Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Scratch Builders Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/)
-   -   289 progress........ (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/102466-289-progress.html)

PDUB 02-06-2022 07:01 PM

Man...

look at all the fingerprints on that rotor... dime store mechanics;)!

You are amazing, Jeff! Great work, as usual!

1985 CCX 02-07-2022 05:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
:LOL:
Will clean when I bleed the front.... :LOL:

BTW as I was getting new rod ends via Moss Motors I found that the arms on them were very similar and bent.
Not that I want to compare the Cobra to MGB however they are weirdly similar.

https://mossmotors.com/steering-lever-rh?assoc=135563

1985 CCX 02-09-2022 04:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And boom, Moss Motors to the rescue.
Fits perfect.

Also decided to look at the AC cars and determine what they did.
See picture, it’s bent.

MAStuart 02-09-2022 07:09 PM

Jeff is that rotor bolted to the back of the hub on the AC car? How thick is that vented rotor?

Harpoon PV2 02-09-2022 09:31 PM

What didn't AC use? Phil Remington said, when he was at AC during the development of the 427 chassis, he needed a part, so Dennis Hurlock, who took him out back to a large warehouse, when Dennis opened the door, Phil said there were parts from every defunct European and UK car manufacture for at least the last 50 years. Cheers, Dennis

1985 CCX 02-10-2022 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Behind like the old school stuff.

1985 CCX 02-26-2022 09:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok
Time to initiate the rears.

1985 CCX 02-27-2022 02:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So today we decided to rip everything apart so we can get the new set-up put in place.
Starting point was the right rear side.
There seems to be less fabrication on the rears versus the front but there’s many more steps in the process. We have to clean everything up; re-grease bearings to ensure that we don’t have to take this apart and fix anything in the near future.
Once we put together hub assembly it seems as though everything is in alignment.
Also tossing all nyloc fasteners and replacing with Flex-loc Fasteners.
Lastly making sure all shoulders on bolts are the right length. Important step often overlooked.

So far no clearance issues.

1795 02-27-2022 03:02 PM

Jeff,

You are doing a very nice job, and smart to re-pack the bearings and check everything while you are tearing it down. Glad to see that there are no interference issues. I had to turn a little off the diameter of the rear rotors as they were touching the lower control arm bracket on mine. Just a couple of mm's and it was fine.

Jim

1985 CCX 03-06-2022 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added a Marshal fuel pressure gauge under hood.
My old gauge seemed to be acting up.

Rear hubs are almost done.
Clearances seem good.
Pics soon

1795 03-06-2022 03:36 PM

Jeff,

Looks good. I have my pressure gauge at the end of the fuel log. What pressure are you running? I have to run 4psi on the are engine to avoid fuel starvation due to the extended times at WOT.

The weather is starting to turn, you should be out on the road again son.

Jim

1985 CCX 03-07-2022 06:27 AM

Jim

I run 3.5-4psi.
Probably say 3.75 as this gauge is probably better than my last.
I cannot use the type at the end as I feed all my Webers independently.
I suppose I could put at fuel distribution block but that's 10" farther up the line.
Spring is creeping up!

Isadore 03-08-2022 01:00 PM

I have a 289 Hi Pro that has been blue printd and balanced with a Paxton supercharger. It also has a aluminum 4 speed T-10 M-1 transmisstion. Aluminum bell housing and a cobra oil pan. It has been sitting on my garage floor for 45 years. It was built by Bill Ireland.

1985 CCX 04-03-2022 05:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It’s been awhile as parts were slow to come.
Now it’s time to install after finishing hub rebuilds.
Still minor fitment issues need to be worked out as I want a working parking brake.
P-Brake hits lower control arm, ordered thin Flexloc.
Hope it works.

1985 CCX 04-10-2022 04:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally :cool:
Bleeding and e-brake adjustment left.
Each step was a challenge as all the tolerances are so close.
Adding only flexloc hardware and cleaning as I go.
Spring here we come .....

1985 CCX 09-15-2022 12:14 PM

So far running well. Was a bit noisy at first however after some driving everything seemed to seat and now great brakes.

1985 CCX 04-11-2023 04:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well to help my brakes I added new sneakers.
Avon’s to help stopping and handling.

Mach 1 Fan 04-11-2023 07:56 PM

Old Buddy you keep going its going to look like Lynn Park's garage.

Michael

Harpoon PV2 04-11-2023 09:33 PM

Wow! I don't think the word tribute does your Cobra full justice! If you shot the photos in B&W, you would swear that it was the 1960s, or maybe fade the color photos? Cheers, Dennis

PDUB 04-11-2023 10:11 PM

Well...

what sizes did you get, Jeff?