28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The trans is easy, I plan to buy a new TKO600 very soon, but the engine is still up in the air and potentially may still be up in the air come January 2nd. So, will I need an estimate and/or receipts for both engine and tranny in hand in order to get the SB100# on January 2nd?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You will need the estimates for the Statement of Construction to be filled out properly for calculating Use Tax.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 351W to 393 Twisted Wedge Heads, Holley double pumper
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8or
Bx1 TOP= Temporary Operating Permit. It's that red sticker you see on some car windows with a number on it that represents the month it expires.

Rodney,
I got my SB100 number without a complete car. You can do the same. If you already started the registration process for SPCNS then the easiest thing to do is to get a written quote for engine and trans. Use that number on the Statement of Construction or whatever the form is called. Getting the SB100 number is just a formality at the DMV and you get a receipt. The cert will show up in the mail as Jdog said. Once you have that you schedule your appointment with CHP and then BAR. Then return to DMV with all the paperwork and get your plates.
Thanks, I am the 3rd owner of Superformance and is registered as a 1965 Ford. It has always been a CA registered vehicle and reg. as a 1965.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you don't know already, then you will have to go through the SPCNS/SB100 process, since the CA DMV will eventually spotlight your registration as being incorrect since your SPF was not built in 1965. Just a matter of time. Perform a search on threads started or just on the posts by/of a CC member named Morgester (sp?).
Old 11-29-2007, 04:19 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

My situation seems to be different than most in that I have a Superformance that may be legally registered in California outside the SB100. It is an Arizona car and CA DMV registered it and gave me a CA title using the VIN assigned by Arizona. In posts by Mr. Morgester, he commented that there MAY be a legal loophole making me legal, but no final word yet.

Possible loophole notwithstanding, I am going to try for a SB100 number and now have a completed "Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number Plate" (REG 124) signed by the CHP in hand. However, they didn't give me a new VIN Plate, the inspector simply wrote my Arizona VIN in the box titled "Identification or Explanation, If None" and wrote slashes throught the "VIN Plate Affixed ..." boxes. The make and year he wrote in are SPCNS and 0000, respectively. That "0000" is not a typo on my part.

I assumed that I should then fill out some form with the DMV, so I went there with my signed REG 124 and was told that all I now need to do is show up with it on January 2nd. I asked if I needed anything else and was told "no".

Since I don't want to miss the chance to get my number, can someone in the know tell me if the DMV is correct, or do I need to do anything else before January 2nd?

For example, California DMV did not require a smog test for the car when I registered it 4 months ago, but do I need one now? California also did not require an inspection of the car. Does it need one now? Anything else?

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Working on This
Not Ranked     
Default Yet One More Question...

If I purchase a CSX 4000/7000 or Kirkham or other similar vehicle that is legally licensed and titled in another state, let's say Colorado or Texas for instance, does California honor that registration?

Sincerely not looking for any loopholes, but if they do not, it would seem to me that one might have some legal recourse against either the DMV of the State where the car was once legally registered or perhaps even against California DMV. Some time ago, I inherited a car that was my Moms. Car was legally registered and licensed in Illinois and was 49-state smog legal, but not California. I paid $300 one time fee to get my CA plates and was good to go. Why would it be any different for a CSX/Kirkham/similar vehicle that was legally registered/licensed in another state?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Check out the many, many SB 100 or California Registration threads on this site (registration forum). It doesn't matter which state or when the car was registered for an out of state SPCNS (assembled vehicle). California is different than all others when it comes to emissions and that's what all the fuss is about. Even Mr. Morgester hinted recently on this site that having a fully original 1965 engine may not get you through the registration process any longer for an assembled vehicle.

If you buy out of State, plan on going the SB 100 process or don't buy the vehicle, they will not register it in this State. And, by the way, you have to notify the Cal DMV within 10 days of bringing it into the State that it's here and then state your intent for registering it if you want to use it on the street under a TOP. Best of luck. You might be there in line right along with Rodney and me.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Actually Morgester suggested that a case could be made that a legal out-of-state title must be accepted by CA (ie: I buy a 1965 Cobra Replica from Arizona with a legal 1965 title). He also suggested that as of Jan 1 the BAR may no longer allow one to meet the smog requirements of the year of the block.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, shhhhh, ix-nay on the ine-lay. Don't tell anyone about January 2nd. We need to increase our chances anyway we possibly can.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Actually, California will register an out of state car. As I described in my post above, my car was brought in from out of state - Arizona - and was registered in California without a hitch. It was my posting describing that event that prompted Morgester to say there may be a legal loophole for SPCNs titled out of state.

Can anyone answer my questions from my above post? Do I need an inspection? Do I need smog? California DMV says no, but I just want to double check as they haven't always been correct on SB100 issues.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The SB100 process requires, in theory, a CHP visit, a smog inspection and a brake and light check. With the CHP officer writing SPNS and 0000, the DMV computers may pick up a contradiction in the titling info (from 4 months ago) that could cause you some issues down the road. Just speculating, I doubt anyone could give you a definitive answer.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Chuck, I think you are going to be just fine...

Years ago, right after Morgester informed me that my vehicle was illegally titled, I took the title to my "1965 Ford" to the local DMV to have it changed to a "2001 SPCN". I gave the clerk the title, and said, "My vehicle is a 2001 SPCN, not a 1965 Ford. Can you please help me change it?". She entered the data into her compooper, printed for me a receipt, handed me a TOP, acquired an SB100 Sequence Number, and handed me a VIN verification form. I visited the CHP, who signed my VIN verification, and after I received my Certificate of Sequence a few weeks later, I then made an appointment with local BAR ref to get my Smog Exempt sticker. After getting the sticker, I gathered my paperwork and went back to the DMV, who took all my paperwork, printed for me another receipt and gave me another TOP. A few weeks later I received a new title in the mail. (I don't recall exactly when I received the new reg and plate stickers, but either way, it all worked out).

You should have a very similar experience, eventho you went to the DMV & CHP before acquiring an SB100 number. The key to remember is that one can title a SPCN without an SB100 number - tho these two processes CAN go hand-in-hand, they are really separate processes. The issue is that the DMV requires your vehicle to be smog compliant, and it is the BAR ref who will determine that. Having an SB100 number gives you the option of which smog requirements to meet when at the BAR (most with an SB100 number, choose year of body style, which is the real value of an SB100 number). So, when you leave the BAR, you must be smog compliant before the DMV will finalize the title process.

WRT your question about "inspection", the DMV may or may not require you to acquire a Brake & Lamp inspection. This is easy, since the requirements are so minimal and your SPF ought to pass. Honestly, if your brakes are bad (excessively worrn) that you should change them regardless. Other than that, they only check your headlights, brake and parking lights, and turn signals. That's it. No big deal. It will cost you about $90 ($45 for each inspection).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Randy...

Last edited by Randy Rosenberg; 11-30-2007 at 08:11 AM..
Old 12-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Most people that have gone through the SB100 process say that there's no advantage to making an appoint at the DMV (larger DMV offices take SB100 applicants through the process as a group).

That being said, it would make sense to have an appt. time in hand on January 2nd. You can make appts. 30 days in advance.

Would tonight at 12:01 AM (i.e. Sunday 12/2) be the first opportunity to make an appt. or would it be 12:01 am on Monday 12/3?

Update:

Just took a look at the calendar...looks like 12:01 AM Monday (12/3) would be the first chance to make an appt. for January 2. Also, based on what I saw last year, it didn't appear as though every DMV office was open the first official business day of the year.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 12-01-2007 at 06:10 PM..
Old 12-01-2007, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dont wait to get your SB100 in 2009,you dont know if SB100 will be available then or even how lucky you will be to get a available # as they go very quick each year!get it Jan 2.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

It was 4 years ago but I showed up 30 minutes before opening on the 1st business day without an appointment ((didn't think about it, duh!) anyway there were 5 of us trying for our SB #s and we were dealt with as a group. When the doors opened there is a greeter who asks what your business is and she directs you to the appropriate window to stand in line. The line had 4 guys in front of me and we were like I said dealt with as a group. A person was designated to call Sacramento for the #'s and of course the line was busy,busy,busy. They had to keep dialing over and over and when they finally got through were able to process all our numbers together. After an hour and a half or so...we were told we could leave and they would contact us as soon as they got someone on the other line. 11:30 am I was called and told to return to the DMV and given my paperwork and SB number. I would suggest no matter what time your appointment is for I would be in line before they open the doors because I'm sure by noon it will be too late. I believe there is one number in Sacramento that deals with SB#'s and all the DMV's around Calif are calling until they get through. This you need to insist on and make sure someone keeps hitting redial or forget it. Offer to do it yourself if necessary. Things may have changed in 4 years but I think the rush for numbers has only increased. Good Luck!! It feels like winning the lottery when you have it in your hand. (Although I personally have never won the lottery).

John