21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2006, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary frame, Midstates kevlar body, Aluminum Shelby 427, G-force T-5
Not Ranked     

I guess I can look back to around 1976 as the year the seed was planted, and some of my "heroes" were adopted. The country was celebrating the Bicentennial, the Steelers were starting their dynasty and KISS released one of the all time great rock albums, Destroyer. I wasnt quite a teenager, when my cousin and I stayed up later than usual to watch the Gumball Rally, on an old console tv that was able to pick up 3 channels on a good night from an antennae wired 2 miles "on the hill". He was dedicated to Bowties and I was a Blue Oval Fanatic. Didnt have a clue exactly what a Cobra was then, but I thought it was awesome. Fast forward 6 years, and I had to write a research paper for my final grade in English my senior year in high school. I was initially going to do the paper on my first automotive love, Mustangs. But as I got deeper into the history of the 'stang, whose name should appear as the one who gave the Mustang its bite, but Shelby. In one of the books I purchased for research material, it not only covered Shelbys involvement w/ the 'Stang, but the Cobras as well. It even made mention of the Cobra in Gumball Rally, and then it dawned on me, that was the car I was so enthralled with years earlier. I really liked the sharp, aggressive lines of the Mustang, but loved the muscular shape of the Cobra. Read all about the history of Shelby and his later involment in the Ford Racing Program. So the paper went from History of the Mustang, to Carroll Shelby: The Man and His Machines. Got an A- and graduated. It seemed like the price for an original just exceeded what I could afford. Started on my first replica in 1990, completed in 1996. Sold in 1999, it was too refined and comfortable. Bought a Vette, drove it for a couple of years. Sold it and started on another replica, I guess it is hard to get the venom out of your blood. Shelby was my hero in the automotive arena.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4141
Not Ranked     

I was first introduced to Carroll Shelby and his outragous Cobra, listening to one of my friends Bill Cosby albums playing the 200 MPH routine. It wasn't too long after, that I identified the car in real life to the album. Everybody knew as a kid, that the Cobra was the fastest car around. Though growing up in Honolulu, all we had was the TV or car magazines to gawk at.

It was my dream to own one till the prices soared out of range, and decided to build or own a decent kit back in 1975. You could count the manufacturers on one hand, and was going to power it with a BB Chevy and 4spd., or a Gale Banks twin turbo'd Chevy small block. Needless to say, the years passed by, grew a little more smarter and wiser hopefully, and decided to keep the drive train vintage with some add ons.

Too many years passed by, and grew annoyed as to paying too much time at work, and not enough time away from work. I was finally ready to order my Cobra in 1997, which I narrowed down to 3-choices not in any particular order (Contemporary, ERA, and Superformance), when I began to hear word that Carroll was going to build a continuation series based off the original CSX3000 series. It took me over 2-years later gathering all of my overtime from work, along with an equity line, and the dream became a reality. Another 2-years later due to a few changes, the car was delivered to me in 2001 at the Monterey Historics, and I have loved this car every day since. It was a pleasure to meet Carroll in person the day I took its delivery, and have nothing but a lot of respect for a man that honestly changed the way we all feel about those very quick cars he had his hand in during the 60's. Without Carroll and his dream, what would honestly be our favorite hobby or past time? To say "Thank-You" is not enough, but to honor and pay tribute is just one small step in the right direction.

Bill Kesner
CSX4141

Last edited by Bill Kesner; 07-01-2006 at 09:24 PM..
Old 07-02-2006, 12:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dear Mr. Shelby:

I bought a 427 Cobra in March of 1969. It was all about the car. The legend, such as it was at that time, and the racing history had nothing to do with it. If it had been a tool, it would have been a hammer. It was as direct and unsubtle as a car could possibly be. It was just what I wanted.

Now, I would like to thank you for your part in its creation. Thank you for getting AC Bristol to provide the body and chassis. Thank you for failing to convince General Motors to provide engines and transmissions. Thank you for talking Ford into doing it. Thank you for getting Ford to provide engineering and funding for the program. Thank you for hiring people like Brock to build the cars and Miles to drive them. Thank you for failing to build enough competition cars to get them homolgated for racing, thus providing the general public with about 50 pretty cool cars that would eventually form the basis of the legend. And finally, assuming you actually did this one yourself, thank you for giving it a great name.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

To Bill K and Prof Fate, these are the best reasons to have these cars, for the pure joy of what it is, not the legend or name on the MSO/title. These cars unique unto themselves and always will be, no matter who manufactures them.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

What therapy! When I'm a bit down or need a little spark in life, it's sitting right in my gararge, all by itself... like an infrequent mistress on a mystic evening.
The first Cobra I saw, was a slot car in Abilene, Texas in 1969. It was purple and I could'nt take my eyes off of it. I still can't!

Thanks Carroll...

Chris
Old 07-17-2006, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1056, small block Ford
Not Ranked     

Mr. Shelby,

I saw my first Cobra at the Lake Garnet, KS race in 1963. I couldn't believe how fast those cars were coming across the dam. The team drivers came in 2nd and 3rd (Ken Miles) while a guy named Thompson beat them on his own. I was hooked. Then in 65 or 66 I got a two block ride in a TWA pilot's car down on Truman Road in Kansas City. I was double hooked. I intended to buy one when I got home from the Army but a wife and children soon put my dream behind me. It wasn't until I was 55 that I was able to finally realize the dream, if only in the presence of a replica in my shop. My thanks to you for one of the great pleasures in my life.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Mr Shelby
I followed the Cobra story and success's in the 60's. I never saw a Cobra in person until a summer evening in '66. From that night on I wanted one. Now forty years later my dream has been realized though only in a replica.

Thank you for introducing/producing one of the automotive worlds greatest automobiles.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR in the near future/ Vintage NOS 66' X block 427 S.O., Top Loader, 8.8 IRS rear
Not Ranked     

Well my obsession with ford started w/ my dad buying my mother a Torino GT w/ a 289, Black w/ red pin stripes on the side. That huge gas cap my mother allowed me to take off every time we got gas went SSSSSSSSS every time I twisted opened.

Then to bring up to date. I bought a 96 conv. Gt mustang forest metallic w/ saddle top and interior. I was 29 when my fiance' and I went down to Atlanta to visit my grand parent, It was a Hot summer day when I was @ the gas pump when I heard this thunder coming form behind me, I turned,,, Looking for this immense monster.

My focal point was looking for a vehicle @ least 4-5 ft in stance, So that means I turned and looked right over the top of the cobra and rushed me out when I had to look lower. The rumble came to halt,, man driving what now was the reason my boxers were in a bunch.

See I was driving my affordable dream car, (Stang GT) He was driving my un-affordable dream car. I did my research to find @ that time, the, (cobra) was starting to touch a $250k. I was hurt, Then I found out he was building them again, I was hurt twice, $70k, Then the Repli-car industry has allowed me to tame the serpent that is now in reach.

I'm gathering parts, I just purchased a vintage 1966 VIRGIN NOS 427 SIDEOILER CAST CODE X BLOCK! I'm on my way, THANX CARROLL FOR THE DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2006, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2457, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripes,460FR, SCJA, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

My first ride in a Cobra was in 1969 in a friend's 289. Never forgot that quick ride through Manattan Beach and dowm the freeway. In two weeks I take delivery of SP2457. Having had a wide assortment of unusual cars during my life, this is the one I look forward to more than anything. Thanks to Carroll Shelby for creating such an imaginative vehicle (and thanks to Superformance for making the dream posssible).
Old 10-10-2006, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Growing up in Chicago in the 60s, I saw my first Cobra and Shelby Mustangs at Jack Loftus Ford in Hinsdale, Illinois. Being in high school and from a Ford family they were the ultimate performance cars for this teenage and a dream that someday would come true. Seeing the cars at the drag strips and ElKart Lake are memories to cherish! Loved Fords/Shelbys so much I ended up working for a couple of Ford dealers in college and then Ford Motor Company for 28 years now. Over those years I have had many performance Fords including Cobras, GT40, Boss 9/302s Pantera etc but my heart has always been with the Cobra and GT350 Mustang. Had the opportunity to meet Carroll many times over the years including a few signatures on some of my cars. What a legacy this man has created by following his dreams and giving so many of us the opportunity to experience a small part of his visions. For me it was a push towards a career in the auto industry and to pursue the many cars I have had over the years. Thanks Carroll for following your dreams!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

I still have the picture I shot of a maroon 289 Cobra at the NY Auto Show in '64. To my mind, it was the best combination of style, size, and appearance anywhere. In the summer of '65 I was treated to a ride in a 2521, a BRG example of the marque. That experience confirmed that the Cobra wasn't just about looks. Being in high school at the time, the dream was there but it had to wait.

Ten months after graduating from college, I scraped together $5500 and bought 2306. That was April '72. There have been 6 other Cobras and three GT350's in my garage since, but 2306 never fails to put a huge smile on my face. And that's what it's all about. You created a phenomenon.

Carroll, I consider the occasional opportunities to spend time with you icing on the Cobra cake. You are a true individual, the likes of which will likely not be seen again any time soon, if at all. I congratulate you on your successes and wish you many more.

Ned Scudder
Old 10-11-2006, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     

Its one of those real things not a cookie cut.As a kid in utah there was not much to look at in the way of neat cars.When I was 19 I had a 65 Mustang 2+2 hipo 289.Not only did it go fast it stopped fast(POOR CAR took alot)The car was a direct influance of Carrol Shelby.Phyllis was my girl friends name,I really think I would rather have the car than the girl. The car is in the south part Salt Lake the last time I heard.Thanks for the dreams Carroll
Old 10-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

To All:

I had seen Cobras from High School (Grad 1965) College and military. It was in1992 that I walked by a garage in Walnut Creek, Ca. and the owner had his beautiful Shell Valley parked out front that I was really snake bit. After reviewing his car, he mentioned that there was another Cobra in the back of the garage he was storing for a friend that had relocated to Thailand ---- it was mostly completed and it was for sale. Bought it, finished it, loved it and now after selling the SV, built a Unique, bought and sold SPF343 and currently drive CSX 4264. I also have the FFR Daytona in the garage. Carroll Shelby has signed the dashboard on both of my cars and the cars have been a bright spot in my life.

On the personal side my wife of 23 years passed away tragically in 2003, Shelby American donated $500 in her memory to the American Cancer Society. This display of sympathy was over the top and I will forever be a fan of the cars, the man and the company.

This picture was at Sears Point in 2004.

Tony R.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

When I was a junior in high school, I had a poster of the David Kimble 427 cutaway. In 1981, other guys wanted Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, BMW M1's, etc. All I ever wanted was a Cobra.
The lines of the car are just beautiful. But the idea of stuffing a big motor into a small, low, wide car is genius in its simplicity. There's no replacement for displacement. And to have a fellow Texan take on the world and win on racing's biggest stage is greatness. There's also the rags to riches chicken farmer aspect to the story, but my interest lies is in the racing portion.
Growing up, my father had Jaguars, Audis, etc. - no interest. That Cobra was still on my mind. I'd often seen Superformance ads in the back of Car and Driver and the like, but had never investigated.
My father passed away last December. He kept saving his retirement because one day, he was going to get a little covertible hot rod as a weekend car. He never did. After his estate was settled, I took some of the proceeds and bought SPF 867, of which I'm enormously proud. A tiny vial of my Dad's ashes ride in the glove box. Carroll Shelby's autograph is on the box.
Carroll, thank you for staying involved and following your true love and passion. I remember the days of the Chrysler Shelby GLH! Then the Viper and of course the continued Mustang lineage. There has never been nor will never will be someone who's influenced racing in the country the way you have.
I'm proud to describe the car and the story of the original when someone asks, "Cool car, what is that?" Then I do tell them about the chicken farmer from Texas.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM Ford 351w
Not Ranked     
Talking tribute to the Man

I can remember when my friend and I used to sit in his parents basement after school and build plastic car models, until my mom, called his mom and said, send the kid home, it's getting dark. I can remember turning sixteen and just waiting to get my drivers license so I could drive a car. That meant now we could go to the drag races, the stock car races, and especially the car show in Denver, Co.
I think that's where I saw a Cobra. Man that was the car for me. Only problem was I didn't have a job, and I was still in high school and my dad wouldn't let me own a car anyway. But I thought someday I might get the opportunity to own one. And now maybe that wish will come true soon. I just want to thank Mr. Shelby for making a car, that to this day, still makes people look when one drives by. I'm sure all you dreamers out there had the same wish as I did once.

Ron
Old 12-08-2006, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 done by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

My thanks for the existence of Carroll Shelby..

As I write this I am looking at a framed,autographed photo of the man himself standing next to one of his creations, presented to me by my wife. My venture began in the mid 80's looking for a GT500 I could afford. Of course not realizing the 35 to 50 G's needed at that time would turn into a bunch more today, I turned my attention to the replicas I was hearing about. That led me to purchasing a 63 1/2 Galaxy with a 427 for a super price that was originally a 390 car. Of course I bought it for the motor. The next purchase was a 1987 Shelby American World Registry that began for me a great experience researching the most amazing automobile ever created. Four years ago,upon retirement, I took my punch list of specs to Unique in Gadsden and finally fulfilled my dream with an amazing 427 S/C replica. Thank You Carroll Shelby can not even come close to my gratitude for your existence.
I'm sure on the day God said, "Let there be speed". Carroll Shelby was born.

Lou
Old 12-08-2006, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2450, Roush 342RE
Not Ranked     
Default Blame Dan Gurney

I've been holding off on sending my first post I won't have my Superformance until March '07, however, I couldn't resist jumping into this thread since Carroll Shelby holds a warm place in my life's memories.

Waaaay back when Riverside was an operational road course in CA, I was still racing. During an off weekend, we went to see the "Pro Racers" run the course. That weekend, Dan Gurney was racing a Cobra and kicked everyones butt.

Every time that car passed us, the sound was as pleasurable as my first Snickers Blizzard.

I remember a big guy with a big Texan hat walking around the Cobra pits who seemed to be running the show. That was the man!

Since that time (Around '73, I think) I've hankered and blabbered about someday getting my favorite car, the Cobra. Finally, my wife said, "For gosh sakes (She doesn't swear) you just passed 72, get that durn Cobra!"

We take delivery in March.

For a car that has remained tops in the public eye for so long requires its mentor to have vision, perserverance and guts. Mr Shelby fits the bill. Just like his creation, he is one-of-a-kind.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Carroll Shelby, many thanks to you for a 26 year journey that culminated in building a replica of one of the most recognized vehicles of the 20th century.

I didn't start out thinking of any of Mr. Shelby's creations. It wasn't until I was ready to go to college that I needed a car to drive in and purchased my brothers 1965 Mustang. That same year, a friend of mine asked me if I was going to try and convert it to a "Cobra". I had no clue what he was referring to. He then invited me along to a car show. I was in awe of what a GT350 looked like in full race trim (back in 1977 I believe). I was hooked into the Shelby magic from that point on. Oddly, since I owned a Mustang, I actually thought the 427S/C cars in the show were just relics and I guess back then, kit cars were not very plentiful yet. I figured these would simply remain vintage race cars, never to be seen in the hands of the everyday Joe and hey, how much could their street verions be worth anyway! I basically ignored them not knowing what my future would hold.

About a year later, I spent everything I had to try to make my Mustang a race car. Sure, it looked like crap with a black primer hood, unpainted front GT350 air dam, some BFG CompTA's on some American Racing "Star" rims. But it was a blast on the autocross! Around 1985, I got rid of the car due to needing a more reliable and gas friendly vehicle. For about 12 years, I completely forgot about my brief encounter with the Shelby magic. Then in 1997, I was ready to buy a new car and on the magazine rack was a few Kit Car magazines. My eye caught the lines of a 427 S/C. I was thinking "there are a LOT of companies making these things" and with modern 90's cars looking pretty much all the same, the Cobra lines were more powerful and sensual than what I remembered the first time I saw the real things in that show back in 1977 but the big surprise was how inexpensive it was to get into one of these kits or a Superformance, relative to the now over $100K CSX's.

I spent the next 8 years methodically thinking of a way to get this vehcile and the more I explored, the more I realized I wanted to build one myself.

Today, I can proudly say that I am now a "driver" of a car that was inspired by one of the most famous automotive icons of our time. I just can't get enough of driving this beast around the neighborhood and giving rides to those that have become comatose in their sedate, politically correct, and uninspiring vehicles. You want to talk about a "wake up call", this car does it like nothing else I've driven or rode in.

Some people love Carrol Shelby, some people completely despise him. But nobody can argue that he built one helluva kick-ass car in 1965.

And all he wanted to do was just build race cars... I think he did a pretty good job.

P.S.: my youngest daughter is Shelby. I thought you'd enjoy knowning this.

Last edited by 289fia_cobra; 12-25-2006 at 09:22 AM..
Old 12-25-2006, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Sideoiler /shadetree
Not Ranked     
Wink NEVER too old

I've worked as a Ford dealer tech since high school ( '66 ) and was very much a "gear head". In '67 I worked in Chicago and watched an "old man" that owned a dry cleaning business drive/park his 427 Cobra to his business and parked it in front. I saw him almost every day in that car in nice weather. I always wondered why an old man would have a car like that. I thought,at the time,that it was a "young man's" car. As time went by I tried to buy a '67 GT 500 and was told that I was not "old" enough! Finally in '87 I bought my first Shelby! A '68 GT 350 convertible. I've raced a few different cars w/427 Ford side oiler engines and always remembered that "old man" that had the first 427 Ford . I've enjoyed following Carroll's career and life. He proves that you are never too "old" to chase your dreams and accomplish your personal goals. He has shown that his personal success can be shared with others with his Heart Fund progams. Never let the age of your body affect your mind and enthusiasm for life. I took my Grandson to a SAAC meet to enjoy the cars and people and he wandered too close to one of the 427 Cobras and bumped into Carroll himself! Carroll just gave him a big smile and a pat on his head and asked if was having fun....I went to the Ford 100th celebration and watched as Carroll came out to do a TV interview. It was totally silent as people were in awe of his presence. I finally asked in a loud/polite voice " How's 'ol Carroll doing? He looked to be relieved that somebody broke the silence and smiled and laughed and replied " 'Ol Carroll is doing fine". He looked me straight in the eye and winked as if to say"thanks for asking" . No problem Carroll, you have taught me much and have never met me. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2006, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When did I see my first Cobra? It was 1966 in the show room of a Ford dealership at 7 Corners Virginia, I was buying a 1966 Ford Fairlain GT but that Cobra has been my automotive fantasy from then till now. My first Cobra, manufactured by Superformance was delivered 4 days ago. It's slightly used at 1700 miles but WOW what a Christmas gift.
I had the good furtune to meet Mr. Shelby at an air show in Oshkosh Wisconsin Thursday August 25, 2005. I listened to his presentation about the ups and downs his career and his life and the new Ford Mustang at 500HP right out of the box. This is a man of great pride, stature and values. He deserves the respect of automible enthusiast from around the world including Enzo Ferrari. God bless Carroll Shelby, what a guy!