Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 482 ci alum block
Not Ranked     
Default One more CA registration question

I know this subject has been talked about time and time again. I have just 1 question regarding CA Reg. I am thinking about jumping back into the Cobra market and I have my eye on a Cobra registered in Texas. If I buy the car and bring in back to CA am I forced to sit on the car until next Jan. and register it under SB100? It is registered as a 1965 replica car.

David
Old 01-13-2009, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Your best bet is to register here as a SPNCS. They will require the CHP inspection etc so you should be able to get the Temporary permit to drive it. Then keep pushing it out a ways and get in line next January for SB100.

Or find a CA car for sale.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII with a Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8or View Post

Or find a CA car for sale.
Lots of those up this way for sure.. Specialty Sales down the street from me always seems to have cobras on the lot.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Biele View Post
I know this subject has been talked about time and time again. I have just 1 question regarding CA Reg. I am thinking about jumping back into the Cobra market and I have my eye on a Cobra registered in Texas. If I buy the car and bring in back to CA am I forced to sit on the car until next Jan. and register it under SB100? It is registered as a 1965 replica car.

David
Your only choice is to register the car as an SPCNS under SB100.

Have you scoured Cobra Country? There are a number of SB100 cars for sale there.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 01-13-2009 at 07:46 PM..
Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Currently, if the Cobra is legally registered as an 1965 XXX in a state outside of California, then California is obligated to accept to accept the title as is.

Please keep in mind, however, that our friends in Sacramento are trying to change this, so you can bring the Cobra in as a 1965 XXX, but be prepared to change it to an SPCNS sometime later.

Search for posted by Morgester to verify my statements.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

I also bought a previously titled car from Texas, and the simple answer to your question that will leave you able to sleep peacefully at night and not be looking over your shoulder is "yes". Just get the paperwork started now and keep going back for temp op permits so you can drive the car full time until you get the SB 100. I drove mine for over 6 mos and it was no problem. Just gets a little nervous around Christmas time.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:34 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys,

Wealth of information.

David
Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

You are fine to bring the car to Ca. and the 1965 registration will be allowed AS LONG AS the 1965 Texas registration was completely legal and no fraudulant info was used to obtain the Texas registration.

Your Texas vehicle reg. (1965) will be honored in Ca., but will be closely scrutinized to insure it was obtained legitimately in Texas. If so, your car will be treated as a 1965 model and will have to meet any 1965 smog requirements.

Investigate the Texas Registration thoroughly and if satisfied it is legit, bring in and reg as a 1965 cobra. If any doubts as to the reg legitimacy, register as an SPCN and get an SB100 exemption.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

While there shouldn't be any problem getting TOP's throughout the entire year and into 2010, so that you can complete the registration process, there is always the small probability that the DMV will not issue you a TOP, at some point during the year. Highly unlikely, but possible. If that would ever happen, then go try another DMV. The DMV could always issue a 1-day operating permit instead of a TOP, just so that you have the ability to move the car from here to there and make things difficult for you. Again, an extremely unlikely situation, but within the realm of possibilities. To the best of my recollection, no one here at CC has been denied a TOP.

There was a post, some time ago, that someone was ticketed for driving around with a TOP. The peace officer said that the TOP was not for driving around for pleasure, or something to that effect.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
You are fine to bring the car to Ca. and the 1965 registration will be allowed AS LONG AS the 1965 Texas registration was completely legal and no fraudulant info was used to obtain the Texas registration.

Your Texas vehicle reg. (1965) will be honored in Ca., but will be closely scrutinized to insure it was obtained legitimately in Texas. If so, your car will be treated as a 1965 model and will have to meet any 1965 smog requirements.

Investigate the Texas Registration thoroughly and if satisfied it is legit, bring in and reg as a 1965 cobra. If any doubts as to the reg legitimacy, register as an SPCN and get an SB100 exemption.

Good luck!
I purchased my Cobra from Ca when I was in AZ - registered as a 65 Cobra in CA - readily accepted by AZ. Moved back to CA and all hell broke loose. CA registration was considered fraudulant although it had been previously registered in TX as a 65 Cobra. Therefore, any kit Cobra that is registered in any state as a 65 Cobra is suspect in CA. Just don't go there - you will be in a world of mental pain - perhaps for years. It all ended up well - SB100 secured after a lot of grief.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been trying to find out if there were any SB100 numbers available.
I read somewhere that there were still a few available at the end of Jan.
I have tried calling the DMV and have waited and been tranfered to different people and I still could not find out. I know the last few years that they all go first day or so but for some reason this year they did not go as quickly..

Has anybody here have any information regarding this?

David
Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have been trying to find out if there were any SB100 numbers available.
I read somewhere that there were still a few available at the end of Jan.
I have tried calling the DMV and have waited and been tranfered to different people and I still could not find out. I know the last few years that they all go first day or so but for some reason this year they did not go as quickly..

Has anybody here have any information regarding this?

David
David,

You might want to try and make an appt at your local DMV office and ask for a supervisor to check to see if any numbers are still available. Also, check with some Club Cobra folks in the SoCal area to see if they can point you to an office that has expertise with SB100. In some cases, people will have a name of a DMV rep or supervisor who understand the process and can contact Sacramento.

The DMV website hasn't been updated yet to indicate that all 500 certs have been issued.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 02-10-2009 at 08:08 PM..
Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug,

I actually got the number that the local DMV's call for SB100 information and no one answers or is there a recording as to the status of the 500 #'s

David
Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Doug,

I actually got the number that the local DMV's call for SB100 information and no one answers or is there a recording as to the status of the 500 #'s

David
Interesting. You'd think that someone would have to be available to answer questions if someone has an issue once they receive their SB100 cert. Maybe RodKnock will weigh in here, since he had to contact Sac and might have a specific contact name/phone.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The telephone number that you get is like a circular reference. You go round and round. Doug is right. You will need to seek out a supervisor at an experienced DMV and have them call around in Sacramento. I may have notes at my office with names, but the number you're calling is only good for that one day on January 2nd. The DMV puts together a unit of people for that one day and then they disband them after the job is done that day. You will need to find the person who's in charge of the paperwork, once the unit is disbanded.

The supervisor at the Santa Clara DMV somehow found the right person in Sacramento and then it was all good after that. I'll check my notes for the name in Sacramento, but you will still need that experienced local DMV supervisor to do the calling.