1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-03-2007, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     
Default Sb100 Process

I already have my sequence number, that part is completed. Now I am getting ready to have my car inspected and get it registered but have some questions because I see some differences within the forum on the process or details thereof on the continuation to finalize the registration.

Is this right? In this order...

- Go to DMV for TOP.
- Is that a 3 day or 30 day TOP I can get?
- Is there a web link to the paper work I must have?
- CHP Inspection for VIN.
- BAR for final inspection.
- Do I have to get a light inspection first?
- Do I have to have a PCV valve? I only have a breather?
- Do I have to get a temporary reverse light?
- DMV for plates where I shell out the cash.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Xavier, I went through this process about 3-4 years ago. There is a DMV form to take to the CHP Vin officer...not sure the number but you can find that out. Personally I wouldn't worry about a TOP with all your paper work in hand but that's just me. The Vin officer issues you a vin number and attaches it to your car, mine was very careful in attaching it to the driver's side inner door panel. Then it was off to the BAR, make an appointment, filled some paperwork out...in my case I registered it under year (65) of Body not engine. The Bar attached a sticker inside firewall stating SB# 1964 block excemption. No smog inspections required. I went back to the DMV and they handed me the plates right then. No light inspection, no reverse light inspection. I do think the bar looked at my gas cap to see that it was sized for unleaded. When your there don't forget to turn your fan on...car is at idle for a few minutes. I found the process was a piece of cake as long as you have your SP# in hand. Good luck!

John
Old 09-03-2007, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

Thanks John. The reason for the TOP is so I can drive the car there and to all the other places I need to, thats it. I don't want to have to tow it to the CHP or drive it without a TOP.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Xavier,

I believe the TOP is for a couple of months. Mine was for 2, some have gotten it for 3 months.

Search this site for SB100 info. There is a lot of it. But you can also go on the California DMV site and get all the paperwork you need to fill out. You already have a sequence number from I suppose 2007? So, you may have done all you need to at this point.

Off to DMV for VIN number. Take whatever paperwork you have with you. In my case they ended up using the Backdraft number as my VIN number. Others have had their's assigned.

After that they should send you to the BAR for a "smog sniff" to establish baseline emissions.

Then you may have to find a brake and light inspection place. Good luck on finding one of those! I was asked about a back up light, but I told them as a replica of a '65 the car would not have one. They signed off on it after that explanation.

The BAR will advise you about smog gear. The SB100 exempts you from most of the equipment.

Fees paid at DMV. Didn't you have to do that already? I had to up front based on sale price of the vehicle. taxes, fees, etc. on the first day. Maybe they collect at the end now. It actually makes more sense.

Good luck.

SkipB
Old 09-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier
I already have my sequence number, that part is completed. Now I am getting ready to have my car inspected and get it registered but have some questions because I see some differences within the forum on the process or details thereof on the continuation to finalize the registration.

Is this right? In this order...

- Go to DMV for TOP.
- Is that a 3 day or 30 day TOP I can get?
- Is there a web link to the paper work I must have?
- CHP Inspection for VIN.
- BAR for final inspection.
- Do I have to get a light inspection first?
- Do I have to have a PCV valve? I only have a breather?
- Do I have to get a temporary reverse light?
- DMV for plates where I shell out the cash.

Thanks.
Since you already have a sequence number, then you must have alredy submitted the request for title form, paid your use tax and registration fees, and submitted your MSO. You should have received from the DMV (on the day you applied for title) a TOP and a CHP VIN verification form. If your TOP has expired, then you are correct that you need a new one - get one for at least 3 months, if you can - the longer the better, since it usually takes a while to get the VIN verified, the BAR inspection and brake/lamp inspection (if required <- the DMV would have told you this already when you applied for the title).

With a valid TOP, call the CHP and schedule a VIN verification. Call the BAR and schedule a smog inspection. I didn't have a PCV and I got my SB100 sticker. Call for a brake/lamp inspection. BTW, it's best to get the CHP to verify the VIN first, then you can go to either the BAR or Brake/Lamp in any order - the later two will want to use the VIN number for the paperwork, so that is why it's best to get the CHP VIN verification done first.

Hope this helps,
Randy...
Old 09-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

The form that you'll need to take to the CHP is REG 343.

Doug

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Most of my registration process is now complete; DMV, CHP and BAR are all completed. All I now have to do is get my plates. Obviously I am happier than hell as everything went painless and very quick. The BAR was much simplier than I thought and was as complicated, or less, than getting an oil change.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I apologize for stealing this thread, but I have a question about my DMV appointment yesterday. The DMV office I chose has some experience with the SB100 process, based upon my research here on the CC Forum. The DMV clerk was familiar with the concept of SB100, but she kept having to walk around the DMV to ask various people questions. Based on info I received from CC, I had to help her navigate the steps involved although I'm no expert. The supervisor was out on maternity leave, but I do plan to meet with her a couple of weeks before the end of the year.

Anyway, I just purchased my Cobra and immediately made my appointment to start the process. I have no engine or transmission yet. I gave them all the forms (MSO, 5036 and 343) and paid my taxes and fees. They gave me all the forms back, took my money, gave me a 90-day TOP (thru January 2008) and a CHP VIN assignment form with a receipt labeled "incomplete registration." Aren't they supposed to keep some of this paperwork? I don't want to show up on 1st business day of the New Year and be be behind the 8-ball. Your help will be sincerely appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up More taxes!

Rod you have jumped the gun a little bit with the registration. You really only need to do that when your ready to drive or Jan 2nd (which ever comes first!).

This just means that your renewal fees will be due again this time next year, no matter when you get it on the road.

Also, DMV may reject your registration for not including reciepts for engine trans, ect., for tax purposes! This State frowns on tax evaders! You'll need to ammend your registration application to include these.

When do you plan on installing an engine?

Good luck!
jdog
Old 11-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the response jdog. Yep, I'm already confused. I thought I needed to submit paperwork prior to the SB100 lottery on January 2nd.

I'm in the process of deciding on what type of engine right now, but looking at the calendar, and that fact that it's November 1 already, it will probably be early next year before an engine is installed. There's a place on one of the forms where I thought you give the DMV an estimate. The one I gave was legitmate and conservative for the engine and transmission, especially since this work will probably be performed in my friend's home garage.

At any rate, the DMV gave me back all the paperwork, so I'll have to resubmit it again. Do I resubmit the paperwork on January 2nd while at the same time attempting to get a 2008 SB100 #? Help please.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

My wife will be in line, just ahead of you to secure a SB100 on January 2nd.

I'm also within the process, but with a finished car, actually a Cobra that was already registered and they took it away (registration, license plates, pink slip) - long story - anyway, my understanding is that you cannot easily apply for a SB100 unless you have a finished car - although that may not be the case - in your case it's all about the DMV's 'view' of whether or not you have a 'real' car that can be registered down the line with sufficient processes already completed, i.e. fees paid, etc. I'm thinking that you have gone through the steps - with the primary step the payment of DMV fees.

In my case, a VIN has been assigned with the next step trying for a SB100 - if that happens - next: lights and brakes - last BAR (smog) - all the paperwork goes to the DMV locally - done!

There are people out there that try to secure SB100, but they don't really have a car - they are part of some sort of dealer network that needs SB100 certificates as cars are completed. That action can result in a court appearance, possibly jail time.

Bottomline - attempt to get the DMV to inform you as to whether or not you've taken all the steps to secure a SB100 on Jan 2nd. Keep in mind that someone at the DMV may say YES, but it may end up NO on Jan 2nd - perhaps double check at another DMV office. In my case, practically the entire local DMV office is ready to man the phones for us - they know my wife by name - another long story. But, in the end - there is no guarantee of a SB100 as only 500 are available each year and they are gone by 9 A.M. if not before.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427sc
Not Ranked     

Jdog,
maybe you can advise me too... I am in a similar situation as Rod.
I own a Kirkham but I bought it as an unassembled car...And I don't have a block or trans yet... should I wait until I have it running and driving or can I get the DMV and CHP stuff done prior to that.

I know I need block #'s but what about heads/trans and all the other engine componants.

And do all replicas need a CHP VIN assignment? doens't the Kirkham VIN apply?

I was going to wait until Jan 09 since it was going to take me that long to gather all my motor parts.

any help would be great.

chuck
Old 11-01-2007, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Chuck if it's going to take that long you might as well wait.

My car went through the process the CHP kept the Kirkham supplied VIN.

Rodney,
The DMV gave all that paperwork back because they have it in the system now and you will need it after you get the SB100 cert to take to CHP for VIN verification.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott, it's wonderful that everything is OK down your way in the San Diego area.

Question(s): When I show up on January 2nd, does the DMV take my paperwork at that point to obtain the SB100 #? Do they give it back to me again, since I haven't completed the registration process at that point? Just to confirm, but I believe you said before that a complete car and VIN assignment by the CHP are NOT necessary to obtain the SB100 # in 2007. Is that correct?

My car is complete except for engine and tranny. I would hope that I can get/build/buy those two items and install them into the car within the next 3-4 months, so I just want to have my "ducks in line" in order to be on the road in 2008. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobra, please bring coffee. Peets isn't open that early. I plan to meet with the supervisor of the DMV office in December just to make sure that I'm ready. The DMV office that I'll be standing in line at has had prior experience with SB100 lottery. I hope!

KM480, the CHP will need to issue a VIN assignment and they may or may not use the chassis number given by Kirkham. By the way, I'm KMP539. I just bought one of their complete rollers.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Arrow Be reasonable with DMV

Just be reasonable with DMV and be as accurate as you can. Be willing to pay your taxes on the generous estimate you used for those yet to be purchased parts. Don't give the appearance of trying to evade paying tax on the 'whole car'. I have heard that DMV required someone who painted their own car to estimate the amount of labor and charge themselves appropriate wages for tax purposes!

You are supposed to have your car ready when you get an sb100 # in Jan. However I know of several who got a number long before there cars were running. They did have reciepts for engine & trans.

DMV will make copies of everything in Jan when you get your sb100 number. Actually they don't give you anything but a reciept, the official sb100 number certificate is mailed to you in a week or two.

jdog
Old 11-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Oh......

Also,
I have no PVC, never did!
No brake & light inspection, none required!

You can't get past CHP or BAR without an engine!

Remember DMV is looking for fee$!

CHP is looking for stolen parts!

They both want to see RECIEPTS!

jdog
Old 11-01-2007, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 351W to 393 Twisted Wedge Heads, Holley double pumper
Not Ranked     

TOP = ?
Could someone explain TOP? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Temporary Operating Permit.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bx1 TOP= Temporary Operating Permit. It's that red sticker you see on some car windows with a number on it that represents the month it expires.

Rodney,
I got my SB100 number without a complete car. You can do the same. If you already started the registration process for SPCNS then the easiest thing to do is to get a written quote for engine and trans. Use that number on the Statement of Construction or whatever the form is called. Getting the SB100 number is just a formality at the DMV and you get a receipt. The cert will show up in the mail as Jdog said. Once you have that you schedule your appointment with CHP and then BAR. Then return to DMV with all the paperwork and get your plates.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: