Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default Phase II: CT Registration, Inspection, Emissions

To consolidate the recent Threads on CT Registration, Inspection & Emissions along with the Thread dating back to 4-15-06 . Hopefully, with new info and updates all on a single Thread, Phase II, might make the inquires, research etc. easier. If I missed a CT Thread, please add the link.

Connecticut registration experience with an out of state (NY) Cobra

Connecticut registration experience with an out of state (NY) Cobra

Ct Composite Exemption 4 emissions

Ct Composite Exemption 4 emissions

CT Council of Car Clubs: 4C's

CT Council of Car Clubs: 4C's

Connecticut: Registration, Inspection & Emissions ( 4-15-06 )

Connecticut: Registration, Inspection & Emissions
Old 05-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

fyi

Senate Bill 1073: AN ACT MAKING REVISIONS TO STATUTES CONCERNING THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES,

Sec. 30. Section 14-20

Sec. 31. Subsection (b) of section 12-71

Sec. 33. Subsection (b) of section 14-16a

Sec. 34. Section 14-103a

Reference the above Sections:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/TOB/S/200...073-R05-SB.htm

Progress to date, key in 1073

http://www.cga.ct.gov/
Old 06-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Senate Bill 1073 was replaced with Senate Bill 1081.

SB 1081 (File 356, as amended by Senate “A,” “B,” “C” and “D”)*

AN ACT CONCERNING THE FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES.

Summary: 30 & 31 — COMPOSITE MOTOR VEHICLES

The bill requires, for purposes of registration and mandatory mechanical inspections required by law, that the model year of a composite motor vehicle be determined as the model year that the body of the vehicle most closely resembles. The law defines a “composite motor vehicle” as one composed or assembled from several parts of other motor vehicles, or the identification and body contours of which are so altered that the vehicle no longer bears the characteristics of any specific make of motor vehicle. Any vehicle not assembled by a DMV-licensed manufacturer is considered a composite motor vehicle.

The bill authorizes the commissioner to require inspection of any other motor vehicle than has not been made by a DMV-licensed motor vehicle manufacturer.

EFFECTIVE DATE: October 1, 2009

Passed on 6-2-09 by Senate and House, forwarded to Governor for approval

Unknown until DMV issues regulations:

* Specific model year assigned to the Cobra ?
* If, and then how, currently registered Composites will have the Model Year changed from year first registered in CT to the " model year that the body of the vehicle most closely resembles "

Progress to date, key in 1081

http://www.cga.ct.gov/
Old 06-06-2009, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2189
Not Ranked     

Don,
Thanks for staying on top of this. Will hope currently registered Composites will not be unduly required to be reinspected........
Old 06-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve, I interpreted the wording including inspections to apply to the Composites which were never registered in CT. Hopefully, if the DMV decides to change Model year for currently registered Composites, it will be a paperwork transfer.....
Old 06-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good discussion on sides pipe noise, registration, etc., etc.,

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...787#post957787
Old 12-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excerpt from SB 1073, note the wording of the Bill applies to the model year, not the make which remains as " Composite " . The emissions exemption passed prior to 2009 specifically mentions Composite as the qualifier.

RE: Senate Bill 1073: AN ACT MAKING REVISIONS TO STATUTES CONCERNING THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES,

Sec. 33. Subsection (b) of section 14-16a of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective October 1, 2009):

Includes: " The model year designation for the purpose of registration of a modified antique motor vehicle or a composite motor vehicle shall be the model year that the body of such vehicle most closely resembles "

From a discussion earlier this week with a DMV official, the sole purpose was to seek clarification of the above changes.

* Changes to the DMV web site are still in process, no specific date as to when the changes will be completed
* Web site not being updated does not impact the effective date of 10-1-09 for SB 1073 Sec 33 as mentioned above
* Inspection Lane & Administrative personnel are aware of the changes
* Make remains as a Composite, which still allows for the emission exemption
* Model, for Cobra kit cars/replicas, will be Cobra
* Year can be either 1965 or 1966. Owner needs to include as documentation a picture of an original, i.e., " Model year that the body of such vehicle most closely resembles." While the Cobra body is obvious to most people, some might not recognize other makes/year built as a kit/replica
* Change in model year designation is not retroactive, applies only if registered 10-1-09 or later.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Don,
Here's the one piece of info that we have not been able to ascertain ... will you be able to get Early American tags?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Cashburn, to your point...

Per these points below..

* Year can be either 1965 or 1966. Owner needs to include as documentation a picture of an original, i.e., " Model year that the body of such vehicle most closely resembles." While the Cobra body is obvious to most people, some might not recognize other makes/year built as a kit/replica

----------> This should be easy.

* Change in model year designation is not retroactive, applies only if registered 10-1-09 or later.

--------------> So we would have to unregister the car, then reregister to enable us to get EA white plates?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

I am asking this question from the angle of a new registration and not a car that has been previously registered/inspected.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

*** Current CT DMV definition of Early American Plates,from the DMV web site:

" Early American Plates (also know as antique plates) - Refers to a license plate which is given only to a motor vehicle 20 years old or older, is being preserved because of the historic interest and is not altered or modified from the original manufacturer’s specification "

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/M-22.pdf

Might be the only way to determine if EA plates can be obtained when the Make is a Composite , submit an application, if registered after 10-01-09 and has the 1965/66 model year on the registration. However, note the last phrase above " is not altered or modified from the original manufacturer’s specification ", form your own opinion as to the interpretation by the DMV. Note on the form, pdf above, the current registration has to be entered,. My last experience with a vanity/special interest plate was in 2002 , had to have a regular plate first,( Section 2 PRESENT PLATE NUMBER ) then apply for the special plate, a 2 step process. The 20 year old or older portion of the definition could also be subject to interpretation, Cobra kit was built this year but there is a provision for using 1965/66 as the model year. Is it 20 years or older or not yet 1 year old ?

*** Question was answered very specifically:

" Change in model year designation is not retroactive, applies only if registered 10-1-09 or later "

However, on the positive side, just think of all the challenges if the emission exemption did not exist.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If there is a new registration after 10-1-09 using the Model Year method, might help others to post the actual experience. Also, applying and obtaining, or not, the Early American plates using a registration having the Model Year of 1965/66, with the Make of Composite
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

With the understanding that everyone has their own agenda here, I'd love to find out if you have a registered car with the year it was built (non 65/66), can you cancel the reg, get the year changed and get EA plates.

From this thread it seems that if you have a composite car and register(ed) it after 10/1/09 you definitely get the year designation (if it looks like a Cobra and you can document it) but the AE plates are still in question correct?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428street View Post
From this thread it seems that if you have a composite car and register(ed) it after 10/1/09 you definitely get the year designation (if it looks like a Cobra and you can document it) but the AE plates are still in question correct?
Yes. We will be handling the process in a couple weeks for a customer and will see.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

So let me get this straight...

My FIA Cobra was registered as a 2006 Composite, does this mean that I cannot get the date of the car changed to 1965?

Stu
Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stush View Post
So let me get this straight...

My FIA Cobra was registered as a 2006 Composite, does this mean that I cannot get the date of the car changed to 1965?

Stu
Not unless you turn in your tags and re-enter the process again (with a new inspection).
Old 12-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Can't change old registration

We went down in Oct. after the law went into effect. We were told we could not change the registration that we currently have. Car remains registered as a 2009 composite.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Recent DMV continued..forgot

I asked about turning in the tags and was told that once the car was registered, it would keep that status even if I turned the registration in.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Looks like the DMV is trying to reneg on the allowance for vintage plates. Originally it seemed that an easy conversion was possible. Now everyone involved with DMV says it's a no-go. Maybe new registrations will have better luck.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

But that really stinks if that is true and makes little to no sense unless I am missing something. Personally, if I had to turn my reg in and do the whole dog and pony show again it might be worth it to me to get the year designation and AE plates. It's basically a day out of my life...by the sounds of the last couple of posts sounds like that can not be done though. I'm sure this will unfold given time...