Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion, 429 SCJ,
Not Ranked     
Default Connecticut registration - older replica

I have read in a number of forums that Connecticut requires sales receipts for the engine, tranny, rear end, etc. when registering a new replica. Does this apply to an older replica that was built 30 years ago (registered as a 1966) and is currently registered in another state?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

There may or may not be a consistent application of the CT DMV regulations for pre-owned kit cars/replicas. My pre-owned Cobra was legally registered and titled ( not a title company ) in another state as a 1966 model. When the DMV recognized the Cobra as a kit car/replica, I had to follow the Composite ( CT designation for kit cars/replicas ) regulations which required Bills of Sale for the major components.

Inspections for pre-owned out of state purchases are performed at the local DMV offices as compared to kit cars/replicas which are only inspected at the main facility in Wethersfield. Temporary plates cannot be used on a kit car/replica.

The model then became a Composite with the year first registered in CT as the model year. Do not know what would have happened if I had not been able to obtain the component Bills of Sale from the original builder.

Could not tell from the posting if your considering a move to CT. On the plus side, as of July 1 2007, Composites are exempt from emission testing.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Info on CT Composite Inspection & Registration, the documents may not have been updated for the emissions exemption.

*** DMV Publication R-157 Composites

http://ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/R-157.pdf

*** DMV Web Site: Composites

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a...8&dsftns=30236
Old 10-02-2007, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Euro 427, Ford 302
Not Ranked     

Excellent stuff from Don. I am in the process of relocating to CT from NY. My "composite" is registered as a 2006 ccustom convertible. Although I have all of my receipts (I needed them for the NY registration), I am hoping that the NY title will be sufficient proof
Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

UKJC:

The law for the DMV regulation exempting emissions testing specifically refers to " Composites " In CT, the DMV issues the VIN for Composites after the safety inspection, format is CT XXXXX

Since your make in NY is not a Composite and a 2006, the question may arise which is the best approach, register as a Composite with the inspection process etc or attempt to pass the emissions test.

The DMV transfer:

Requirements to Transfer Your Out of State Registered Vehicle. Go to the following link and click on Registration Services to the left, Transfer:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/site/default.asp

Last edited by Don; 10-02-2007 at 08:23 PM..
Old 10-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Anyone who has not been through the Connecticut process cannot imagine what's in store for them. Sometimes it's no big deal, other times it's a nightmare. Be on time, be polite, have all your paperwork and hope the guy you pull is in a good mood. If you're registering as a composite you will have to flatbed to Weathersfield. Stallion, if my paperwork said 1966 Ford, I would go with that and treat it as a 40 year old used car. UK, the New York paperwork will not be enough!

Good luck,

Bob
Old 10-04-2007, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Euro 427, Ford 302
Not Ranked     

Don, I don't think my car would pass emissions. I have no emission control on the engine at all. So I will have to either register as a composite (if thats even possible) or do some major surgery on the engine. IN NY they give you a specific NY VIN for "home made vehicles" so I assume it will not be valid in CT and I will have to reregister. I have all my receipts and stuff, but in NY although I could prove that I owned the major components, they made it difficult for me as I needed to prove that the guy I bought them from was also the legal owner. The "safety inspectors" in NY are cops, and all they are looking for is stolen parts. Do you know if CT do the same thing? I checked the CT web site and I can drive my car to the testing station as it is fully registered out of state. You said " Inspections for pre-owned out of state purchases are performed at the local DMV offices as compared to kit cars/replicas which are only inspected at the main facility in Wethersfield." I can't fiind any reference to this.......how did you find this out?

Bob thanks for the comments. I see more trouble ahead......

John
Old 10-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

UK:
Under new Connecticut regs "composite" cars do not have to go through emissions. They do have to go through a tough inspection however.

bob
Old 10-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

UK

Refer back to the Reply, # 3 10-02, on this Thread which has the pdf link for the Composite R-157 document " Requirements ", mentions inspecting kit cars/replicas in Wethersfield only

From the 2nd DMV site, same Reply above, regarding Composites
Vehicle must pass a composite vehicle inspection. All composite inspections are done at the Wethersfield inspection lane by appointment only. Please call (860) 263-5491 to schedule an appointment.

Note: Composite motor vehicles must be transported on a flat bed trailer or car carrier to the inspection site (not to be driven or towed; no wheel of the vehicle may touch the ground) except if validly registered in another state or if the owner is a licensed dealer or repairer.

Effective July 1, 2007, all composite vehicles are exempt from an emissions test.

The CT DMV site map will have the references regarding information on out of state registrations & inspection;

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/site/default.asp

The following CC Thread also contains information on the CT process:

Connecticut: Registration, Inspection & Emissions

If you elect the Composite approach, while the inspection process can be challenging, advance preparation will definitely ease the experience. Approach the requirements as having to meet them 100%, otherwise there is a probability of failing the inspection. The two web sites mentioned above as well as the above CC Thread will hopefully provide the information needed. After the Inspection, the Anti-Theft Unit will also inspect the paperwork and verify the existing VIN as not stolen etc., etc.

If you want, send me a PM with your phone number and I will call to discuss

Don

Last edited by Don; 10-04-2007 at 08:52 PM..