21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

Mr. Bumgarner,

For your "clear carbon" did you use a typical (urethane) clear coat on it? Are there any UV concerns if you don't?

Thanks,
John
Old 03-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

I still have the Exact. It will be for sale soon.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hi all i am currently in the process of making all my own molds and tooling for cobra body shell and i want to manufacture a full clear carbon fibre body shell i have been in the composite industry for 11 years working in formula 1 and aerospace and luxury super yachts using advanced composites i was just looking to see if there is people out there who would like to buy this sort of products and also producing all body shells fully finished in the colour you desire and any finish that is required thus meaning no need to spend time and money in the paint shop as my shells will be deliverd fully finished and all body work complete thank you for taking the time out to read this thread
all carbon work i will be using resin infusion

all custom work to bodyshells carried out if you are wanting that something a little bit different

prices i am thinking of selling my products for:

carbon fibre body rough figure £4000

Last edited by jonesandrew6; 03-25-2013 at 03:09 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There could be a market for carbon fiber bodies but IMO, it should be an accurate reproduction of an original car. A body that's not accurate is hit or miss if someone would want it.
Larry
Old 03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Why not ALUMINUM, like the original cars?????????
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i was reading a book on fiberglass body work and there was an article in there about a carbon fiber body that resembled an lmp body style, weighed 35# and one guy picked it up and could walk across the shop with it. the technicalities of laying it up and making it work was pretty labor intensive.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hi vector! thank you for the replies it is very labour intensve but carbon work for me is a labour of love as i have been working with this material for many years within f1 and the composite industry ever since iwas 15 but its like anything once you know how the materials the work is very enjoyable and altho techncially difficult im just startin out makin these products myself as i have the knowledge and skill to start my own venture and all body shells will be an accurate sample of the original no custom work will be done unless it was asked for

thankyou
Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesandrew6 View Post
hi vector! thank you for the replies it is very labour intensve but carbon work for me is a labour of love as i have been working with this material for many years within f1 and the composite industry ever since iwas 15 but its like anything once you know how the materials the work is very enjoyable and altho techncially difficult im just startin out makin these products myself as i have the knowledge and skill to start my own venture and all body shells will be an accurate sample of the original no custom work will be done unless it was asked for

thankyou
An accurate body is nice, but what frame will it be compatible with? If you made it compatible with a FFR frame, I don't think the body could be completely accurate (the newest FFR body looks much more like the original, but still makes compromises to the frame).

Perhaps you should consider making your body compatible with an accurate frame? Like the one that mickmate makes. Chassis : Acton Custom Enterprises, Custom Metal for Cobras
Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Why not ALUMINUM, like the original cars?????????
$5.000 vs. $50.000 - that's why.

(BTW, original cars have Fiberglass bodies too)
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 04-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Pete View Post
$5.000 vs. $50.000 - that's why.

(BTW, original cars have Fiberglass bodies too)
Isn't a Superformance roller about 50k and a Kirkham roller about $70k? Would that lead you to think that an aluminum body is not quite as an expensive cost of the car?

I think there were a few originals re-bodied with fiberglass in the 1970s, but I suspect that they have all been restored to aluminum bodies by now if the owners want to get the best resale value.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 Shelby Cobra, 427FE side oiler, 4 speed top loader, dual holly carbs. Carbon Fiber Frame.
Not Ranked     

Mine (CSX-4507) is a carbon fiber and I just love how it looks. Very strong when you lean on the hood or trunk also. It was 7 of 7 but now I have found out that Shelby made one last unit and will not make anymore. So there are only 8 of the CSX units around.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
Isn't a Superformance roller about 50k and a Kirkham roller about $70k? Would that lead you to think that an aluminum body is not quite as an expensive cost of the car?

NO

Very simple to explain, to upgrade a Kirkham to a stainless steel frame cost $5k
--- just to add a hardtop $15k!

The roller is about $20k without the body...that concludes the body is $50k

If someone would sell an aluminum body for $20k --- he would get a 100 orders within a week, including mine.
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Pete View Post
NO

Very simple to explain, to upgrade a Kirkham to a stainless steel frame cost $5k
--- just to add a hardtop $15k!

The roller is about $20k without the body...that concludes the body is $50k

If someone would sell an aluminum body for $20k --- he would get a 100 orders within a week, including mine.
In Kirkham's 2010 scratch and dent sale they had a special deal on an aluminum body and frame for $20k, but the normal retail price at the time was $30k.

Kirkham SALE!!! Scratch and Dent Clean Up Do It Yourself

Last edited by 1ntCobra; 04-08-2013 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: gramr and speeling
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My measurement of 155 lbs was for the whole CSX4000 fibre body, including everything: inside tub, aluminium spare tire insert, aluminium firewall and tunnel, footboxes, doors, boot, bonnet (single skin). It may even have included the door, boot and bonnet frames made from 3/4" tubing (can't remember anymore)

The main fibre shell by itself is about 65 lbs.

There are other, more important areas to save weight. I.e wheels and tires, or anything rotating for that matter.

But I guess we are past pure weight savings in this thread? It's more about the look of carbon, isn't it? ;-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: