14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     
Default Any other scratch builders using a small block?

Just wondering if any of the other scratch builders are using a small block in your build?

I'm building a 351W/393 stroker for my build and I would like to trade some information back and forth if anyone is interested. I think I found that my engine is going to have to be raised from the position I have the engine mounts built for, so I'll be taking care of that before I start fabbing up my headers- hopefully next week.

I'm quickly becoming an expert at building this car as I think I have done just about everything on this car at least twice!

Also, when I was checking for clearance for my trunk metal, I ran the suspension through it's travel and only then did I discover that my rear suspension (designed by me with no skills whatsoever) has absolutely terrible geometry. I think I am going to have to relocate the upper control arm pick up points to take care of this. Guess I'll be spending some time at the drawing board testing new points with mock-ups until I find one that works.....

Bob
Old 10-04-2007, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     

pictures man pictures!...actually I think i am going with a 390 BBF but always wondered if the small block would be way different.
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 10-05-2007, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Bob

When I build a chassis( for Pro Stocker or street rod) I set up a nine inch rear with a length of heavy wall tube (2.750x.750) that goes thru the main bearing saddles of the mock up engine---this gives me the driveline centerline, I set the high of the crank pulley, oil pan and probably the most restrictive objech being the scattershield lower flange. all this is set relative to ground level---it is then pretty much an absolute to build from---

Jerry
Old 10-07-2007, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am building twin turbo 351. I will use fake headers and use mustang H pipes
Old 10-07-2007, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Good luck trying to fit all that under the car.....

Why the fake headers? I would think with a twin turbo set up you would need all the breathing you could muster.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A guy in Kentucky got a twin turbo 302 to fit; a 351 is less wide than a 4.6.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid
Not Ranked     

Three Peaks, I have built a couple. What do you have? Maybe I can help.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I installed the engine block so I can attach some junk heads to start fabbing my headers and my engine seems to be sitting lower than I thought it should. I notice my stock oil pan sticks below the rails by about 1/2" or so.

What is the dimension on your cars from the top of the rails to the engine mount bolts? I may have to redo my motor perches on the frame......

Thanks,
Bob

Enyawix,
I was referring to the Mustang H pipe set up you plan on using under the car. I'm just curious how you plan to fit it all in given the limited space and clearance under these cars.

Bob
Old 10-08-2007, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     

If the price of gas keeps going up I may just instal a 4.0 V6 with 5 speed just so I can still enjoy the car, but mine is still in the design/collecting stage until I finish remodeling the shop. Just my 0.02 worth. Carl
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

The finish is better than the beginning. Ecc7:8
Old 10-08-2007, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid
Not Ranked     

Did you have a transmission and bellhousing installed? 1/2" below the rails seems way too low. On mine, I have the oil pan sitting 1/2" higher than the bottom of the rails. Any lower and the starter area of the bellhousing will hit the passenger frame rail. I am doing a Cleveland in a 427 chassis right now, and I decided to offset the engine to the passenger side 1/2" like an FE would be. It didn't make a difference on the starter clearance and it allowed me to bolt the transmission up to the stock tranny mount so I can install an FE later on with no other modifications.

I'll measure tomorrow and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks
I installed the engine block so I can attach some junk heads to start fabbing my headers and my engine seems to be sitting lower than I thought it should. I notice my stock oil pan sticks below the rails by about 1/2" or so.

What is the dimension on your cars from the top of the rails to the engine mount bolts? I may have to redo my motor perches on the frame......

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-09-2007, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

About 7" to the passenger side front bolt of the block mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks