Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Jag center sections in original 289 type frames

I wanted to start a thread that maybe others would contribute to in their experiences of installing Jag center sections in original 289 type frames. (pictures please). When I originally started building my chasis, I read lots of older posts and came to the conclusion that I could mount a Jag center section in my chasis using mounting brackets from various venders. They failed to mention that the brackets most people were talking about only fit in a 427 chasis. I found this out when I called Kirkhams to check into buying brackets for the Jag center section I bought. They said sure they have the brackets, but it wouldn't do me any good because there isn't enough room for it to fit in a 289 chasis. So I immediately went back out to the shop put the center section up in the chasis and sure enough there is no room between the top of the center section and the chasis. I kind of thought it would be a fairly easy thing to make some brackets that would fit where the output shafts bolt in.
In 1985 CCX's thread 289 progress posts no. 122 and 127 are pictures of mounting brackets that Action Customs built. I was wondering if Nick could put some input here, because when I am looking at the 2 pictures there appears to be 2 different type side mounting brackets. I take it these brackets go on 2 different types of Jag center sections. There is a pair of square plates with 4 corner holes and a large center hole, what do they go to?
Here is a link to identify 2 different type Jag center sections. a Salsibary
and a Dana: http://www.coventrywest.com/Jaguar/t...pofmonth12.htm .
I know of several other Jag center sections, but I am not sure how many of them are used in these type cars. I will try to post a picture of my Jag center section and a cobra center section I got from Kirkham. Thanks Mark
Old 01-15-2011, 04:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hi Mark, I believe there are 3 different styles of Jag diff I have made brackets for so far. I will get back to you with pictures and width measurements. The brackets have to come from the sides and not bolt to the top 4 holes so it will have the top room to fit a 289 style chassis. I believe the Jag or Salisbury has a drain plug in the bottom of the case and Dana 44 does not.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

hey mastuart if you click on the camera below my avatari have some pics of my chassic that might help ' if not pm me & i'll send some others i have
rob
Old 01-22-2011, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Mark
If you bought a center section from Kirkham, doesn't it have the four mounting holes in the nose as well as the two mounting holes on each side? Mine does.
Larry
Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra / Jag diff

Upper pic cobra diff housing with jag axle installed. Bolt holes with X are for side mounts. Lower pic Jag salisbury diff. As you can see there is no holes for side mounts. Mark

Last edited by MAStuart; 01-23-2011 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: ad text
Old 01-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Mark I have seen two types of Jag side plates. The CW link you have above shows the type that have caliper bracket bolt holes out the front of the plate(like Jeffs). The other two types I have seen use the front and top holes of the five for a caliper bracket. They have longer bolts in those 2 holes and will just accomodate a caliper bracket behind the output flange. The caliper bracket bolts are what I've been using for diff mounting brackets. My thinking is the car stops faster than it accelerates hence the strength of brake calipers being quite up to the job of mounting the diff.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Nick, Larry, Rob for your replys. Rob, I checked your photos out and they were pretty small so I couldn't see much detail. Is your center section a Salisbury or a Dana? Also we were wanting information about putting these rearends in origanal style 289 chasis. In an origianl style chasis the rearend can not be mounted like yours is. Larry, I have since posted a picture of the kirkham center section and yes it does have the side holes and the 4 mounting bosses up by the pinion. Nick, I must be a little dense or something, because I am a little confused by your last post. I am going to try and post a few more pictures and you may be able to make it a little clearer. Thanks Mark
Old 01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default salisbury rear

Above salisbury from 67 XKE (what I was told) 354 possi, 19 spline axles. It has the 5 bolt axle retainers and a caliper bracket that installs on top of the axle retainer through the front 3 bolt holes. So far I can't find any casting numbers on this, but it is pretty grubby.
Does anyone know what year they went to this type of axle? I assume older ones, the outer flange unbolted from the axle.

Above is the picture of the caliper mounting bracket that bolts to the front 3 bolts. Mark
Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Here are the brackets:

My 4HU:

Lower bracket is self explainatory, the other brackets fit the cast brake attachement points. Acton Custom used a jig for correct 289 chassis fitment.
In the process of painting the diffy red then I will mount brackets and add pics to this thread....

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 01-23-2011 at 07:12 PM..
Old 01-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Another view from the Aussie's after rebuild.....

Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Jeff for the post. I think it is becoming a little more clearer in my thick head. It looks like your axle retainer and caliper mounting bracket is one piece, where mine is a 2 piece deal. Your side brackets mount to where the existing calipers used to mount. Did you notice that my case has quite a bit different ribbing than your case does. Do you have any idea what year and model your Jag came out of. Thanks again for your reply. Mark
Old 01-24-2011, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 289 center section

It sounds like you have this figured out already so this may not be of any help.
I have an original 289 Salisbury differential that I could take pictures of or measure if it will help. It came out of a 1963 289 owned by Sam Cardwell, I traded him my 3.54 for his 3.73 .
Old 01-24-2011, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Cobra #3170,
If the differential is sitting around where you could take pictures of it pretty easy, it wouldn't hurt. Even around here there are probably some people that have never seen an original differential. If you could make a measurement of flange to flange on the stub axles, I wouldn't mind knowing that either. If it is getting in your way, you could always send it to me, I would be glad to have it. Thanks Mark
Old 01-25-2011, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Leaf spring frame /Jag diff

The above picture is partially completed leaf spring frame with Jag differential sitting in rough position. If it had the proper mounts it would sit up probably another inch higher with the pinion rotated up 2-3 inches. As you can see it is a tight fit. It wouldn't fit at all if it had the type of mount that some people sell for 427 chasis that mounts to the top of the differential. I don't have a picture of that type of mount.

From the rear

From the rear looking upward.

From the side looking in.

Same side looking upward. Sorry for the blury photos. mark
Old 01-26-2011, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Original 289 Rear END

I took some pictures for you and put them in photo bucket showing the rear end and the separate front bolt on mount. While I was at it I photographed the original vinyl current that went behind the seats, the side curtains, the top and the front and rear suspension arms including added gusseting to make them road worthy. I put all that stuff in because they were all stored in the same cabinets and because I have seen questions from time to time asking about various original parts. The stub axle flange to flange dim is 14 inches but the retaining bolts stick out another .5" per, side hope this helps you. I was told years ago by a restorer that the original rear end might as well be made from gold bullion in terms of value and that I would be a fool to ever use it again so I have a pair of Jags that I use now with an adapter. The rear end trans etc, etc will go with the car when it is either restored or sold by the widow.

http://s954.photobucket.com/albums/a...bra498/?action
Old 01-26-2011, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was curious if the Jag differential with adapter brackets was strong enough for spirted or competition use but I guess that question has been answered by 3170!
Larry