S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

The picture of CSX 3198 with Shelby was taken at Unique's open house many years ago before they went bankrupt. Unique was right down the street from Sam Pack and he took CSX 3198 and several other cars over for the show. Today Sam Pack's 427 (CSX 3198) and 289 (CSX 2109) Dragon Snakes reside in his museum with the 289 sitting behind the 427. CSX 3279 (Green Cobra) is sitting behind the 289 Dragon Snake.

Check out Sam Pack's museum (Cobra section) at the following link as there are a bunch of pics of the cars and information.

http://www.packautomotivemuseum.com/cobra.html

Last edited by gsharapa; 06-13-2010 at 07:08 AM..
Old 06-14-2010, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Corvette INFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce View Post
any idea where the cobra Killin' Vette is today?
As I stated in the story , it was repossessed by the Bank when I went into the Service because I could not keep up the payments on a privates pay of $67.20 a month. Also prior to the Bank repo the motor was taken out. Any Vet with a 350HP /327 could be duplicated to perform the same. No matter what make or manufacturer , in the right hands with enough patience and ability , any car can be made made competitive. Back in those days we did not have any computers to tell us what was not working right , it was up to the driver to evaluate the run and for the crew chief to listen to the run and also combined that with the input from the driver. Now a days you can put a monkey behind the wheel and the computer will give out all the information all the monkey need do is drive straight. Now they have the computers , super stick-TRACTION COMPOUND on the track , auto-shifting "Standard Transmissions" , and high octane racing gas , ALL OF WITCH WE DID NOT HAVE.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Chevrolet , Ford , not much different JMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
I love the story, even though a POS chebbie won!!
My mistake when I had the chance was to buy CSX2109 the 289 Cobra that was owned by Larry McALlister at the time. It was for sale for $3,000.00 with the trailer , spare motor and trans , Weber's , duel quads , single quad , and other assorted rear end parts. I could not get the Bank financing on that car because the Banks did not loan money for race cars.
After my time working with the GT-350 Snoopy I was sure that the 289 configured in that car would not be as strong as the 327 Chevy. Both the Gt-350 and the Cobra especially were much lighter cars but back then it was both a blessing and a hindrance. Making power from a small block Chevy was easer then from the 289. Today the new Mustang 6 banger is making 305 HP by comparison to the GT-350's 289 all decked out from Shelby was only making 306HP. In the right hand a Brigs & Stratton can be made to go like hell. What the Corvette had in extra HP it lost in the weight break against the 2,000 + Cobra. Jenkins was the master at getting 2HP per CI out of the Chevy and that was not possible at that time with the design of the 289. The later Ford 350 proved much better design. I made a lot of money street racing against the "Feared Street Hemi". Boy could they suck a lot of air into those 2 X 4bls and make a lot of noise , but they had a front row seat to my back bumper. Even the 289 Hi-Pro Standard Mustangs could beat them. But again in the hand of Jerry Stall and Sox and Martin they could fly. And Jenkins was right with them with his 350 / 327 Nova. The thing about the 350 Hp motor was the Hydro Lifters RED LINED AT 6,000 RPM. By changing the design of the lifter innards you could go up to 7,500 .
Old 06-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Undefeated, I really did like the story bud. I'm just busting your knards on the chebbie thing!

Steve
Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Undefeated, I really did like the story bud. I'm just busting your knards on the chebbie thing!

Steve
I don't have any problem with anyone who has "Manufactures Preference or Loyalty" . Most everyone has a preference usually based on how any particular Brand has treated them. The only dislike I have with any American Brand car is with Chrysler Corp. . Too "Tinny Sounding with an AIR STARTER FOR A STARTER MOTOR AND BAD SHIFTING PATERN FOR A FOUR SPEED". I even like the A.M.C. brand before Chrysler took it over. "I THINK I JUST SAID I LIKED A RAMBLER ? AT LEAST THE 62 RAMBLER HAD "RECLINING SEATS" NICE FOR THE DRIVE-IN .
Old 04-12-2011, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: circuit city, 351w,500+ hp
Not Ranked     

has anybody heard anything about gus zuidema lately? i met him back in the late 70's at his shop called "Competition Automotive" in worcester,ma. while i was working at the local vw/porsche/audi dealer. his brother gary worked there with me. he sure had a wealth of knowledge on FE's. i even got a ride in a road race Cobra he worked on. At the end of 1980 he closed his shop in worcester and moved it to his home town of No. Brookfield and i moved to arizona. have always wondered what went on after i left.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Zuidema passed away a few years ago. Harr Ford closed its doors recently too, though the Harr Motor Group still sells Toyotas and Chryslers in the Worcester (pronounced 'Wooster' for all the non-locals) area.

Steve
Old 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: circuit city, 351w,500+ hp
Not Ranked     

VRM thanx. we were not great friends but he was a great guy-always smiling and great attitude. i sure miss him. mike
Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE UNDEFEATED View Post
"I THINK I JUST SAID I LIKED A RAMBLER ? AT LEAST THE 62 RAMBLER HAD "RECLINING SEATS" NICE FOR THE DRIVE-IN .
The '63s did too, but they never "worked" for me in high school. I guess they were a dead giveaway to the chicks who weren't already interested in "participating".

EDIT- I just read the rest of this thread. My apologies for an unruly comment in an otherwise mature and civil discussion on Cobra history and lore.

Last edited by crASH; 04-20-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Old 04-29-2011, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmpierce View Post
has anybody heard anything about gus zuidema lately? i met him back in the late 70's at his shop called "Competition Automotive" in worcester,ma. while i was working at the local vw/porsche/audi dealer. his brother gary worked there with me. he sure had a wealth of knowledge on FE's. i even got a ride in a road race Cobra he worked on. At the end of 1980 he closed his shop in worcester and moved it to his home town of No. Brookfield and i moved to arizona. have always wondered what went on after i left.
Damm I lived at his shop when he did some work on my old 427 Cobra 1977.. ohhhh the story's that came out of that place!!

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

THE UNDEFEATED, You wrote "I was part of the pit crew at the 1966 Spring Nationals at the second years competition at "Thunder Valley" better known then as Bristol Drag Way in Tennessee. I was with the D/Sp GT-350 "Snoopy" owned by Walter and Robert Walls from Worcester , Ma."

My father was Snooky (Walter). I have a picture that was taken at the 66 Nationals. A few weeks ago we went to the Orange Drag reunion. Both of Gus's brothers were there as well. It would be great if you can make next years event.
Attached Images

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     
Default "El Cid" Vintage photo

I was off to the upholstery shop to get some sewing done and spotted this picture on the wall. The shop owner is an old drag racer pal of Hans and gave me the framed picture when I told him I know the current owner (Lynn Park). Not sure of what racetrack this was shot at......
Attached Images

1985 CCX likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance 1022
Not Ranked     

I grew up in Worcester not far from Harr Ford. I remember the Dragonsnake being visible in one of their garages. If memory serves me right Gus Zemida was associated with the car.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I might have the engine to CSX3196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaron View Post
I owned 3196 for several years, and have pictures that you may want to document its restoration. Also, if you still own 3196 and want to sell it, I'd like to talk to you

I recently purchased a 1966 Cobra 427 motor that appears to be from CSX3196. Let me know if anyone wants to discuss it. I'll probably end up selling it, but would prefer to align it to the original car.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumaloSisTruck View Post
I recently purchased a 1966 Cobra 427 motor that appears to be from CSX3196. Let me know if anyone wants to discuss it. I'll probably end up selling it, but would prefer to align it to the original car.
Looks like you are trying to link the motor to this car?
there is another tread on this.
Sound like odds are your block is a boat block.
Need to post Block ID#
Old 03-04-2022, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumaloSisTruck View Post
Your topic about the engine pretty much proves that it was not as you claim. The other topic has the details but it is most likely a boat engine.

PS. The original car has its original engine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: