LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
No temporary permit yet, and no B&L form.

I'm with RodKnock, I want my paperwork perfect on Jan. 04 so that I can sail through the DMV, get my number, and finish it all off. That is why I'm starting this so early.

Finding that SB100-knowledgeable DMV around here has been difficult. I've been to three and am now trying to set an appointment at a fourth. (So. LA/Orange County area). Very frustrating!

Thx
Go to the San Clemente DMV office and ask for Marie Garcia, the Registration Manager. She has taught just about everyone around about SB 100 and gets it done. Follow what she says and you will get through.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone. Yes I've talked to other owners, that's the first two DMV's I went to. Thank you for the tip on the San Clemente person--I'll try her next.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR,Blue and White
Not Ranked     

I know its really late, but for a Cobra that was registered as a 65 exactly what paper work has to be filled out to stand in line on Jan 4th to get a SB100 number?

Steve
Old 12-23-2009, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AddVintage, 351C
Not Ranked     

I too am now confused. Mine is titled as a 65 Cobra and built in 94. The car has always been registered in Kalifornia. I took title last year and there was no problem with DMV. ( No Smog Required, of course. )

Am I in for some trouble too?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, you are, short and to the point answer.

A car registered as a 1965 is not really a 1965 (unless it really is, which we know it really isn't).

OK, so you got lucky re-registering or with the original registration. But "they" are coming for ya, "they" will find you eventually. It's gonna get ugly...
Old 12-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Here's a good link with all of steps and forms needed for the SB100 process. It's not going to be a "one size fits all" deal, so you'll have to puzzle through through the process with the DMV.

SB100 newbie question

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AddVintage, 351C
Not Ranked     

So what to do, what to do? Do I just do nothing and take my chances or go to the DMV next January, try to make application for amnesty with a new SB100 (not even sure what that is), and perhaps step into a real bucket of (you know)?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Application for amnesty is certainly something to look at, one option. Doing nothing and hopeing for the best is a virtual garuentee of "fail" at some point. Could be a spectacular failure at that!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR,Blue and White
Not Ranked     

That's still no help. All the info posted is on how to register a new car or an out of state car as SB100. I can't find any info on how to correct the registration of a '65 to SB100
Old 12-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It seems to me SB100 IS the answer! Essentially start over, tell 'em up front what you got, what'd you like to do. I'd be studying the whole "amnesty" rules and regulations first though. Is it still active? If not, THEN what?

Other options include simply register the car as the year it was really built, be able to prove that year I would think. Then meet smog for the year of the build, piece of cake. A smog pump here, some cat's there, a new cam, smaller carb, you know, like that.

See the very FIRST post on this thread for more info about the amnesty program.

Last edited by Excaliber; 12-23-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Old 12-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
It seems to me SB100 IS the answer! Essentially start over, tell 'em up front what you got, what'd you like to do. I'd be studying the whole "amnesty" rules and regulations first though. Is it still active? If not, THEN what?

Other options include simply register the car as the year it was really built, be able to prove that year I would think. Then meet smog for the year of the build, piece of cake. A smog pump here, some cat's there, a new cam, smaller carb, you know, like that.

See the very FIRST post on this thread for more info about the amnesty program.
Agree with Excaliber. Tell them that the registration is incorrect and you want to start the entire process to legally the register the car as a SPCN/SB100.

Probably would have been better to have all of the paperwork prepped and in the DMV's system prior to the end of the year, since the DMV will have to sort everything out before they issue you a sequence number.

Here's a link to the amnesty bill:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/...chaptered.html

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 12-23-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Old 12-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
+1

There isn't a blueprint for the amnesty process, but you definitely have to locate the best most experienced DMV in your area or travel as far as you need to go to find one. Talk to your local club members.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You basically need to do what the folks above have suggested--download the forms from the DMV website and fill them in, then go to the DMV, tell them that you need to re-register your car correctly as an spcn/sb100, ask them if they know about the amnesty program, etc. I went to 5 different DMVs to finally find some that were helpful. The one in Costa Mesa reviewed all my paperwork, took my registration money for the upcoming year (registered the incorrect way), gave me a temp operating permit thru 12/31/09, and sent all my paperwork to Sacramento. This was after spinning my wheels at Glendale, Long Beach, and before that, a DMV in San Diego. Sacramento DMV sent back a bunch of paperwork for me to fill out, along with the request to obtain a VIN verification from the CHP (a piece of cake, really nice folks at the CHP) and a lights and brakes check by a DMV-approved shop (the hard part is finding a local shop that does DMV-approved inspections, check the BAR website for help). The paperwork also had me go to a BAR referee. Since the Sacramento DMV had not designated the year of my build or directed the BAR to call it a 2009 SPCN, they gave me a piece of paper proving my visit and explaining what was missing. The BAR ref then told me that the best thing I could do was to take all the paperwork to the Torrance DMV for them to submit to Sacramento (he says they really know what they are doing, and this way I would get on record with them in case the Sacramento DMV does not get back to me with an under-500 number as promised in their letter), pay the fees owed for the past few years--several $K in my case--and be prepared to go to the Torrance DMV on January 4 to get my SB100 number. So, I did as suggested, paid all the fees owed, and am awaiting a letter from Sacramento. If it does not arrive by Jan. 2 I will be in line at the Torrance DMV the morning of the 4th.

To get this far I had to enlist the help and advice of the Morgster and a DMV-enforcement person that Morgster suggested. With their help and the DMV at Costa Mesa, the ball finally got rolling. Prior to that I was clearly dealing with people that did not know what to do (and did not want to help or learn).

So, my fingers are crossed for the new year

Hope this helps others....

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 12-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,

It sounds like you're well on your way! My guess is that the DMV is still going through a big learning curve regarding the amnesty program. I was under the impression that those who wanted to go through the amnesty process would still need to secure an SB100 cert number (when available) through the standard process on Jan 4.

Your strategy of going down to the DMV on Jan 4 sounds like a good plan.

BTW - The BAR thing is confusing and seems to hang people up. Just to clarify, you can't go to the BAR until you have an SB100 sequence number in your hand. The BAR will enter the SB100 number in their system and then assign you your SB100 sticker.

Last edited by Got the Bug; 12-23-2009 at 07:18 PM..
Old 12-23-2009, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Gahd, the amnesty program is going to create a huge rush on SB100's... *sigh*

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 12-23-2009, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug:

DMV Sacramento headquarters told me to go to the BAR in a letter sent to me along with some other forms I had to fill out. Typically you are correct I think, but this isn't typical (yet). I agree that the DMV is trying to figure out how to best handle the applicants.

I did get four productive things out of the BAR visit: a piece of paper verifying that I had gone to the BAR as directed by DMV SAC; the advice about the Torrance DMV; I was told that I needed to run a pipe from the left valve cover breather to the air cleaner housing to complete a "closed circuit" crankcase ventilation system for when I came back next time (number in hand); and names and the help of a couple of BAR guys who have been through the spcn/sb100 mill.

Based on the reactions I've had from the various DMV's, I don't get the feeling that there are a lot of us going the amnesty route, at least not yet.

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 12-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hmmm, Amnesty is over on Dec 31, 2010, get repealed on Jan 1, 2011.

Does that mean THIS JANUARY, right now, is the LAST shot at avoiding prosecution while still getting a SB100?

OR, does it mean you have all next year to apply and THEN the your last shot is Jan 2011?

Seems pretty much for sure after Jan 1, 2011 if they find you with a 1965 registration you could be facing criminal charges for that? I wouldn't walk into a DMV after Jan 2011 and try to do the right thing, confess, apologize, etc., you can tell all that to the Judge!

Last edited by Excaliber; 12-23-2009 at 08:36 PM..
Old 12-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hmmm, Amnesty is over on Dec 31, 2010, get repealed on Jan 1, 2011.

Does that mean THIS JANUARY, right now, is the LAST shot at avoiding prosecution while still getting a SB100?

OR, does it mean you have all next year to apply and THEN the your last shot is Jan 2011?
I read it to mean that you have all of 2010 to come clean. If you're "in the system" you can go for an SB100 in January 2011.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Jan 2011 might get a bit crowded down at the DMV, ya think?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

January 2011 can be ten-deep at every window, for all of me. Everyone with a bogus registration, stay home and warm and comfy on this January 4th...

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =