14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     
Default Joey's build!

(Couldn't find my old thread so I started this new one)

Well finally started welding. Had to build a work table with adjustable legs so that I could get everything nice and level. Then started tacking my frame parts together. Here are the results after 8hrs of sparks.

"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 01-23-2008, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch build self design 4.6l DOHC
Not Ranked     

Well, looks like your getting some work done, coming along nicely. It will be great to follow someone else's build for awhile. Love the work outfit, shorts and tennies. Sparks in your shoes hurt, trust me.
Patrick
Old 01-24-2008, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yeah Patrick , that thread!
...I hate it when that happens.
I wonder if I can delete this one and
re-post everything on the old one?
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 02-01-2008, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Haven't done much the last few days...been getting over a chest cold but I did tack on a couple more pieces.
Will start working on my front control arms this weekend. going to copycat Patrick's somewhat, they will be a little different in size. (my friend asked me why I don't just by the control arms...some people will never get it)

Old 02-07-2008, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

tacked together my tubular arms today. still need to decide how I will thread my heim joints in....
FLCA:

FUCA:
Old 02-07-2008, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

looking good Joey, but, ya there's always buts, you might want to angle the sleave on the lower ball joint. Check your prints this is nessesary for wheel travel.
Patrick
Old 02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DOH!! I hate when that happens
Old 02-07-2008, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And that is why we only tack things together at first!, should be an easy fix, take care of it in the morning. Thanks P.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     

good job, Patrick told me about the angle on the bottom before I started, was a big help. Carl
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

The finish is better than the beginning. Ecc7:8
Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Starting a Scratch Build - 289 FIA Car
Not Ranked     

Joey:
What you are looking for are called bungs. Go to E-Bay and do a search on "bungs" and you will find several listings for bungs complete with heim joint2. As for attaching the bungs to the A Arm tubing, I usually weld the bung at the bung/tubing interface point and I rosebud (also called a plug weld) weld the body of the bung (i.e., drill a hole in the tubing, push the bung in and weld the bung body to the tubing by filling the hole) to the tubing.
Scott
Old 02-08-2008, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott,
thanks for the bung info, never heard of them. checking ebay now.
cheers!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here a picture of what I used for my 4 link on my Locost racecar:
I got them off Mcmaster carr. They call them "Tube end weld nut",
I've seen them called also treaded inserts. I've seen them at HRP as well as Chassis Shop.

Fred
Old 02-08-2008, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     

I went to a companycalled A&A Mfg. A&A Manufacturing Online to get their catalog and found most of the dinensions for the suspension hangers that I made for my 4 link, they have many parts for the racers and builders for circle track racing.Hope this helps. Carl
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

The finish is better than the beginning. Ecc7:8
Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

well. I decided to go with the el-cheapo method, welded nuts on the arms.
I ordered the wrong size ball joints so i used some duct tape on the small ones for fitting purposes. This is what I have so far.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates in-work again
Not Ranked     

That is to cool. I have all the respect for you for taking on such a project. Go get'R done.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Joey, did you get the wrong joints or the wrong sleeves if the joints fit the spindles correctly I would get new sleeves and replace the ones in the arms.If you have to ream the spindles It could turn into a real B%#H. the reams are very pricey.

Oh hey, why is the right spindle on the left side?
Patrick
Old 02-17-2008, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The I.D. of my sleeves is 2" and there is about 1/8" of slop where the stud goes through the spindles so I am pretty sure I got the wrong ball joints. I only bought 2 so at least that is a good thing.
I did have the wrong spindle in the picture, i just grabbed the nearest one when I was trying to mock eveything up. I also realized that I don't have any droop, my coilovers are maxed out and the lower arm is horizontal. I have to shorten the arms one inch and I am also going to lower my shock tower a bit to see if that helps...thank God everything is just tacked together

Last edited by joey_hv; 02-17-2008 at 08:44 AM..
Old 02-17-2008, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch building
Not Ranked     
Talking Droop

Hey Joey, glad to see you getting started.I looked at your photos and question the suspension pick up points.Appears that you are building a frame similar to an original and with that there is a geometry related to that style of engineering.You may want to look at a set of cobra restorer plans as they will give a clue as to travel for that style of frame.I have never been a believer of welding nuts to critical suspension pieces , even with the best tig work there is a potential for fracture at that weld.I prefer to tap the tube and then do all the bends,etc.Gives the whole length of tube a threaded support for my 3/4" heims.
Good luck and stay with it....
Old 02-17-2008, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alfy,
I was looking at your frame and it is a work of art.
I must not have the complete set of Cobra restorers plans, mine don't mention suspension whatsoever.
Just wondering, what size tap do you use for your tubes? 3/4" heims fit perfectly?
I am using DOM 1" .125 thick pipe.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Joey I used weld in threaded sleeves, you can plug weld them and avoid a shear line across your weld.
http://http://www.howeracing.com/Sus...dInSleeves.htm