Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2021, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ford View Post
I havent torn it down but it looks like a rod broke. There's a window on the passenger side and a crack on the drivers side along the pan rail.
Do you mean that there is actually a "window" in the side of the block, created by a broken rod?
If so, surely that block is a write-off? Common sense (and cost) would suggest a new block would be the best option.

As an aside....remember back a few decades ago, when a Ferrari F1 car retired from a race, and the reason the Team gave for the retirement would be given as "perdita d'olio" (oil leak)?
Of course, had nothing to do with the rod poking through the hole in the block

Cheers,
Glen
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by xb-60; 02-22-2021 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 02-23-2021, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, Shelby aluminum 496 ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Do you mean that there is actually a "window" in the side of the block, created by a broken rod?
If so, surely that block is a write-off? Common sense (and cost) would suggest a new block would be the best option.

As an aside....remember back a few decades ago, when a Ferrari F1 car retired from a race, and the reason the Team gave for the retirement would be given as "perdita d'olio" (oil leak)?

Cheers,
Glen
I'm taking the engine to Survival Motorsports and in talking with Barry, he said the alloy blocks can be welded and be fine. He will tear it down and go from there.
ERA #115 - sold
ERA #002 - sold
67 Fairlane
'68 mustang
'95 SVT Cobra
Old 02-23-2021, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ford View Post
The engine in the car was the "born with" engine and the shelby alloy block was chosen specifically for the CSX part number which is a partial VIN match to the car. If it's possible to repair it, I want to. If it's so far damaged that it's unfeasable to repair and make it reliable I'll put a new short block in it. Barry R will let me know once he has it apart.
That's pretty cool !! Do you think the rod over heated ? Or was it just a weak link ?

Quote:

Glen
Yes, I think as long as there is no significant damage to main webbing, other vital parts of block, it can be fixed. It's the way to go.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 02-23-2021, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

when I got my CSX 6000 series car, the first thing I did was remove all the old rubber fuel lines and replace them with -6 nylon braided fuel lines from summit racing...I made an effort to keep them far away from heat sources like headers... I was told by David Kirkham to use the oil cooler as well... I only street the car...
sgianino likes this.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:28 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:

Cheers,
Glen
Sounds like an oil leak to me

Doug,
“Numbers matching” on a continuation is just for fun. It’s something to mention in an ad but couldnt put $1 on its value.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Last edited by rodneym; 02-23-2021 at 02:32 PM..
Old 02-23-2021, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Oil Cooler

I can attest to the oil cooler not being needed. I am in the middle of installing an Improved racing sandwich type thermostat to get the oil temp up. As far as the routing of the lines, that would depend on the type of remote you have. If it's a Canton, it's pretty simple. Canton has an in and out on both sides of the remote. Oil line out from the engine to the in on the canton. Out of the Canton to the cooler. Through the cooler and back to the engine. Be certain to identify the out line from the engine.

Fred
Old 02-24-2021, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
I can attest to the oil cooler not being needed. I am in the middle of installing an Improved racing sandwich type thermostat to get the oil temp up. As far as the routing of the lines, that would depend on the type of remote you have. If it's a Canton, it's pretty simple. Canton has an in and out on both sides of the remote. Oil line out from the engine to the in on the canton. Out of the Canton to the cooler. Through the cooler and back to the engine. Be certain to identify the out line from the engine.

Fred
which oil thermostat are you using?
Old 02-24-2021, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Oil Temp Thermostat

This sandwich type from Improved Racing. It appears to be very well made and it's rebuildable.

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
which oil thermostat are you using?
Old 02-24-2021, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
This sandwich type from Improved Racing. It appears to be very well made and it's rebuildable.

Fred

how is this installed when using a remote oil filter mount? I would like to see an installed photo
Old 02-24-2021, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Improved Racing has a version that can be used with the remote filter. That is what I am putting on my ERA build.

John
Old 02-24-2021, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Installation.

I will take a picture of it tomorrow and post it. You unscrew the filter from the remote mount. This unit is screwed on where the filter was and the filter is screwed onto the thermostat. There are 2 oil lines to connect to and from the filter to the Cooler.

Fred

Quote:
how is this installed when using a remote oil filter mount? I would like to see an installed photo

Last edited by FredG; 02-25-2021 at 02:48 PM..
Old 02-24-2021, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I will take a picture of it tomorrow and post it. You unscrew the filter from the remote mount. This unit is screwed on where the filter was and the filter is screwed onto the thermostat. There are 2 oil lines to connect to and from the filter to the thermostat.

Fred
I assume you meant "There are 2 oil lines to connect to and from the filter to the oil cooler."

Instructions: https://www.improvedracing.com/manua...ction%20Manual
Old 02-24-2021, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

This is a remote oil filter mount with thermostat for use with an oil cooler.

Remote Engine & Transmission Oil Filter Mount with Thermostat
https://www.improvedracing.com/remot...t-env-170.html
Old 02-25-2021, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Here's an installation on a 289 that gives you a rough idea of the plumbing. You can see where the filter was originally mounted on the left front side of the block....

Name:  ERA2131_engine_1.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  92.2 KB

Cheers,
Glen
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Connection

Yes. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
I assume you meant "There are 2 oil lines to connect to and from the filter to the oil cooler."

Instructions: https://www.improvedracing.com/manua...ction%20Manual
Old 02-25-2021, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Oil Temp Thermostat Pics.

Here are the pics I promised. First pic is the original config of Canton Remote with oil lines. Second is new configuration of the oil lines to and from the engine. Oil thermostat is sandwiched in between the filter and the Canton. Third is taken from underneath showing the thermostat fittings facing forward that will connect to and from the cooler. I have to cut and make up the lines. Hope they are helpful.

Fred

Old 03-01-2021, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reference on improvedracing.com, I am also looking to install an oil thermostat. I am not sure what the pros/cons are, but with the sandwich type ENV-131 unit, the oil does not flow through the filter until after it has flowed through the oil cooler (when the thermostat allows it), while with the remote mount ENV-170 unit, the oil always goes through the filter first. Attached are the flow diagrams when the oil is hot enough to open the thermostat.
Attached Images