17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-09-2009, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     
Default run n gun dnf'd club

we need a place for the valiant that went down battle, so here it is.

i had a cam or crank seal go south and throw oil all over the engine bay, thought it was the oil pan gasket at first.

then discovered an outer u joint on the half shaft had thrown all its grease all over the inside of the wheel tub, so that was probably the next thing to go, prob would have been more disasterous.

there were lots of offers for assistance and chip calling from dean and clois and others whom i didn't know, but i couldn't bring myself to tear it down in the wild.

one fella driving a brand new backdraft for the first day got into the banked turn wall and did a little glass damage to the right rear but i think he was pushing on.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default All Participants

Mot of the warriors were treated to a bath for their car as they attempted to compete in AutoCross in the Rain.

Ever seen what 2.01 inches of rain does to a race course? I could have competed with my 12 meter sailboat

Paul
Old 10-09-2009, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

What about a DNS club ?
Old 10-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Mark,

Ouch...sorry to hear about your mechanical failures....looks like you got some more homework. Good luck....hope the damage is not too severe.

John
Old 10-09-2009, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

One more casualty today, however, he soldiered on and ran a really good time. I will let Randy L. cover what happened in turn 1.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb When you have some time

vector1 Mark sorry you didn't get more track time in. That is a nasty fast looking cobra. I am gald you found the other problem in the car. When you have a little time, you need to goggle vacuum pumps and read the articles by CZ about max pressure and having pressure pin oiling to the pistons. For your motor a 8-12 Hg is max and min, P.s with all the rain we could have fixed it there. Gald you came, looking for a better R&G next year. You did miss the fun in the barrel race.
First place was Dean L. with the most donuts on the track in Clois car
Second place was Sam W for how many 360's around the first barrel.
Third place using the unknown driver rule was, Jay and Dean looking to run from the box and someone sliding through the box.
Fourth Place was the Bill B. with the too much power just off idle
Last and craziest was Dave from Fasttimes for the 4 coughing burnouts to remove the water and heat the tires. Also thank him for the great lunch at his wonderful shop. Hope you have the problems fixed for next year. Rick L. Ps we had a walmark and could have pulled the drive train there.
New rule, no more going home unless the motor is BLOWN. Oil leaks will be fixed and racing will continue
Old 10-10-2009, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

lol, sounds like i missed all the fun. getting ready to pull the engine, think it is coming off the cam seal or crank seal, jesel belt drive setup. i do have pin oiling via the rods btw. 40+ hrs. on the setup and something decided to go south. will find out soon for sure. i think i had some crankcase pressure build for some reason, oil puddled inside the blowoff valve. i'll leak down the cylinders and see if something looks bad. i had planned on doing some r & r but on my own terms, after rng. must find more coffee!!!!

nice to meet you rick, and everyone else also.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

got the engine out and almost tore down. had 5 cylinders low on the leakdown, previously only one. believe the cylinders glazed when i had the efi on, air leak in the exhaust causing it to run rich and never had a proper breakin, at that time i knew i had one cylinder low, looks like a few others have followed. runs fine, it just can't cope with the 7000rpm runs building up too much crankcase pressure, blowing oil out the the front seals. am hoping to be able to hone the cylinders and rering. haven't touched the irs yet.

anybody seen the forecast for next year?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Vector,

How is your project coming? I have wondered how things worked out for you?

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-12-2010, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clois Harlan View Post
Vector,

How is your project coming? I have wondered how things worked out for you?

Clois

pretty slow but starting up now that weather is getting better. so many options on the engine front and have been entertaining a few without making any commitment.

crank and pistons have been cleaned up and need to bush the lifter bores if i use the aluminum block. for some reason one of the machine shops honed the lifter bores and they are at +.003 clearance with the lifters i'm using, something i mistakingly never checked and one of the causes of my woes.

seems it's a very steep learning curve.

looks like your run n gun track will be entertaining. will there be drag and autox events?

mark
Old 02-13-2010, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

on the other hand, i've found a 97 351 out of a truck with low miles for about $500. thinking of using the shortblock, putting my stuff like the solid roller, heads, lt. wt. clutch, jesel cam belt setup, and powerjection III on top and running it dry sumped. short stroke should run quite a while and make about 450 hp or 400 tq. pretty easy and not tear things up or overheat. seems these engines are plentiful and cheap, plus the production block doesn't weigh as much as the aftermarket stuff. been trying to stick a fat hog in the ass for quite a while now. pretty hard to do.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I think the 351 truck engine is a great idea that would probably save you money and time. IMO anything over 450 hp is a waste because it is hard to use all the horses we have anyway. I think that a good driver can over come a shortage of HP.

Good luck with your decision.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"