12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     
Default Mounting Seats

I'm at the last couple things I need to do to the chassis and I am wondering how you guys have mounted your seats. I would like to weld on any brackets now so I don't have to do it on the final assembly after the frame is painted.

Anyone have any pics of how you did it?
I have two ideas of how to accomplish this- either place 2 cross pieces on each side to bolt down to later, or my preferred method, place sheet of #11 or #12 Guage steel welded between top of the main tubes and the 2x2 outriggers to bolt down to after installing the interior tub and carpet.

Bob
Old 03-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
I'm at the last couple things I need to do to the chassis and I am wondering how you guys have mounted your seats. I would like to weld on any brackets now so I don't have to do it on the final assembly after the frame is painted.
This might give you some ideas...

Old 03-14-2009, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

What am I looking at? I don't want to bolt my seats down to the cockpit aluminum floors, just not solid enough in an emergency stop or accident...

However, that is pretty close to my idea for using #11 or #12 Sheet steel welded down to bolt the seats and sub belt to.

Bob
Old 03-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
What am I looking at? I don't want to bolt my seats down to the cockpit aluminum floors, just not solid enough in an emergency stop or accident...

However, that is pretty close to my idea for using #11 or #12 Sheet steel welded down to bolt the seats and sub belt to.
That's the aluminum floor, where the seats bolt down -- similar to the original. Here's a shot from below. Remember, so long as your belts go to the frame (and not something weak), your seats could literally be velcroed to the floor (well, maybe not velcro).

Old 03-14-2009, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Starting a Scratch Build - 289 FIA Car
Not Ranked     

Bob: I have a 427 frame (exact copy) that I can shot a couple of pictures of to show you brackets used to mount the seats. If you need the pictures, I can take them tomorrow and send them to you.

Scott
Old 03-14-2009, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott, thanks, that would be helpful as my frame should be just about an exact copy of yours. (Cobra Restorers plans copy, I believe).
Old 03-14-2009, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ya, you definitely need some brackets welded off of the frame, to mount your seats, I did the same for my seat belts too.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The seats in my Arntz were bolted right to the fiberglass. It wass kind of scary although the belts would hold you in as they were bolted to the frame.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I located the seats in the cockpit where I liked. Then I drilled the floor for the mounting bolts (5/16" grade 5). I had to weld 1/4" angle iron to the frame in a couple of places to give me a place to bolt to. Some of the bolts go thru the frame. For the seat belt mounts I used 1/2" Gr 5 bolts and 3/8" angle iron. I think the seat could bolt to the floor (fiberglass or sheet aluminum) but the seat belt needs to bolt to the frame.
Touch up paint on the frame and it's ready to go.

Dwight
Old 03-15-2009, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 S/C #253, KCR Built CSX #452
Not Ranked     

Bob,

Email me or give me a call and I'll put the Kmp up on the lift. I've got one factory seat out and you can inspect the bottom of it as well as see that the seat actually bolts to "sold" frame.

Scott
Old 03-15-2009, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Scott,
Email sent.

Bob
Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Attached are two photos of the passenger side seat mounts. The left side seat track bolts to the short bracket on the rear and the triangle shape bracket on the front. The right side seat track bolts to the 1.25 inch rectangular tube that runs parallel to the frame.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott,
Thanks, that is pretty close to what I had in mind for my attachments. What kind of seats do you have? Metal frame or fiberglass bucket?

Bob
Old 03-15-2009, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have metal frame seats (427 cobra type with rubber spring bottom). I have not covered my seats yet..... and can provide pictures of the frames if you need them.

Scott
Old 03-24-2009, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I figured out how to mount my seats. Went and looked at a Kirkham owned by a member of the club and it all made sense after a quick look.
I drew up some bases for the seats and had them made up at a fab shop I use. My small metal brake wouldn't bend 14 guage steel in this size.

Here are the bases. I made the top a flat platform to bolt the seat down to and the sides are separate legs with and "L" bottom to bolt down to the chassis. The rear of the base is 1/2" raised and bolted for a pivot point. The front is 1 3/8" at the lowest point with a second bolt hole to raise the front of the base to 1 5/8" to give a bit more incline. On my original style chassis, I didn't need any additional brackets as I planned it to line up with the existing outriggers and the existing bolt down tab on near the tunnel.

Here is a pic, let me know what you think. I can have more made up if anyone is interested.
Attached Images

Last edited by Three Peaks; 03-24-2009 at 10:26 AM..