LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2006, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Importing Cobras to Canada

Hello All

Though I'm leaning towards a TurnTen/D&D Cobra product when I pull the trigger to purchase my Cobra, I'm curious as to the challenges of importing and registering (not to mention insurance) a Cobra kit, roller, turn-key minus or new/used Cobra runner into "the Great White North." I've heard that it's quite tricky, but wondering what experiences Forum members might have had.

In addition to the great work that Don and D&D seems to be doing, I've become a fan of ERA, Shell Valley, Superformance and Backdraft products.

I'd love to hear from anybody who has got a kit or fully built and running car across the border, specifically their challenges (and hopefully how the overcame them).
Old 06-08-2006, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well...

http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

Section 2..., seems to suggest that the primary way is for the car to be over 15 years old. Mentions that no kit car under 15 years old (assembled or unassembled) is admissable.

I'll be following this thread for sure..., since my future plans may make it..., uh..., pertinent.

Good Luck!
Old 06-08-2006, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW..., do you have any contact info (URL..., email...) for TurnTen?

Thx!
Old 06-09-2006, 03:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

You might want to consider purchasing a SPF. They are already in Canada. They have a dealership in Concord, Ont. I think Jonnex might still be there too. I saw them at last years R&M auction.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American

Last edited by 427SnakeSC; 06-09-2006 at 03:47 AM..
Old 06-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

List of web sites for various manufacturers included in a zip file (Excel) on another thread, including Turn Ten Racing.

List of Manufacturers
Old 06-09-2006, 03:30 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

My ERA was first built in 1989 and titled in 1990, I guess that means I could sell it to someone in Canada then ,,,,,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-09-2006, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiecanuck
Hello All

Though I'm leaning towards a TurnTen/D&D Cobra product when I pull the trigger to purchase my Cobra, I'm curious as to the challenges of importing and registering (not to mention insurance) a Cobra kit, roller, turn-key minus or new/used Cobra runner into "the Great White North." I've heard that it's quite tricky, but wondering what experiences Forum members might have had.

In addition to the great work that Don and D&D seems to be doing, I've become a fan of ERA, Shell Valley, Superformance and Backdraft products.

I'd love to hear from anybody who has got a kit or fully built and running car across the border, specifically their challenges (and hopefully how the overcame them).
Hi Rob,
I really think you can't go wrong with D&D, of course I am bias . You won't be limited in any way by import problems as far as options or parts like most of the imported kits. This opens up all of the performance options to you such as swaybars, special chassis pieces and engine set-ups without a problem from the Ministry of Transportation. You will also have Canadian sales and service. Don can do turnkey minus cars as well as the rollers so you do not have to search for a builder or a dealer.

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudlakester
BTW..., do you have any contact info (URL..., email...) for TurnTen?

Thx!
Email: sales@turntenracing.com
Phone: (585)223-5917

Old 06-09-2006, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Mike

Long time no talk - hope you are well. I had some questions of Don regarding the car, but I can't call him right now as I'm on the road. I thought maybe you might interested in taking a crack at them, as most of them are probably questions most potential customers might have. Don, if you're tracking this thread, I will follow up with you the last week in June when I'm back in the country. Mike, I'm asking a lot of questions that might need a detailed response, so if you can't answer them or it takes a few days, no worries.

Here are my questions:

I'm an ex university football player, and stand about 6'3" and 275lbs (working on this, but doubt I will ever get down to anything close to 200). As well. I've got a long torso relative to my legs (my inseam is 34"), so I'm a little worried about my forehead sticking up in the windstream. It seems your square tube chassis might be a little better suited to me, though the traditionalist in me prefers a round tube frame.

I might be interested in purchasing a runner sans paint. One of my father's best friends is a body shop guy and a classic car restorer. He has painted several show cars and countless classic car restorations, including several award winners. He has also painted a couple of Cobra kits in the past and has offered to paint it at a substantial discount, somewhat less than your quote. Could we work out something out here?

Some simpler questions:

How true to the original Shelby Cobra is your body?
How much does your car weigh on the street with a small block ford?
Again though I'm a traditionalist, I love what you did with your EVO4 for the Pennsylvania show interior-wise. What kind of premium would you need if you were to reproduce that? I probably would still lean to a traditional interior, but there is someting about the way your interpretation looks.
Are you building a reasonable stockpile of spares? For example, if I have a fender-bender, can you courier me trim parts and the like next day or within a few days?
Old 06-10-2006, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiecanuck
Hey Mike

Here are my questions:

I'm an ex university football player, and stand about 6'3" and 275lbs (working on this, but doubt I will ever get down to anything close to 200). As well. I've got a long torso relative to my legs (my inseam is 34"), so I'm a little worried about my forehead sticking up in the windstream. It seems your square tube chassis might be a little better suited to me, though the traditionalist in me prefers a round tube frame.

I might be interested in purchasing a runner sans paint. One of my father's best friends is a body shop guy and a classic car restorer. He has painted several show cars and countless classic car restorations, including several award winners. He has also painted a couple of Cobra kits in the past and has offered to paint it at a substantial discount, somewhat less than your quote. Could we work out something out here?

Some simpler questions:

How true to the original Shelby Cobra is your body?
How much does your car weigh on the street with a small block ford?
Again though I'm a traditionalist, I love what you did with your EVO4 for the Pennsylvania show interior-wise. What kind of premium would you need if you were to reproduce that? I probably would still lean to a traditional interior, but there is someting about the way your interpretation looks.
Are you building a reasonable stockpile of spares? For example, if I have a fender-bender, can you courier me trim parts and the like next day or within a few days?
O.K. lets get started:

You should ask yourself what you plan to use the Cobra for most of the time, Cruising, Drag Racing, Track? Don can build you an EVO 5 to fit you if you need the maximum performance.

I think the EVO 4 square tube frame may be more to your liking as far as comfort. I don't think your height will be an issue in either frame, but the EVO 4 is more roomy. Round tube is a wonderful thing, but keep in mind these are replicas and the square tube frame has many "street" advantages.

If you would like a Turnkey minus without paint, Don can do that, but you will have to ask him because you are ordering in Canada. I only have control over U.S. sales. Keep in mind pricing is different in Canada as well. D&D is a true "Hot Rod" shop so anything is possible when it comes to rollers.

The interior of the EVO 4 at Carlisle was very expensive and done by the guys at D&D Cobra. They will duplicate it for you or do any type of custom work that you would like. I can get a price for you on that as well, but I would like to discuss that of line.

D&D keeps a large stock of custom part spares. A large number of the parts we use are produced by Ford or other large companies so they should always be available. Trim, accessories and hardware are sourced from the same suppliers that the rest of the industry uses, so we can get you those parts in short order as well.

Don can probably give you some better anwsers as far as price and completion in Canada. If you get a chance, go to London Ohio for the Cobra show. We are bring down the EVO 4 that was at Carlisle and a Turnkey minus EVO 5.