21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2016, 04:56 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

After a few drinks at parties my sister's husband has been known to tell relatives or complete strangers that ... he has worked as a spy for the government, ... is a member of the mafia, ... that he and his brothers invented fanasty football, ... he also likes giving out free medical advice on treating injuries and prescription pain killers ... I should ask him if he has ever owned a Cobra.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
But totaled 427s are pretty much all tracked in the registry so what car is it?

I call shenanigans!
My point was both you and Ned have tied the search to a fatality.

I have no idea if the story told to the OP is true.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Generally, if the Cobra is totaled, the driver is pretty much toast as well. Even if he wasn't, there is no white 427 Cobra missing from the production run.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO3058, Roush 427SR-TW
Not Ranked     

He said the car was totaled but he did not mention what happened to the driver. I will try to get additional details on Monday.

Mike
Old 01-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I have heard it all at car shows in the past and part of why I rarely go anymore. Mainly from guys trying to impress their friends, girlfriend whatever...

"Yeah, I used to own and original but wrecked it"...Really? What number was it?... "I don't remember"

"I used to test drive them for Shelby all the time"...Really? So who were they guys you ran with?... "I don't remember, a long time ago"

"I bought an original and got rid of it because it was unreliable and couldn't find anybody to work on it"...Really? But you said you bought it in LA..

"Shelby was just a marketing figure head for Ford and really didn't have much to do with building them"...Really? I did not know that. Thanks though.

The list goes on and on. That's why we have Gate Keepers like Ned around.
BigGuy and 120mm like this.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:32 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Little known fact: Shelby built over 27,000 Cobras in the sixties. Despite that not jiving with records, it MUST be true otherwise how could every car show spectator say he "owned an original!"

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-24-2016, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I think there's some sort of mental defect that is predominant in a number of car show spectators. The wanna be - but don't know crap defect. Corvette owners see it too. "Yeah, back in 1965 my Dad bought a brand new split window coupe with a 454 in it. It was one of them with a metal body too - none of that cheap fiberglass."
BigGuy and joyridin' like this.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dan,

In some cases that applies to painters too. A few years ago I stopped at a local body and paint shop to look at a Cobra I saw there and see if it was from around here. Their chief painter, being an arrogant a** Ho** informed me he hated those damn fiberglass cars and normally would only work on Corvettes and do custom paint jobs. I asked him what the Corvette bodies were made of and he informed me that any idiot knew they were good old American steel.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-24-2016, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Dan,

In some cases that applies to painters too. A few years ago I stopped at a local body and paint shop to look at a Cobra I saw there and see if it was from around here. Their chief painter, being an arrogant a** Ho** informed me he hated those damn fiberglass cars and normally would only work on Corvettes and do custom paint jobs. I asked him what the Corvette bodies were made of and he informed me that any idiot knew they were good old American steel.

Ron
Ron - probably an older guy used to painting lacquer for years who now sprays urethane still using a dust cartridge respirator. I don't think I would be going to him for a paint quote in the future.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO3058, Roush 427SR-TW
Not Ranked     

I just spoke to him and he said it was not Frontier Ford. But it was in the Buffalo area. I mentioned Al Maroone Ford and that name did not sound familiar but Transit Road did. He did say he bought the car fall of 1968. He said he paid $7200 for it and put $4k down. He traded the car in January 1969. He said the car was totaled the day he traded it in. He was not sure if it was a salesman or somebody who worked at the dealership who was driving. The driver did not get killed but was hurt pretty bad. He said the damage was on the drivers side of car and looked like it slid into a pole. He saw the car damaged at the salvage yard.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Any chance this may be it: SAAC-32 Trip Report On further read, probably not but strange to have two totalled in the Buffalo area around the same time.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264

Last edited by HealeyRick; 01-25-2016 at 09:01 AM..
Old 01-25-2016, 09:18 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
Any chance this may be it: SAAC-32 Trip Report On further read, probably not but strange to have two totalled in the Buffalo area around the same time.
3326 was totaled and was the only 427 wrecked in Buffalo.

The posting regarding the sale of 3326 is partly correct. I know because I was involved in the purchase of the wreck. There were no "T-Bird" parts involved in the sale and no title as New York did not have titles on cars until the 1973 model year. Paul Nichter was personally known to me for several years previous and he did in fact change his story and indeed did not personally sign the bill of sale as he was out of town, but had his secretary, who held his power of attorney and with his instruction, sign the BOS.

3326 is a can of worm and there are several parties to the number who claim different versions of the chain of ownership. I have NO claim to 3326 at this point and frankly after having gotten poorly veiled threats from one of the alleged owners want nothing to do with the current/past/wannabe/couldabeen owner(s).

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/