1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default Three Weeks and Counting....tick...tick...tick

That's right Run N Gun is just three weeks away and we are planning three days that you will be talking about for a long time. I know of at least four or five people that are burning the midnight oil to complete projects on their cars before Run N Gun. One engine upgrade to a stroker, two complete builds, at least one thrashing on a suspension and some one is tinkering with their webbers.....I wonder who that could be?

At any rate we are all getting ready to some degree and there will be at least one or two of US that will be bringing our cars that may not be completely ready for primetime but they will be close enough. So here is some advise to avoid any surprises at tech:

Tech you own car before you show up eg.: brake lights, ball joint play, lug nuts are tight, battery positive cable is taped at the battery, steering is firm, brakes are completely functional. Most of the tech procedure is common sense but one thing a lot of first timers forget is that motorcycle helments are not approved. If you are not wearing a race suit be sure and wear cotton pants and long sleved shirt---no polyester.

If your plans have changed and you have not registered yet and want to attend you can do so at the track. If you think you may attend send me a registration with your information on it and you can pay at the track at checkin and registration. We want everyone to enjoy their Run N Gun experience as much as possible and to tell their friends how much fun they had this year. My information can be found on our web site at www.runngun.net

I am looking forward to meeting each of you in a few weeks.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 09-02-2010, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Think about heading up to Hastings on the 20th. Will anybody be at the track Tuesday morning? See youin a few weeks. I am getting fired up. Oh yea and Football season starts today.

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Tuning webbers, oh the memories.

Dean, if you read this I would wait and put the tune on those at the track. Hasting is a 1000 Ft higher in elevation than where you live. Believe me, it makes a difference. So what ever you tune to now won't be the optimum in Hastings.
I want to see that bad boy run and I do mean run.

Hersh
Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

George will be ready for us Tuesday evening. Just pull into the track and ask for George Anderson and tell them you are with RNG. He has plans for those arriving early.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Regarding motorcycle helmets: As I understand it the difference between a motorcycle helmet and an auto helmet, when both have a current race approved rating, is the fire retardant rating of each. The auto helmet is fire rated, the motorcycle helmet is not. However, the motorcycle fire retardant rating is the same for the motorcycle IF you wear an approved head sock under the helmet!

Some clubs accept this standard and allow motorcycle helmets. I actually have both, a motorcycle helmet with head sock and approved rating and a Bell auto racing helmet. I am allowed to use either one here at my local track, the motorcycle helmet in case a passenger may need it, or just a spare.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Cloise

Does George have a time we can go to the track on Tuesday? I dont want to get in his way.

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 09-02-2010, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We don't have any track time scheduled but you may be able to twist his arm for some TEST N TUNE time maybe. George has been a huge help with this years Run N Gun and he promises to be the ultimate Owner/Host.

Send George an email at George@racemph.com

"Let's roll"

Old 09-02-2010, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Regarding the helmets, I have never been to a track event that allowed motorcyle helmets. I have seen a lot of motorcycle helmets at auto-x events but not high speed stuff. I bet some do, I just haven't seen it.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I thought it was weird, allowing MC helmets. Until I read up on it and discovered, depending on the helmet, they are identical except for the fire rating. It makes sense to allow them in that case, with a head sock. Probably just to much trouble and a hassle for the tech inspectors to go through, easy just to disallow them all together.

I was always curios about what the main difference was, because I have two MC's and ride them a lot. Now I realize, I don't need to buy an MC helmet for "better or special head protection" on a MC, I could just use my auto helmet, same same.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Two weeks and counting....

Only two more weeks until we open the gates for this years Run N Gun. I hope those of you sitting on the fence will come and join us as a spectator or participant. We want you to be there for the fun of it.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 09-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR DAYTONA COUPE 302 COBRA FE STOCK
Not Ranked     

For great steaks and prime rib after the tracking, check out "The Plainsman Restaurant" in a little town just west of Hastings, Juniata, Ne. The best! You all have a blast.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

See if you can beat a 1:18.683 on the 2.3 mile track. A guy named Petrie from Colorado did that time last weekend in a 1985 March Indy Car. Remember, late apexs...all corners.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

George was telling me about that and I am hoping for something around 1:25 or 1:30 by the third or forth session. Did you have a time in your Daytona? I believe the track is similar to Hallett and I was thinking the times should be close.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hallett is 1.8 miles vs. MPH is 2.3 miles. If you do a 1:25, you'll be flying. I imagine most of the Cobra's will be in the 1:30 to 1:45 time range...which is averaging 80 to 90+ mph. How big are your eggs? It's said that "MPH is an easy track to learn, yet a hard track to master."