• 1 Post By 1985 CCX

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2021, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Scratch build direction

In looking at building a 427 alloy cobra from scratch I have picked up on some valuable information from this site. I am geared up with the proper equipment from other projects to do this. I'm curious if anybody is familiar, has used, or viewed the plans, that can be found on a cobra website from "Chuckcobra". If so are they helpful with regards to actual geometry and placement of the pieces from these drawings. I have reached out to him thru email with that very question and awaiting a response.
I also read here that if one builder had to do it again he would have bought the chassis, recommended Acton Enterprises, and concentrated on the rest. Looking at Acton Enterprises products but have seen many mixed reviews on this site of him. Looking to build what cobrakiwi, Craig Coombe, recently completed with regards to an alloy bodied 427 build.
Thank you
Cory
Old 05-14-2021, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Have you ever built a car from scratch before? If the answer is no, then the idea of taking on a scratch build Cobra replica as your first project can be a bit of a reach.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 05-14-2021 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 05-14-2021, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Your profile doesn't give your location, but from your references I'm guessing Australia? If so the pool of resources available to you changes.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Have you ever built a car from scratch before? If the answer is no, then the idea of taking on a scratch build Cobra replica as you first project can be a bit of a reach.

Ed
This is the gospel truth and a whole lot understated. If you are not an experienced fabricator of both mechanical (frame) and aluminum or fiberglass (body) it is more likely that the project will end with a pile of parts on the garage floor than a completed car in the garage. It's made more difficult by the fact that the Cobra has not a single straight line in it. So you need good bucks for an aluminum build or molds for fiberglass. Without those it's a non-starter. Furthermore, unless you have a professional auto garage, you're going to need tons of tools that you don't have, aren't cheap, and you'll use only once.

If you are into this project because of your fervent love for "some assembly required" then go for it. But there are other cars that will be much easier and much less frustrating and more likely to complete than a Cobra.

If you are thinking of building a Cobra because you've always wanted one but think building one will save you money, hit the master reset switch. Do not start. Just buy one. Even an experienced builder will spend years on the project. Meanwhile if you buy one you'll have the pleasure of driving it. And if driving and not building (as in the previous paragraph) is your goal, buying one will get you in the drivers seat much sooner and with a much lower degree of frustration.

The people that give you advice here will also state that they have given the same advice over and over again. ..

Use search. There are probably a dozen topics on the "build a kit" over the past year. Scratch build adds another magnitude of difficulty over a kit.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 05-14-2021 at 04:31 PM..
Old 05-15-2021, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am located in NH, USA. I do appreciate all the answers so far. I do realize my statement was very very broad in my first post and the responses received dictate that with good advice. I have given that same advice. I reported I had the appropriate equipment for a task like this. I didn't want to get into what I do or have done but here goes.
I have restored multiple cars for myself and for shops that are well known in the vintage Ferrari world. The difficulty with 50's-60's Ferrari's is that not a lot, if any , "restoration" information is available and working on these cars takes a tremendous amount of research. Those circles are very small. Not to mention any factory information is in Italian. Included in what I call "restoration" was, is, mostly fabrication. Metal fabrication...body panels, chassis, etc. Working with steel and aluminum. These kinds of parts are not available, anywhere, and must be fabricated. In my case this involves the use of the following: welders (tig/mig/stick), my english wheel, power hammer, shrinker/stretcher, many different body hammer/dollies, body picks, shrinking discs...etc. All done in my shop. As previously stated work was not only on vintage Ferrari's but also included Maserati. Mostly fabrication was done but always turns into some sort of mechanical work as well.
With all that being said I did here from the gentleman with the cobra drawings. It was apparent that he has put a tremendous amount of effort and detail into what he is offering.
So I guess I would ask again: 1) Has anyone used cobra chucks plans to build a cobra
2) Has anyone dealt with or used Acton Enterprises's materials or products they offer
Just trying to heed a forum members advice as to purchasing a frame, whether, partial or done to take a few items from this project off the table. However, if the project needs to go that route then so be it.

Once again, Thank you for your time.
Cory
Old 05-15-2021, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Cory
Do yourself a huge favor and get intouch with either Mongoose 930, Kevin or 1985ccx Jeff both very nice guys and in your neck of the woods.
I believe they have plenty of cobra get togethers, they are both very knowledgeable in the answers you seek.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Craig...understood.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like you're prepared. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Hi Cory,

This is the link to my build which Craig did: Alloy Hi-Tech Build

I live in NH and would be happy to show you my car and discuss my experiences over the last 10 years.

I would not recommend giving anyone (except Craig) a dime without either talking to me or Jeff
Blue66 and 1985 CCX like this.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Hi Cory,
I'm into scratch building cars and am glad to see when others are also taking that journey. It sounds like you have some relevant background for this. I've heard an estimate that it takes at least 5,000 to 6,000 hours to complete a scratch built car. The first one I did is a Ferrari 250 GTO and it took 20+ years to complete and I have no idea for the hours because I didn't track. I'm in the middle of scratch building a Lamborghini Miura SV now and I'd estimate it will take less years (I'm retired now) but more time than the GTO.

I do know Chuck (haven't talked to him in a few years though) and saw him build his scratch built Daytona Coupe. I don't know about the Cobra plans but Chuck is a very knowledgeable guy and does know Cobras from his experience with an original 427 that he still owns. I used him as an advisor early on in the planning stages of my GTO build. I'm not sure how active he is these days but that just could be because we haven't crossed paths recently.

The build thread for my GTO project is here: https://www.allmetalshaping.com/show...hlight=ferrari If you are already into metal shaping you probably already know about this forum. If not, it's a great resource as many knowledgeable and helpful people frequent it. You do need to register as a member (it's free) to see the pictures though.

The build threads for my Miura are here: https://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=18058 and here: https://www.gt40s.com/threads/modern-day-miura.54786/

Feel free to contact me if you like.

Ciao
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Joel
Thank you for the feedback on Chuck. He seems very thorough with his plans and an overall nice guy. I am familiar with that forum and your build. Great stuff.....Thanks for the offer.
Regards
Cory
Old 06-30-2021, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Mine, small block FORD
Not Ranked     

Hey all,
Just my 2 cents but I am working on a scratch built 289 car and I purchased a set of drawings from Chuck last summer and more recently his new set of fiberglass footbox and trunk bottom drawings.
His stuff is top notch, all done in CAD and is saving me a ton of time!

He has built both a 289 slabside replica and then the Daytona coupe that is nearing completion, and yes he owns an original 427 car as well. He has a wealth of knowledge on these cars and some considerable fabricating skills too.
I know they look expensive from the outset but once you see how much has gone into creating them you will be amazed they don't cost more.

I am guessing some of the good folks that were recommended to build you a chassis are using these drawings to work from, they would be foolish not to.

Don't be afraid to try, the originals were built by some British guys in a big shed, with arc welders, torches and mallets they are not complicated designs.

Measure twice, cut, weld, repeat
1985 CCX and coryh like this.

Perhaps he was always a shyster, but we just chose to over look it for awhile.

You build what you like and I will build what I like...it's all good

You know that guy,
The one in the neighborhood who likes to hang around the garage while you are working and talk about back when he had that killer 1977 Chevy Mustang

Last edited by old willy; 07-01-2021 at 08:22 AM..
Old 07-01-2021, 06:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Cory

I am building a 427 right now, come see.... (not posting as owner wants it hush)
There are a few warnings of who to avoid and who to do buisness with as there are scoundrels in the Cobra business. There are some great ones too

Its a project for the determined for sure as scratch means everything is in your hands and every part in your search.

Call anytime! Again be careful with who you use as a supplier as there is one to avoid in NH.

All the best and here to help....
Blue66, FIA289, eschaider and 1 others like this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 07-01-2021 at 07:03 AM..
Old 07-03-2021, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Cory,

I bought Chuck's complete Daytona drawings sets plus the 289 cast parts set. I'm starting my project of scratch building a Daytona Coupe. The plans are plans and appears very good, but they are not instructions and require you to connect the dots. That's fine with me as I enjoy the fabrication side of things. In this particular case I will need to acquire new skills to fabricate the body, but that's what I want.

I'm more of a builder than a driver, so for me building a chassis from scratch is more interesting for me than buying one. from the looks of it, equipment, experience and space is not an issue for you.

I expect to do 700 to 1000 hrs a year on the coupe, I know it wont be done in two years, but I'm confident that with the drawings and this forum it will get done. I'll start a build tread in the scratch built section of the forum in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Fred
Old 07-03-2021, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The plans are plans and appears very good, but they are not instructions and require you to connect the dots.

I like the way you put that. The plans are way better than nothing but leave a lot to be desired. The worst thing about them is his use of the autocad dimensions. Your will need lots of scratch paper to do the math and trig that should be on the plans. I am building a daytona coupe and have found several problems with the plans. I hope he has fixed the problems with the plans that i told him about.

I expect to do 700 to 1000 hrs a year on the coupe,

Cheers,
Fred[/quote]

I think i spent about that amount of time doing research to make heads or tails out of his plans to be able to use them. So yes you will spend plenty of time connecting the dots. If you were to scratch build an airplane using plans there would be a 100 times more info in the plans for less money.

Are the plans worth the money? Yes because for the same money you could not come up with the info you get from him.

Here is the link to my build. scratch build
I have not worked on it in a long time.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fred
Good Luck. Chuck has been responsive to questions and updates when needed. This forum has a lot of good people with great advice and information.
Enjoy
Cory
FIA289 likes this.
Old 07-04-2021, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I built a few chassis using Cobra Restorers and CSX 4000 drawings. I recon I am less equipped than you are and personally I would rather buy a basic rolling chassis from one of the existing builders: At least (ally) body, chassis and suspension.

I definitely won't roll/bend the door, hood and trunk tubes ever again. 16 hours, plus a few to make them eventually fit.

The chassis can be welded in 5 days, if you get the brackets laser cut. The control arms another day or two.

Body takes 2 months.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Time is of the essence.
It’s about patience, planning to make the best you can.
Focus on the car not timing .....
coryh likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: