14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

Clois, in 07, I ran Toyo Proxes RA1s on the front, Kumho V710s on tthe rear, last year, I ran Hoosier R6s front and back, this year, who knows, still looking to run with Mr Bill in prep though.
In 07, I had him by a couple of seconds on the road course, last year, he had me by 3/10s, this year will be good. I do have a few surprises.......
Old 07-28-2009, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
wonder since our cars are lighter if the a6 would be better then the r's, especially if running in cooler weather. need to call hoosier and see what the compound is similiar to for comparison.
The A compound was designed to run at 140 degree tire temp. When I first went to R&G we did 2 laps for time on cold tires so I ran A's. When we went to transponders I tried the R's, but since you only need 1 good lap the A's were faster. On my car I didn't have any increased wear with the A's vs. R's either. The only issue with running A's is they can get a little greasy at the end of a long run if your temps are high. But, I always had problems getting enough heat in the tires anyway. According to the Hoosier rep the A/R compounds are a minimum of 2 seconds off of a slick.

Scott
Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

If thats the case maybe I should just go on up to fullon race tires and forgo the whipping in prep let Morris and Arron show me the way around. As it is if we cant find a deal on some good track tires we will run in the street class because these old A6's wont be competitive after we ran at Hallet in the Heat they are pretty well burnt up with at least 20 heat cycles on them.I have been looking at Fossport and even emailing them without any luck so far yea..p.s. what is a may pop?? ;-P
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,

Last edited by WildBill3; 07-29-2009 at 06:08 AM..
Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

In this class, the only limit factors are tire type and weight.
On a side note, think about the advantage you have had aerodynamically, and power wise, the last few years over the guys with 500hp Roush 402s and such, running in street trim Cobras, but with DOT tires.
Just some food for thought.
As a really wise friend of mine tells me repeatedly " Don't be afraid of your competition"
Old 07-29-2009, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

with my restrictive exhaust I am not that far ahead on power after listening to James on what they found out on the dyno with our type headers and air cleaners,I see the aero as nill exept for the end front straight, I dont fear just a realist who ran an underpowerd car for years in auto racing I say "this aint my first Rodeeoo" If this were just a track day it would be different but its supposed to be a fairly even handed competition, "by the old rules" as I see it, it was. As you stated we were only .3 apart not 3.0.I wish tires, Blowers and turbos didnt come into play on a Big open track but we all know better. As I see it if I cant keep up I will just step down to were I can, why beat a dead horse this aint my first rodeo.Our Falkin radials for the street are hardly on the edge of soft, 280 treadwear I think ther are other street dot tires way closer to the 200 limit.Tire rack has the Dunlop Dirrezza sport star as ther hot new 200 treadwear tire, just checked.
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,

Last edited by WildBill3; 07-29-2009 at 02:06 PM..
Old 07-31-2009, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

so what do you guys think about a set of a6/r6/v710's for the street longevity wise. since i prob won't see 2-3k miles of street a year i was thinking of buying a set of tires and running them on the street. hate to buy a set of rims for 2k+ you know.

tirerack has some of the v710's on sale last time i looked btw.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

You know Dean Lampe bought a set of Goodyear Blue Streaks and swears they are almost as fast as the straight slicks. I think the Blue streaks may start it's life as a slick and then they cut groves in it.

Scott Johnson was lightening fast in his Cobra a couple of years ago and I would love to see him back at Run n Gun one more time. Not that I have anything for him just that I enjoy the driving demostration he puts on at the track.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-31-2009, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
so what do you guys think about a set of a6/r6/v710's for the street longevity wise. since i prob won't see 2-3k miles of street a year i was thinking of buying a set of tires and running them on the street. hate to buy a set of rims for 2k+ you know.

tirerack has some of the v710's on sale last time i looked btw.
I think for what you are doing, the 710s are the ticket. on my FFR, I had them for three and a half years before I corded them, using them for street and light road course track days. There was no noticeable drop off.
Heck for that matter, the 710s that were on the Backdraft in 07, that won the BB prep road course event at R and G, were three years old.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow no kiddin three years old ,about how low of winning time was that just curious?Thats alot of life out of a tire!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Hey guys, I think Clois has answered everything but I wanted to chime in. The Goodyear blue Streaks are "pro" tires and the Billboards and "prepared" tires even through they are not DOT. It is just on of those exceptions. The A6's seem to do very well at R&G but they won't last as long. This is the race where I buy my tires for the next year. I like to have fresh rubber for R&G. I think I will be running the R6's on an SLC from RCR.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Did anyone notice he said SLC? The GT 40 is for sale.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-02-2009, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

slc and a brand new pair of roller skates, that would be fun.

clois, think i saw your b&b in kit car mag, red w/black stripe? looked like a show car paint job not a racer paint job. this your debut run n gun ride?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That SLC would be a nice complement to the coupe I used to draw those prototype cars all the time backin the day wanted one sooo bad. Dean your gonna B fAAAAAAAst..
Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

was looking at the road course times of run n gun competitors and comparing to gt1 scca stuff. national runoff winner bill grey & co. were in the 1 minute range, while the winners of run n gun were only 2 sec. off the pace, pretty good! btw, on laptimes.com the times i was looking at were under either tom smith or shawn grey for some reason, don't know which car he was driving but appears to be an alias.

so, just a recap to see if i have this straight and maybe help somebody else,

prototype are all one class, doesn't matter what tire or wt. or sc or na

gt classes are classed < or > 2000lbs., which consists of power added or n/a for less then 2000lbs or gt1, and less then 399 or greater then 400 ci. for heaver then 2000 lbs. or gt2. gt classes are further divided into street, prepared, & pro, depending on tire.

so do the hired guns fall in with the general assembly, cause that would be good.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

The GTP classes are also grouped according to tires. The "hired" drivers run in a manufacturers class mixed in with the pro class. They will receive a separate first place trophy unless they are beat by a "shad tree" guy, then they get nothing! Clear as mud?

You are right about the times. They seem to get faster every year. I am really looking forward to driving the SLC. It is an amazing car.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlampe View Post
Hey guys, I think Clois has answered everything but I wanted to chime in. The Goodyear blue Streaks are "pro" tires and the Billboards and "prepared" tires even through they are not DOT. It is just on of those exceptions. The A6's seem to do very well at R&G but they won't last as long. This is the race where I buy my tires for the next year. I like to have fresh rubber for R&G. I think I will be running the R6's on an SLC from RCR.
so dean, you prefer the r6's, have you ran the a6's or v710's and how do they compare? is this a convenience or performance decision?
Old 08-15-2009, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I ran the A6's last year and in the spring this year. I thought they felt a little slimy late in the sessions. I'm no expert but I just like the way the R6's feel over the others. I don't have any experience with the Kumho's but I think the Hoosier seems to be the "go to" tire in road racing.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

57 deg. in kansas city on august 21, i think street tires with studs are going to be the "go to" tire this year.