write the regulations.

*** A Composite, same as any other auto in CT, can be registered for estate planning purposes, in a revocable Trust using the owners name as the owner of the Trust

*** " The vehicle will also require a new emissions test performed at an emissions testing station. Some vehicles are exempt from emissions testing. To determine if your vehicle is exempt from emissions testing, please refer to the listing of exempt vehicles."

NOTE: Update as of May 4th:

" Note: Starting January 1, 2007 newly completed composite vehicles will need to have an engine that will meet new composite vehicle emissions standards. The standards that will be in effect are equivalent to the two-speed idle standards for 1980 and newer passenger cars and light trucks or 1988 and newer engines from trucks in the 8501 to 10,000 lb. GVWR range. Composite vehicles classified as 2006 model year and older will continue to be subject to existing standards which are approximately equivalent to the two-speed idle standards at a level somewhere between that for 1968 and 1973 vehicles."

*** CT DMV web site for Composites

Composite Vehicles

A composite motor vehicle is defined by statute as "Any motor vehicle, composed or assembled from several parts of other motor vehicles, or the identification and body contours of which are so altered that the vehicle no longer bears the characteristics of any specific make of motor vehicle. Any vehicle not assembled by a manufacturer licensed as such in the State of Connecticut is classified as a composite motor vehicle."

Before a composite vehicle can be registered, the following requirements must be met:
Vehicle must pass a composite vehicle inspection. All composite inspections are done at the Wethersfield Office inspection lane by appointment only. Please contact the DMV Phone Center to schedule an appointment.

Note: Composite motor vehicles must be transported on a flat bed trailer or car carrier to the inspection site (not to be driven or towed; no wheel of the vehicle may touch the ground) except if validly registered in another state or if the owner is a licensed dealer or repairer.

The vehicle will also require a new emissions test performed at an emissions testing station. Some vehicles are exempt from emissions testing. To determine if your vehicle is exempt from emissions testing, please refer to the listing of exempt vehicles.

Note: Starting January 1, 2007 newly completed composite vehicles will need to have an engine that will meet new composite vehicle emissions standards. The standards that will be in effect are equivalent to the two-speed idle standards for 1980 and newer passenger cars and light trucks or 1988 and newer engines from trucks in the 8501 to 10,000 lb. GVWR range. Composite vehicles classified as 2006 model year and older will continue to be subject to existing standards which are approximately equivalent to the two-speed idle standards at a level somewhere between that for 1968 and 1973 vehicles.

Bring the Certificate of Titles of all vehicles used for major component parts or one Title, plus receipts, for the parts of the other vehicles used. If the parts are from used vehicles, make sure the receipts specify the vehicle identification number (VIN). No Title is needed for non-major component parts (examples of major parts are: engine, cowls, transmission, frame, doors, trunk lid, front and rear fenders and quarter panels).

An Application for Inspection of Composite Motor Vehicle (form R-95) must be completed and be accompanied by two photographs of the vehicle as well as supporting documents showing proof of ownership. An Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (form H-13) must also be completed.

At the time of inspection a VIN will be assigned by the Inspector. The year assigned to the vehicle will be the year in which the vehicle was built. On your registration and title documents, the make will be specified as "Composite."
The current inspection fee is $88 and a fee of $50 is charged for the assignment of a VIN.

Note: No appointment is necessary for a re-inspection, however, the re-inspection must still be performed at the Wethersfield Office inspection lane.

...........continued

Last edited by Don; 05-10-2006 at 01:07 PM..
Old 04-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Don did a very nice writeup. Everything he states is current. Weathersfield is the only inspection station for this. You will have 30 days to return for no-fee re-inspection if you do fail.

When you arrive you must go to the cashier and pay for the inspection. Once you pass inspection you must go inside again and wait in line to pay the cashier for the VIN fee. Expect the entire process to take a minimum of 3 hours while you are there, I have experienced 6 hour times as well.

One thing not in the above is that they will have you drive over an alignment meter (toe in or toe out) as the first step of the inspection.

I have heard that recent inspections have included the use of a dB meter though we have not experienced this firsthand in our last 3 inspections. There are ways to quiet things down and you should use them to avoid the additional scrutiny.

The staff that does the inspection has been reduced and moved to other stations. I am not positive who the current lineup is but go in there with a smile and keep smiling. They have a thankless job in a bad work environment.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

The real fun is when you show up with a Cobra which you bought used. In many cases you do not have the paperwork for the engine, xmission or rearend. The staff in Weathersfield does not care that you bought it as a unit. You flunk.

Bob
Old 04-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct
The real fun is when you show up with a Cobra which you bought used. In many cases you do not have the paperwork for the engine, xmission or rearend. The staff in Weathersfield does not care that you bought it as a unit. You flunk.

Bob
In that case you should have a Bill of Sale/Receipt drafted by the seller for the engine and transmission with the serial number of the engine (you can stamp it) and the transmission. The rear end issue has not presented a problem but you can serialize that too and have the seller include it in the document.

Though I have never had to go this route it was discussed once at Weathersfield.

The bigger problem is when some pinhead somewhere else in the country enters a part number for transmission etc. and then that number sets off the anti-theft machines later.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While I might have covered the majority of procedural and technical issues, Jay's words of advice and wisdom could make the difference between pass and fail.

With all the integrity problems in the State and the legal problems with emissions testing and fradulent licenses, the DMV operates under a microscope.

The front line DMV inspectors did not write the rules and regulations, even though we may disagree and determine they are unrealistic. If there are gray areas where discretion is allowed, a positive approach goes a long way, sometimes easier to say than follow.

In my case, the Anti-Theft inspectors were extremely professional, explained each step along with the why's and took great care when affixing the VIN tag.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427
Not Ranked     

I am scheduled for Fri. the 21st @ 8am. I'll let you know how I make out...

-Mike
Old 04-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Don,
When you get to know them they let you put the VIN sticker on
Old 04-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobracobra
I am scheduled for Fri. the 21st @ 8am. I'll let you know how I make out...

-Mike
Mike,
A customer of ours has a car there the same day. I think it maybe at 10am though. Hope you have quiet pipes
Old 04-16-2006, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For 1 day I wish I had quiet pipes. Borrowing a set of trapps and heat shield for the exhaust that my friend just went through a couple of weeks ago and had no problems. He's got a 427 SO as do I but mine is stroked. I'll update everyone on here. Tell your friend if he wants to meet me there @ 7:45am (I know loooonnnnggg day) he can and at least see me go through the fire first.

-Mike
Old 04-16-2006, 06:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, " if " the side pipes are questioned, would you let us know whether the Inspectors use a dB meter or their judgement/discretion in determining what level of sound is too loud.

Somewhere ( ? ) , I had seen the term reasonable w/o a technical spec. Also, if the dB is measured, the distance from the side pipes and whether at idle or a requested RPM. Due to the judgement factor, I would like to think there has to be a published standard. If the test arrangement is still the same as in 2000, the exhaust sound will be louder within the enclosed inpection lane.

Guess on my part, the open pipe or unrestricted muffler on Harley's would also be considered loud but have never heard of a Harley failing inspection for the exhaust dB
Old 04-16-2006, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well my experience so far was when I went with the other Unique owner about 1 month ago they failed him for sound. Granted it was loud but a DB meter was not present. A week later he went down again, this time he had the traps put on and felt that it was "night and day". A different inspector showed up and said "failed". showed him on the DB meter of I beleive it was 83 DB (if im not mistaken it's 80 DBa max). So convinced was he that he went out and purchased a high end DB meter and he came up w/ 68DBa. Come to find out the meter has 2 settings and the 2nd setting came in at 83 which I beleive is not to be used in testing vehicles. So he printed the results out and brought them w/ him, but this time another inspector was present and once started didnt even bother pulling out his meter because he new the sound was considerbly lower, hence "passed". And as for bikes goes, I questioned the inspector on this and he stated " once inspected the owners most likely will but on there straight pipes", also I beleive the DBa for bikes are 90. Not sure about distance measured to the pipes but I will base line mine before and after outside and print out the results. Thanks god I bought a trailer, sure takes a lot of pressure off of me in case I fail. THINK POSITIVE i keep reminding myself......

-Mike
Old 04-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It took me three trips to pass inspection. The 1st fail was for paperwork when I did not have the separate Bills of Sale for the drivetrain, 2nd fail was for a single nut/bolt that was loose in the suspension. I was not allowed to correct in the parking lot but had to reschedule another inspection date/time.

The third time during the inspection on the lift. I had a bolt which was fully tightened , but the number of threads of the bolt exposed past the nut when tight was insufficient. The Inspector mentioned that this was reason for a fail, but ........a pass was given. I truly believe the pass goes back to Jay's point on maintaining a positive attitude and rapport with the Inspector.

Other than the Inspector on the first trip mentioning the side pipes were loud, the other two Inspectors did not comment on the side pipes.

Last edited by Don; 04-16-2006 at 11:07 AM..
Old 04-17-2006, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

Don,

Thanks for that excellent summary of the process. I bought John Macmahon's FIA Contemporary and will try the process shortly. Hopefully things will go smoothly but based on everyones experience should be interesting.

Stu
Old 04-17-2006, 05:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Regarding the Bill of Sales for the engine, transmission and rear end. I did not have any serial numbers, but after having failed this portion once, I took great care to have the documents properly prepared.

The documents were typed with the buyers and sellers name, address and phone numbers. Included was a description of the part w/ some details rather than just stating as an example, transmission. Having failed this portion once, I wanted the documents to be as complete as possible and appear professional, as opposed to a handwritten scrap of paper.

The documents were Notarized for the seller's signature. When presenting the documents, there were no questions by either the Inspectors or Anti-Theft Unit.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

Excellent review, Don.

Curious about the emissions waiver, though. Suppose you fail emissions twice and you have a new aluminum Robert Pond block. Those blocks have a C6AE-H serial number. Do you think the inspectors are shrewd enough to recognize it as a new block, or might you get away with saying it's a vintage block?

phil
Old 04-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil, to the best of my knowledge, the emissions portion is still separate from the safety/paperwork Inspection at Wethersfield. If an answer to your question is needed, contact:

Dan Jalbert
DMV Emissions Div
PH # 203-805-6230

Jay, with the new emissions inspection arrangement at the individual garages, how is the emissions testing now being handled ? When the previous system was in use, I trailered the Cobra to the state emissions testing station, could not use temp plates.

Jay, just thought of another point & your opinion. Dealer plates cannot be used to drive the Cobra to Wethersfield. Regulation is a Kit car cannot be driven on the streets until the inspection is passed ? I wonder if the CT inspection could still take place prior to purchase using the original owner's plates/registration for a pre-owned Cobra ?

Last edited by Don; 04-18-2006 at 06:28 AM..
Old 04-18-2006, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CT Registration GT40

Sorry for the intrusion on the Cobra owners, but I was told that you guys were the most knowledgable regarding CT kit/composite vehicle registration. I just recently inherited a GT40 from my father and am trying to determine the best way to register the car as a CT resident. My father lived in MA and always had it registered in Maine and never had a problem. I understand that even though the vehicle remains registered in Maine there may still be a requirement to pass CT Composite inspection???

If anyone has any insight into GT40 CT registration and or out of state registration living in CT, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul.

Last edited by v6070; 04-18-2006 at 08:28 AM..
Old 04-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul, to the best of my knowledge, any type of Kit or assembled car, home or professional built, which includes the SPF etc., the same Composite rules will apply that are mentioned in this Thread.

If there were any unfortunate cicumstances, having a vehicle garaged in one state and registered in another could present challenges, from a property tax ,insurance and emissions point of view, especially if there is a traffic stop with an out of state registration.

What I am not sure of: Can the out of state registration and plates, prior to transfer of title/registration, be used to drive the Composite to Wethersfield for the CT inspection rather than having to bring on a trailer? If the GT40 is registered in CT, the name of the GT40 on the registration and title will be Composite and the year will be the year first registered in CT

Having received different answers to other questions via phone and e-mail, you might want to consider going to Wethersfield and discussing with an informed senior official if you do decide to register in CT. While the standard DMV information desk is helpful for the normal questions, this question, using out of state plates/registration for the inspection, might require an informed ruling. If it is a go, suggest you know the DMV officials name and title, should the Inspectors ask any questions

Last edited by Don; 04-18-2006 at 10:58 AM..
Old 04-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Our customer went through this morning at 10am with no problems. Hope everyone else made out ok.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

glad to here BackDraft owner went through ok. I had to postpone mine until 8am fri. of next week due to mechanical issues last minute. I put the sound trapps on my car and recorded 68 DBa @ 50ft. Jay do you know if they tested the sound also? My stroked 427 S/O is a little lumpy, if you know what I meen......
-Mike

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: