28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 03:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

ooops, sorry guys, went back and read it, was thinking 1-5 in morning and afternoon, see it is does twice in morning an twice in afternoon. 2x the fun.

my apologies.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

The itinerary for Run N Gun that has been posted is based on an attendance of 60-80 participants. Clearly that is a very optimistic goal at this time. Realistically, we will break everyone up into 3 or 4 groups of 15 cars in each group and our track time should be extended to no less than 6 runs each with 7 or 8 runs daily more likely.

We know that Run N Gun is not everything for everyone but we try and offer an event that allows each participant to experience the real purpose many of these kit cars (Replica's if you will) were intended. We cater to all levels of experience from no track experience to those that have competed at a much higher level. We do our very best to ensure this event is safe for all participants. It is for that reason we divide our groups up by lap times so those just learning how to handle these short wheel base cars with a gazillion horse power can feel comfortable on the track with others running like times. We also offer driving lessons at no cost to the participants from qualified expert drivers. We will always have a driver’s seminar that explains the uniqueness of each track and to identify the passing areas, apexes, pit entrance, etc. In the past we have had qualified teachers that explained the proper set up of a vehicle for its best balance and performance.

In short if you have never had any training on the track you owe it to yourself to learn what your car is capable of as well as yourself in an environment that offers forgiveness as well as education. Things happen fast when you are on a freeway or going through an intersection and the more you know about your vehicles performance the safer you become. All this track time transfers your experience into situations that may arise while you are in your family sedan or suv.

The Run N Gun event is not intimidating nor is the participants. Everyone has had their first day on a track and we all know how comforting it is talk to others with more experience about how they handle this corner or that corner, or to discuss braking points or turn in points. This is an environment that is intended to build your confidence and reward you with a safe but good time and most likely an award or trophy to commemorate your experience. We are not perfect but we do listen to your suggestions every morning in our drivers meetings and we try to make this your event.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 07-29-2010 at 04:42 AM..
Old 07-29-2010, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Clois- did you still want to meet up with Rusty Bob, Bob Kallio (midstates owner) and myself, so we can have a cobra caravan to George's ?

Both Bob K. and I live in Lincoln Ne.
Kevin,

I am sorry I overlooked your post and I have no excuse! I think Dean and I will be arriving on Wednesday noon. I will be coming straight up I-35 with several guys from the New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas and I believe Dean will be traveling across I-70/I-80 which might be a better scenario for your caravan. For those coming from the Southwest that would like to join us we will try and meet at the Oklahoma and Kansas border just south of Wichita about 8:00 am on Wednesday September 22, 2010. We can refine the place and time a little better in the coming weeks.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 07-29-2010, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

No problem buddy.

The caravan sounds like a lot of fun. Six other cars and myself, did this on the Hot Rod Power Tour, and was a great time !

I would appreciate a list of people that would be traveling and want to join in. We could either share a hotel room or my sister lives about a hour away, and we're welcome to stay there. I think,... I have rustybob talked into attending and I need to speak with Bob Kallio from Midstates/Shell Valley Cobra, as we both near Lincoln Ne. We all could meet for breakfast & fuel.

The photographer and possibly Jim Youngs, of Kit Car Builder Magazine will be there for the photo shoot & interview about my Cobra & the new side oiler engine build. Very exciting.

(I hope to the Cobra God is with me, to get my motor is done, in the car and tested in time)

We'll be traveling on I-80 from Lincoln Ne.
If anyone wants to meet us as we go, let me know where you can join us.

1-Kevin Gilmore
2- Rusty Bob
3-

Last edited by FUNFER2; 07-29-2010 at 05:40 AM..
Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am sure as the event gets closer you will have several join you.

I have revised the "Run N Gun Schedule" to reflect the expected turnout of 50 participants and the resulting track times:

I have the sessions broken up into three groups which will give everyone at least 7 sessions per day. If you want more sessions on Friday night because you feel like you need more track time come and talk to me and I bet we can make it happen! By the way this is not a race but we do reward those who posts the best times in their group. Timing is scored each lap via the transponders we provide at no cost to you. Of course if you register a time of 55 seconds as Dean Lampe did when he choose to cut through the infield then we will disallow that time, you really need to run the full course )

"Let's roll"

Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR DAYTONA COUPE 302 COBRA FE STOCK
Not Ranked     

Run'NGun is the VERY BEST TRACK VALUE PERIOD! I race in a couple of vintage racing groups and our track only cost is $350 for 40 minutes on Sat. and 40 minutes on Sunday which constitutes a race weekend. Friday "test and tune" another maybe four 20 minute sessions is an additional $100.

Check out the track cost for a track very similiar to Gateway here in the DFW market...

BLUE GROUP $300.00
· Mandatory Drivers Meeting
· Two 30-minute “lead-chase” driving sessions
· Two 30-minute “open” sessions!

BLUE PLUS GROUP $495.00
· All of the Above +
· Continental Breakfast
· Gourmet-to-Go Lunch
· In-Car Training/Instruction

__________________________________________________ ______________
Experienced Driver with Professional Instruction
The Red Groups are for Experienced Drivers. Take your skills to another level with on-track expert racing direction. Instruction is specific and focuses on fine tuning your skills by teaching advanced techniques. Included in your day:

RED GROUP $300.00
· Mandatory Drivers Meeting
· One 30-minute “lead-chase” driving session
· Three 30-minute “open” sessions!

RED PLUS GROUP $495.00
· All of the Above +
· Continental Breakfast
· Gourmet-to-Go Lunch
· In-Car Training/Instruction

Run'NGun is the best bang for your buck.

Unless you spend all weekend working on your car...

Larry Reyburn
Old 07-29-2010, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hey Larry, You are a 100% right on !
If you don't want to do any track time then that's OK too. Come out and watch, hang around the host hotel and do all the things you do at all the other events. We always have a good time after the day is done. Sometimes we take over a local restaurant or in mine and Larry's case the local bar.
I honestly cannot believe that there is not at least 200 kit cars at this great event. This event is not that different than any of the others. The comradery is foremost and the best. You will make friends that last for life.
Anybody looking to buy a replica would do well to attend. There are many on display and on the track so you can see how they perform.
The banquet is worth every penny if you did nothing else. You ain't seen nothin' yet until you see the big Texan (Jay Nordstrom) do his thing for the wounded warriors at operation comfort.
I have said over and over again how much I love this event. I look forward to Hastings as it looks to be a neat town. George Anderson is the track owner and host to this years Run N' Gun. He will do all that he can do to show all of us a great time.
If you are not signed up then come and watch the fun and hang with us after the day is done. I guarantee next year you will come back as a participant.

Hersh

Last edited by BT SNAKE; 07-30-2010 at 12:28 PM..
Old 07-29-2010, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have told this story before but my first Run N Gun event was in 2001 and I knew no one. I even borrowed an old worn out flat bed trailer to get my car to the track. That was the best decision I ever made.

Wife was my pit crew and motivator. To put it bluntly, I was scared $hitless. The closer it got to my time to go on the track the more coffee I drank which meant I had to make numerous bathroom trips. I am sure I was in everyones way the whole week but I learned a lot. The first thing was that my little 9" brakes were not stopping me as everyone elses were. Second thing was that I realized the corners I had cut to get my car completed were going to have to be re-done. People like Dennis Oltoff, George Anderson, Wayne Turpin, Bob Self, John Gyann, Jay Nordstrom, and of course Rick Lake gave me so much good advise to make me a better driver and have a safer car. The point is that everyone was approachable regardless of our social or economic status.

I made it through that first event and I was so at awe with some of the people and equipment there. Some guys like Doug Reed and Dennis Oltoff had top of the line SPF equipment as did many others. However, the thing that impressed me most was that everyone had time for dumb questions. I came away from my first event with many new friends and a wealth of knowledge. My wife has also made some very good friends with many of the ladies that also attend. Even Kristen Breeden became a good friend of both of ours even if she is this good looking strawberry blonde that drove a cobra.

You owe it to yourself to attend at least one Run N Gun event, afterall had it not been for Carroll Shelby's desire to kick Ferrari's butt there wouldn't have been a Cobra or a Run N Gun for that matter.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 07-29-2010, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     

Well said Clois.

Hersh