Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2000, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Jason,

That is very kind of you to offer a viewing of your car. I hope my experince and how I felt did not come across as me being angry and hostile towards anything and everything Cobra. It is one experience, and a few ignorant souls.

I have already committed to a competitor's car, so I am no longer a good prospect. I would however stop by next time I am in your area to show that I bear no malice towards others just because they represent CSX4000.

I do realize, it was the factory, and it still is. They are the ones initiating this ill fated law suit, and it was also the factory (at least those representing the factory) during my visit that behaved in such a stupid way.

You sound like a fine gentleman, as a matter of fact the only person from that side showing any sign of civility and courtesy. Thank you very much.

Turk
Old 07-31-2000, 06:55 AM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool

Mr. Len,
You missed your calling and if the Wingets were on top of this entire situation, they'd certainly be impressed with your responsiveness and courtesy. As I've stated in several posts, I don't think that the boss is aware of half of the problems plaguing SAI. Sometimes the lack of communication or careful restriction of responses is far more damaging than placing the cards on the table and dealing with the outcome. I sincerely hope that you do not become part of the attrition when this friction resolves. You appear to be a gentleman with a sense of logic.

DDS/The First Edition
Old 08-01-2000, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Please see All Cobra Talk for public apology to Turk from Shelby American, Inc.

Wayne Stoker
Old 04-28-2001, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Samson Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Samson
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

I too am not interested in dealing with SAI after making 3 email enquiries and not receiving the courtesy of one reply. No matter how good or bad the product is, I wouldn't spend one red cent on an outfit that is so discourtious to a potential customer.
Old 04-30-2001, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave Samson
You are seeing the IMPROVED/GENTLER/and NICER side of SAI. You should have seen them before. They had some employees others still talk about.

Between you and I, I can already count two sales they lost out on.
In my case they were very prompt and polite in responding to my mail and phone inquiries and they sent me all the information I asked for immediately.

They blew it when I actually showed up unexpectedly with money in my pocket to give them a deposit. It went down hill from there. Since the incident, I have toured their faclity and was properly and politely received by Wayne Stoker. I understand he no longer works there either. I wonder who is in charge now and how well they are doing with their customers.

TURK
Old 04-30-2001, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '73 Jensen Healey Mk.I #13046
Not Ranked     
Angry Suspicions Confirmed

Turk;

It was so very nice to finally meet you at Knott's, you are such a fine gentleman. I was really upset over this post or thread or what ever this is called, what can you expect from me? I'm just a poor dumn ****** to the boy's(did I say Boy?) at SAI, well I'm born in South Africa, of American Citizens working at the embasy, doesn't mean anything to the Good Ole' Boy's as SAI, hey you ignorant "Cracker" I'm a white, African-American, oh! well what do they know anyway, they'll be out of a job soon anyway. I was also treated very poorly on the phone, but I fooled them, I also took my money elsewhere. Turk, sorry for what you endured from them face to face, you are a lot nicer than I am, but you already knew that, remember you met me the other night. Just kidding. I have even more respect for you and a equal amount of venom for "them". Jim

Last edited by JimsGems; 04-30-2001 at 11:48 PM..
Old 05-15-2001, 12:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You sound like a decent bunch of Cobra enthusiasts. Who the hell needs these Cobra replicas from SAI, we build great replicas in Australia. From the specifications listed of SAI's latest replica, I'm sure I would not want to drive it, it just would not be competitive on the track. Let market forces determine their fate, in time they will definitely get what they deserve.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Turk,

I have to say that i wish i would have found this web site and had read your post 6 month ago ill tell you i would have bought my heads from someone other than SAI.
Old 08-11-2001, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hello Turk:

We have never met.

Kris and Shaun brought back your posters that you gave them last weekend in Reno, at the Hot August Nights event, asking for Carroll to sign them for you.

Carroll signed them yesterday and they will go out in Monday's mail.

I understand that you, Kris and Shaun had a pleasant meeting in Reno. I am glad to hear that.

Maybe, just maybe, you and those who read this site someday will realize that those of us who are real Shelby people, attempt to treat all as we would want to be treated.

I realize, and it is proven here, since above response from was written Aug 8, that what you wrote about us will never go away.

I am not going to use this forum nor any other for public bantering on any issue.

Just want you and those who still read this section to know that your posters are in the mail.

Bob Marsh, Shelby Cobra Business Unit Manager
Old 08-11-2001, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

Yeah but... I paid for the lunch!

Bob,
Thanks. There is a time and a point where we have to move on. I have.
It is regrettable that the pleasantries are being exchanged under this thread where there is waaay too much negativity. I would have preferred a different thread, but since we are here already, we'll do it here.

You are very fortunate to have two staunch supporters of cars and people in your employ.
Kris and Shaun are an asset I wish I had working for me. Their passion for Cobras are equalled by no others, including me.
Ironically their age and position in life don't afford them the opportunity to own a Cobra yet, but they will.

You couldn't have asked for a better represantation for your company during Hot August Nights. They were enthusiastic pleasant and helpful.
There was so much good will towards your car, it will probably show up at the cash register eventually.

Kris actually gave me a ride, and allowed me to give him a hard time while doing so. Ask him why the lemonade stains on the passenger seat of the car he brought with him.

By the way, I am eternally gratefull to Carrol for his willingness to sign the posters. One will be prominently displayed at my office, while the other will rest in my home office which has began resembling a Carroll Shelby Shrine. You probably wouldn't know that from my previous posts.

Like I said before, I wish this exchange was taking place under a different thread, maybe we can ask Brent to archive it and leave the last few posts in tact.

Either way, I am sure those reading will read the good and the bad. The tone in your post can't be mistaken as being sincere and pleasant. I hope the adults reading this will credit me with as much.
Thanks again.

TURK
A Fan for life, tell him so.

Old 08-11-2001, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And no matter who works for CAI these days, the fact that my 3 emails enquiring into the CSX have remained unanswered indicates to me where the buck stops.
Old 08-11-2001, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The nut dosen't fall far from the tree.

I live in Morro Bay, close to San Luis Obispo, CA. I have attended all of the "wheels of SLO" car shows.

At the last one there were six Cobra replicas entered. four of us were parked close together.

While I was away from my car, viewing others in the show, my friends wife (a Cobra kit owner) over heard the salesman who was displaying the CSX4000 entry from XK's Unlimited make the comment that his car was the only real Cobra in the show, and running down the other entries.

I have read a lot of the late stuff about how Shelby never really went out of business so they are still 'real Cobras'. Give me a break! The current CSX4000 cars are just as much a replica as any other out there.

For one they use the Kirkham designed body developed by a couple brothers in Utah and manufactured in Poland at an old MIG factory. Intended to be sold as a kit.

I believe that the cars are ok. Just that they are no better than any other kit. Like the the original Cobras and the Superformance cars they are not available as an owner assembled kit but, that still dosen't make them plated with precious metal.

I also don't like that there is a built in donation to one of Shelby's favorite charities. I'll do my own donating, thank you very much.

I toured the Shelby facilities while I was in LV the last time and I thought that they had a pretty well run operation. I have also visited XK's Unlimited and heard only good comments about their work.

It is sad that the attitude of some individuals involved can really curdle the cream.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default owner assembled kit?

Rick,
If SAI doesn't sell an owner-assembled kit, then what's spread all over my garage? Do you mean it was supposed to come assembled?
Seriously, Rick, one of the many misconceptions about Shelby's new Cobras is that you have to pay big bucks for an assembled car. WRONG. While not cheap at around $40K, you can buy a "component Cobra" and have the fun and cost savings of putting it together yourself. Add an engine, tranny, paint, and battery, stir well, and you're off! The Shelby cars come COMPLETE, with every last nut, bolt, rivet, etc. NO PARTS HUNTING, except for the above-mentioned drivetrain/battery/paint.
I'd like to see a factual cost comparison, brand by brand, on just exactly what is needed and the costs involved to put all the major makers' cars together to the same options level. To do it "right" (my term), my research indicates that any of the better kits, built to replicate an original, all cost way more than the numbers you see on these web sites. For those about to flame me, notice I said AUTHENTIC, that is, as close as can be to a 60's Cobra. I could put a FFR together for $20k, too, but it wouldn't replicate an original very closely. Nothing at all wrong with FFR cars. Just for me, a close replica is what I wanted.(Actualy, I want an original. But my wife feels it's too much of a stretch to sell all our worldly belongings and live under a bridge so I can drive an original Cobra. Go figure.) I still feel the Shelby car, due to its completeness and authenticity, represents a good value when assembled by the owner.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SAI has asked Brent Mills to lock this tread and let it slip into the archives. We believe we have either adequately answered the initial inquiry within this thread, answered similar questions on the general forum, or that the subject has become dated. If you have further inquiry into this subject please contact me or Bob Marsh directly by e-mail. Bob is responsible for our Cobra program
Old 08-13-2001, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug, I'll be one of the first to admit that I may not have noticed the mention of a component kit as I read through the data before making my assumptions.

I received a brochure from SAI a while back and recall no mention of a 'component car'. I'll dig it out and read it again with your information in mind.

I have read all the printed, magazine, information that I could find, I have talked to the local outlet, I also toured the facility at LV and have seen no mention of a component kit, in either fiberglass or aluminum, available.

I feel that the Shelby name will add to the value of any car that can claim it. I just don't see, and I have seen their offerings, that it is any better than other cars that were assembled 'correctly'.

Shelby stayed out of the business for years and now wants to be king of the hill again. Well, let him compete with the others on level ground and the buyers will decide . Forget the law suits, put the legal fees into his favorute charity, and offer a kit that is competitive in both price and quality. I'd look seriously at that.