17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

That's B&N for you....no books allowed over $50. Why? So much for a free market (not that I'm at all bitter of course :-)
Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Trevor, are you saying that B & N won't sell it online at all due to the price? I've searched all my "usual sources", even including eBay, and no one seems to be discounting at all. I imagine as a man trying to make a living selling books you have a different perspective, but $150 plus shipping is a hell of a lot of money (at least to me) for what appears to be a book of photos. I paid a lot more for my copy of "Daytona Cobra Coupes", among others in my library, but for me at least the text needs to help justify the price.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

When I was getting ready to leave SAAC-33, I went thru the garage and noticed the publisher had a table in the garage to sell the book. I thought the book was going to be mostly pictures, but it had plenty of text.

I know what I'm asking for this Christmas...

They had 2 versions of the book at the table. The standard for $150. And $325 for a collector edition, which had a page with some signatures, plus additional pages with rare photos by Dave Friedman. There are 250 of the collector edition and apparently over 110 were sold between SAAC-33 and Monterey this weekend. I got a catalog and it mentioned there was another version with only 33 copies and no price...
Old 08-18-2008, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I got mine at Laguna & canceled my order at B&N since shipment was (fortunately) delayed. Both Pete Brock and Bob Bondurant were there to sign them. They had the Publishers Edition too, but it was a little rich for me.

I got to spend a little time with Pete and his wife, Gayle, too!

Best Day Ever!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Looked briefly at the book...impressed

Saw the book at Monterey. Very expensive looking, high quality printing. Will help a lot guide those who want to make their replica Cobra look "period"

In the expanded edition, I only had a minute but seemed to me black and white repdocution wasn't up to the fine standard of the color.

Anyhow, I think this is the way Cobra books will go, toward the $100 coffee table books. I even saw a new book at Monterey that was $1000, that was on an obscure French car and had a die cast metal cover atop the regular hardcover.

I am now reading Sports Car Racing in Camera, but didn't get to any Cobra photos yet but if they are there, I will do a report on it here. The concept is to use old color pictures not seen before on the theory that photographers shot color back then but didn't use it because most car magazines were b & w.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historybuff View Post
I am now reading Sports Car Racing in Camera, but didn't get to any Cobra photos yet...
Can't peek ahead, Wallace? Hahaha! I do the same thing. I hate to spoil the ending..

I also happened to get the book about Ken Miles. Small, but an interesting read. It seems he had a habit of stopping for drinks of water during races long before Riverside. My kinda guy!

Last edited by DTurnbull; 08-19-2008 at 03:49 PM..
Old 08-19-2008, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice book...I find it interesting that the "Publishers Edition" has an autographed bookplate with everyone involved with the exception of the man himself. It would have been nice to have seen a signature by the book's namesake. I'll wager Shelby's asking price was too much for even Mr. Bull to swallow...
Old 12-07-2014, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is it worth to buy this book if you’re intending to rebuild a 289 cut back door race car (USRRC)?
Or can I find the same or even better pictures on the internet?
Old 12-07-2014, 01:52 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF View Post
Is it worth to buy this book if you’re intending to rebuild a 289 cut back door race car (USRRC)?
Or can I find the same or even better pictures on the internet?
Buy the book to restore a car, not likely. Asking questions on the saacforum. com website might be a better idea.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: