Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CSX4000 vs CSX3000

What are the differences between the CSX4000 and CSX3000 Cobras?

Also, what is the "continuation series" cars? Are these the CSX3000's that were not completed in the 60's? or are these the CSX4000?
Old 02-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

CSX3000 series is the original Cobra...big-block, coil spring.

CSX4000 series are the present day replicas of those made by Shelby Auto.

The term "continuation" relates to the CSX4000 series.

The term "completion" (no longer used) referred to the attempt by SAI to assign unused 3000 series CSX numbers to modern cars. Didn't work out well.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

The 4000 series is the continuation series which I believe started production in 1997 by Shelby in Vegas. Frame and body are dead on to the original cars with very small differances. Original cars were Aluminum keep that in mind. The 4000 series cars are differant in these areas and I am sure some that others can fill in.

4000;
fiberglass body (if you do not opt for the aluminum)
no brittish bolts and fittings
fuel pumps (now facet)
fuel line fittings are different
windshield washer motor (not lucas)
brake calipers (original girlings are an option)
differential pump (now facet)
roll bar is taller
wheels not magnesium
non Lucas marked light lens
pedals say SC not AC
side badges do not say Powered by Ford
electrical wiring not wrapped in electrical tape and wire color not the same
instruments not original but look very similar
Old 02-07-2005, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Default Re: CSX4000 vs CSX3000

Quote:
Originally posted by rsimoes

What are the differences between the CSX4000 and CSX3000 Cobras?

Also, what is the "continuation series" cars? Are these the CSX3000's that were not completed in the 60's? or are these the CSX4000?
About 40 years and a historical provenance!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Ther were no UNCOMPLETED cars, just unused serial #'s and a plan. As pointed out the plan had several problems, the least of which there were no cars that they were attached to.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Difference

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 02-07-2005, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by computerworks

CSX3000 series is the original Cobra...big-block, coil spring.

CSX4000 series are the present day replicas of those made by Shelby Auto.

The term "continuation" relates to the CSX4000 series.

The term "completion" (no longer used) referred to the attempt by SAI to assign unused 3000 series CSX numbers to modern cars. Didn't work out well.
Ron,

You're being far too charitable. Didn't work out well? First, the threatened lawsuit from AC Cars (Brian Angliss), the California DMV investigation, the L.A. Times story.... not to mention the guys that paid $500,000 and thought they were getting a Cobra made in 1965 and assembled some 35 odd years later, instead of a new one made in Gardena and Torrance California.

Just so I get some perspective, what would be a catastrophe for Shelby?

Old 02-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Catastrophe for Shelby?

Waking up and finding out that his next "donor" body organ is coming from an owner of a FFR. Now, that is irony in its purest form.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 GT 350 #2264
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Metal

Catastrophe for Shelby?

Waking up and finding out that his next "donor" body organ is coming from an owner of a FFR. Now, that is irony in its purest form.
That's Cold!!
Old 02-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Metal

Catastrophe for Shelby?

That is good!
Old 02-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

differences ? 40 years and $250,000-$450,000 more ! with each number climbing each year ! bill
Old 02-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

40 years.

But both have historical provenance in its creator, SAI/CS. The history is different with the originals being more storied for sure. However, significantly part of the Continuation series provenance is in fact the originals themselves and the history of the its forefathers, the originals. The two generations are clearly related but separated by 40 years. The originals were there and responsible for making the Cobra a legend. This is what no doubt makes them special. However, the Continuation series continues the Cobra and helps preserve the legend by being here and in the public view and giving others today a chance of owning part of the legend by owning a genuine Cobra, while not original, a genuine Cobra nonetheless.

The Continuation series detractors, usually those who don't have one, tend to slant the picture to their liking.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

I happen to like Colt pistols,Single Army models especially.For those of you who dont go "heeled" these are the quintisential "Cowboy" 6 shooter ,the gun that won the west historians say ,and they feel in your hand like no other weapon ever made. These guns were first patented by Samuel Colt in 1872 and have been manufactured most of the years since then aside from 2 or 3 several year breaks in production.The Colt firearms company has been bought and sold several times in the last 40 or 50 years . The weapon itself has had some minor cosmetic and mechanical changes which nessitate a gun being referred to as a 1st,2nd,or 3rd generation Colt SAA .Even though to the untrained eye all generations of the pistol will look identical as will many cheaper and lessor made copies,and a few very well made and equally high quality copies.to a close observer there are several minor changes which dont affect the over all quality or characteristics of the fine weapon.Im thinking this products history bears a strong simularity to Shelbys cobra.The thing that puzzles me is that of all the gun shows I have attended,all the dealers I have known,all the collectors I have met ,and these are some of the most discriminating men you will meet as many of the guns will command as much or more than our cars on the market,not ONE time have I heard a 3rd generation {recent/current mfg}referred to as a replica.
A coke is still a coke without the cocaine, Harley davidson was still a harley even when it was made by folks who build bowling balls,and a shelby cobra is still a shelby cobra,not original,not identical ,but my MSO has guess Whos Signature in blue ink .There is no other logical way to look at this,I felt the same when I didnt own one and will feel the same after.I'm not saying it is better than any thing else,or will ever be worth anything,,but it is a shelby cobra .it blows my mind that some guys who own something elseo constantly dig at the man and his cars.
it especially suprises me that one of the moderators of this forum would say that it is a replica. Come to think of it I saw a replica of a vette the other day,,i think they called it a "C 6 " ?

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 02-24-2005, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Harley davidson was still a harley even when it was made by folks who build bowling balls,

You may think so, But I can tell you that WAS NOT the case. As matter of fact they took the brunt of all the problems that HD had at the time, even though they spent gobs of money on re-tooling that eventually helped HD after it was sold by AMF.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:39 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Tim,

Good analogy. If I might make a small analogous contribution: Few people would mistake a Ruger New Model Blackhawk for a Colt SAA. However, shooters looking for a stronger, safer, more dependable, less expensive and virtually maintenance-free version of the SAA likely would opt for a stainless Blackhawk-and one could even call it a ".45 Colt" if it were chambered in .45LC. The Colt has the name, the looks, the feel and the "clickety clickety" sound; the Ruger has the attributes listed above. Is one "better"? Depends on what you want to do with it. A collector might turn up his nose at the Ruger but I think it's safe to say that serious shooters burn a lot more powder through their Blackhawks than their Colt Single Actions. And then, of course, there are the Freedom Arms guns... So if it just has to say "Colt" on the barrel: Fine; the choice is simple. Just decide how much the name is worth and go ahead and impress everybody by paying as much for a gun as you might for a car-and then don't shoot it because it's too valuable! On the other hand, if you're less concerned with the name than you are with performance and "bang for the buck", there are some excellent alternatives.

Oh yeah...what I've NOT seen at gun shows is some guy jumping up and down going "Yeah, but this is a Colt!...Yeah, but this is a Colt...". We know, we know...

The Ruger and Freedom Arms detractors, usually those who don't shoot very much, tend to slant the picture to their liking.

Lowell
Old 02-24-2005, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2189
Not Ranked     

Evan:

Nice cars the CSX 4000 series, but there is nothing historical about them, pure and simple.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by REAL 1

40 years.

But both have historical provenance in its creator, SAI/CS. The history is different with the originals being more storied for sure. However, significantly part of the Continuation series provenance is in fact the originals themselves and the history of the its forefathers, the originals. The two generations are clearly related but separated by 40 years. The originals were there and responsible for making the Cobra a legend. This is what no doubt makes them special. However, the Continuation series continues the Cobra and helps preserve the legend by being here and in the public view and giving others today a chance of owning part of the legend by owning a genuine Cobra, while not original, a genuine Cobra nonetheless.

The Continuation series detractors, usually those who don't have one, tend to slant the picture to their liking.
I'm with Ford of France on this one!

While they are gorgeous and accurate, they play no pivotal role in determining Shelby's history, since that was established waaaaay back in the 60s. Those wishing to be included in the "ultra exclusive crew" of original Shelby owners only need to pony up the big bucks for a CSX2000 or CSX3000.

Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the CSX4000 Cobra for what it was meant for...... driving, not speculating.

Last edited by John McMahon; 02-24-2005 at 06:29 AM..
Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Cal,
He has been told that before REPEATEDLY.. Just doesn't want to hear it.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From the pictures, the HST cars appear to be built with a fiberglass cockpit tub. As far as suspension, does ANYBODY know?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Evan in all fairness you do have one of the nicer 4000 Shelbys and you are probably right that someday they will be the most desirable replicas. And who knows maybe in 40 years you will be able to get back your investment. I just don't think copies of originals even if made by the original manufacturer will appreciate like the REAL original thing.

RD