Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4788 with a Dawkins performance 490 ci iron genesis block hydrualic roller
Not Ranked     
Default Need advice on changing the head gaskets on my 427

Okay, the cobra is finally registered and now it has coolant coming out of a side pipe. I have pulled the intake and taken the nuts off the head studs but can not get the the heads off the motor - the foot boxes are in the way. I have tried to take the nuts off the motor mounts and jack up the motor bu the scatter shield hits the firewall before I can get enough clearance. Will disconnecting the tranny from the motor and then jacking the motor up give me enough clearance? It is in a csx 4000 Shelby. I REALLY don't want to have to pull the motor out of the car. Thanks.
John(;-)
Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

It seems that the easiest way is to remove the studs with head in place and then remove the head. Use two nuts on the studs and take them out.Good luck.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANMADD View Post
It seems that the easiest way is to remove the studs with head in place and then remove the head. Use two nuts on the studs and take them out.Good luck.
Exactly what I was going to say. That's how I do it.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have to do that on my ERA as well, double nut the head studs and pull 'em, then the head gets 'just enough' clearance.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4788 with a Dawkins performance 490 ci iron genesis block hydrualic roller
Not Ranked     
Default Not sure if there is enough stud exposed

Thanks guys. I will go out to the garage and see if I can get two nuts on the lower studs. I am just not sure that I have enough clearance and thread exposed. I'll keep everyone updated.
John(;-)
Old 04-12-2008, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default double nutting worked.

Even though I had to use a jam nut and one of the arp nuts, It was still a bear to get them off. I ended up taking the top ones off, jack, rotating the motor and wrestling the heads off and then pulling the bottom studs once I had clearance. I have new ARP BOLTS coming from Summit and should be here monday. Next Saturday will be putting it back together day. Wish me luck.
John(;-)
Old 07-04-2008, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

that is why we used head bolts on the last ERA we did. --studs are great but in these cars foot boxes are a bummer.

I have a feeling it is more than a head gasket. (i hope it s not).
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 07-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Heads studs on an FE

last month I spend about 5 hours removing the studs on one head of a 427 in a Unique. Double nut got all but three of the studs. I wedged the head up and used channel locks to remove two of the studs before I could get the head off.
What a pain

Pulled the motor and took it to Keith Craft, I let him remove the other head
Dwight
Old 07-04-2008, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default In the future,

Guys in the future, there are a couple of choices for removing the studs. They make a socket that pinches the top of the stud and removes it. You can also get the bottom ones with this socket. Snap-on and Matco sell them. If you can't get the stud remover from them, you can lift the head in the car, put a 2X4 between the head and block. Get a new pair of vise grips and remove them that way. It's not pretty but works. Make sure they don't slip on the stud. If you are worried about damage to the studs, get new studs from ARP. The new ones on some applications have allen head tops for installing. I have done this twice with the motor in the car. I thought that the head gaskets where on wrong and wanted to check them. They where right. Rick L.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
last month I spend about 5 hours removing the studs on one head of a 427 in a Unique. Double nut got all but three of the studs. I wedged the head up and used channel locks to remove two of the studs before I could get the head off.
What a pain

Pulled the motor and took it to Keith Craft, I let him remove the other head
Dwight
What happened >?
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 07-05-2008, 04:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile more

Keith is going to install a stroker kit and do his magic. We should end up with 482 plus cubes and 625 - 650 HP. We should get the motor back late July.

Dwight
Old 07-05-2008, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum427
Not Ranked     

I have a spf 427 what I did was javk the motor up after I cut motor supports loose shift motor as far as you can, then put a brick or whatever you can get under the motor support on the head your going to take off then let the motor down this will twist the motor up enought for you to get to the bottom studs worked for me, good luck
Old 07-06-2008, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default guess who is getting a whole new motor :)/ :( ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
that is why we used head bolts on the last ERA we did. --studs are great but in these cars foot boxes are a bummer.

I have a feeling it is more than a head gasket. (i hope it s not).
Got it all together - took it to the gas station to fill it, got back in, large cloud of steam out of the same (driver's side) side pipe. Got it home - parked it, let it cool, restarted it - coolant coming out of the side pipe. Got help from a friend getting it out. # 7 had been chamfered into he water jacket. I could re-sleeve it, but I would rather start fresh. It took more than a month to get the genesis block from the supplier and I am still waiting for the rods, crank and pistons because another supplier sent the wrong ones and then had new ones made up after they were told to wait until we had the block in our hands because too many things had been screwed up already. I am going to have a large bore short stroke hydraulic roller 490 over square fe with a second generation genesis block. I don't EVER want to have to take this motor out of my cobra. I also got a letter from dmv telling me that they were going to cancel my registration (which is an sb100) because I had not insured the car. Luckily a "statment of fact" that the car is parked and not on a public road has made it so that it is just non-op for now. Wish me luck.
John(;-)
P.S. Just to give you an idea of my car karma, my 08 shelby gt mustang got bit on the nose by a tire (>$2,000 damage) whhile this was all going on and is in the body shop.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Why not get a shelby block for a Shelby car?

John I sent you info a couple of months ago about putting a shelby block in your car. The other thing is to take that block and send it out for a sleeve job to Gessford. Both KCR and Barry R. from Survivialmotor sports have stoker kits complete crank, rods, bearing, pistons, and balance of the assembly for $2,400.00 dollars. This is a cast crank but have found out that there is a steel crank with a 4.375 stroker for $700.00 just needs final polish and finish to balance for your assembly. Rick L.