10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-29-2009, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

If Shelby was never in the picture at all (hypotheticaly), the AC Ace would just be another forgotten British car like the Austin Healy, the Triumph, and the MG. There would have never been a "Cobra"

________
Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post
If Shelby was never in the picture at all (hypotheticaly), the AC Ace would just be another forgotten British car like the Austin Healy, the Triumph, and the MG. There would have never been a "Cobra"
But thats not enough to write everyone else`s involvement out of the history books, is it? You can`t say that a V8 would never have found it`s way into the Ace, either; for example, the Buick motor that was taken by Rover was, I believe, a possibility for consideration in 61/62.

And of course, those forgotten Healeys, MGs & Triumphs (very much in evidence at everyclassic car show you may care to attend) aren`t SO forgotten if you remember them too...

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68
Old 04-29-2009, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

I'm back on the valium......
Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilly View Post
I'm not well enough versed in Shelby/Coba history to get into this fray but I always did wonder how CS took the body and chassis from A.C. cars and an engine from Ford and, bingo...it's a Shelby (although, I'm really glad he did). It always seemed to me to be more of a recombination (with some improvements,of course) than a "creation".
Hmm, my computer says Dell on it. Did they invent the CPU? Did they make the hard drive or dvd burner? Did they write the operating system?

Perhaps they just sourced a bunch of stuff from other companies, assembled it and slapped the Dell name on it... Do I call it an Intel/Microsoft/etc/etc laptop or do I call it a Dell laptop? Do I go to Intel/Microsoft/etc/etc for warranty service or do I call Dell?

I guess my Dell is just a recombination more than a creation, but I still call it a Dell.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

Hmm, I never realized Dell claimed they "created" the computer.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilly View Post
Hmm, I never realized Dell claimed they "created" the computer.
I didn't claim that Shelby invented the automobile either.

Sourcing components from other companies, putting them together and slapping your name on it; well apparently that's why you can call it a Dell computer or a Shelby Cobra.

Shelby originally registered the trademark for the Cobra name and later sold it to Ford. AC never owned the trademark. They must have been granted a license by Shelby for sales outside of the US for the small block cars.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

I really have no argument with any of this, nor am I a CS hater. But remembering CS's law suits over the "shape" and having heard and read CS saying he created the Cobra, I believe using the word "create" is a bit strong for what he did. Dell assembles computers from outsourced parts as do dozens of other companies but I don't think Dell claims their computers are original creations. But, as you said, CS has a lot of trademark law on his side and that's the way it is. Who knows, if CS had not shoe-horned a Ford V8 into an A.C. Ace, someone else might have come along and slipped a 426 hemi into a Metropolitan Nash and we would be driving replicas of that. Then again, maybe not.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The first cars were shipped from AC with AC nose badges, which were removed. The original replacement nose badges said "AC Shelby Cobra". At least they did not try to replace the AC logo'ed pedals.

Interestingly, I don't think Dell tries to put a sticker over the word Intel on the CPU...
Old 04-29-2009, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     

Al Gore invented "THE" internet
Old 04-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David Healey did it first - 'Powered by Nash'.

Steve
Old 04-29-2009, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

Great stuff! You'se guys are too much...

i suppose van Gogh simply assembled and re-arranged a few bits of canvas and pigments such that the beauty simply became apparent. But, Gogh was certainly the creator, if not the Creator.

Similarly, one might insist that Michelangelo's DAVID was already within the stone, before it was shaped. Perhaps Michey only re-arranged or removed the waste materials?
See: http://www.econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/arch/david/David.htm

So, certainly CS was not the first to use the moniker to describe a hot shot beautiful two-seater; that is reserved to the 1955/6 Chris-Craft's beautiful and very expensive Cobra speed-boat.

And there were other Cobras; engines, radios and lots of other stuff before and after 1962. Only Caroll's Cobra won the World Championships.

Rather obviously, the essential and detail design was AC, particularly if you look carefully at the RuddSpeed body changes, FORD engine use and various modifications. Of course, i realize the modifications and necessary improvements made by Remmington and his team during testing and the race seasons. After all, Phil recently signed my old copy of the dealers parts manual and we talked at length about his practical engineering approach to problem solving, both with Shelby and just previously to SA at Princeton Street with the Scarab's of Baron Lance Reventlow.

But, Shel' made it happen, to his everlasting credit in my view. Over-bearing personality be hanged. It doesn't count much in the end.

For this point, i am reminded of the Churchill story about his encounter with David Inches (family butler):

"Winston Churchill: You're very rude to me, Inches.
David Inches: You're very rude to me, sir.
Winston Churchill: Yes but I am a great man!
[Churchill leaves]
David Inches: No, you're not. You're a stupid ole bugger."

"Winston Churchill [subsequent and unrelated quote]:
I've lived too long, I'm in the ruck, I've drunk too deeply of the cup,
I cannot spend, I cannot fruck, I'm down and out! I'm buggered up!"

More or less covers the waterfront, doesn't it?
---------------
Can we get a group rate on the chemistry, Mr. T?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington
Old 04-30-2009, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

"a group rate on the chemistry"?? Steady old chap, I may have a very dodgy reutation but I don't want to get in that kinda business, know wha ah meen?

but see me later - gotta some good s**t - comes from Mexico :-)
Old 04-30-2009, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

About the only things we have from Mexico here are a currently over-rated swine flu and many future democrat voters, both trying to reduce us back to a 3rd rate economy along with the dem party leadership's quest for ultimate power.

Don't worry. Chevrolet will be forced to drop the Corvette in the name of emissions and social justice. Along with pick-ups being disallowed for the general population that doesn't get a government license to purchase one, there will be many changes not yet envisioned by the deluded and addle-brained emotional basket-cases that voted for this nincompoop.

Me? i like good beer. The first is the best and for me the second is the last. Motorcycles bite, y'know.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Last edited by What'saCobra?; 04-30-2009 at 04:06 PM..
Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Was the Buchanan the first to use " Cobra "

http://www.v8vantage.com/buchananmot...an%20Cobra.htm
Old 04-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Was the Buchanan the first to use " Cobra "

http://www.v8vantage.com/buchananmot...an%20Cobra.htm
If you read some of the Cobra books you would know that there was a defunct automotive Cobra trademark at the time Shelby originally applied for the Cobra trademark.

http://crosleyautoclub.com/EngineTre...ng_Tree-1.html

Heck that might even be mentioned in Trevor's books.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
The 260 and 289-powered Cobras were sold as both Shelby (in the USA) and AC (rest of the world)

The 427 was only ever a Shelby Cobra.

very simple - end of story.
Very well said Trevor and lump it or like it they were all built by AC !!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post

Who knows, AC might have found another engine supplier.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"The 260 and 289-powered Cobras were sold as both Shelby (in the USA) and AC (rest of the world)."

... perhaps might ought more precisely to be phrased:

The 260 and 289-powered Cobras were sold as both AC's and later Shelby's (in the USA) and AC's (rest of the world).
George Washington
Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

They were AC's when it was useful for them to be AC's and Shelby's at all other times....
Old 08-25-2009, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

THAT is the precise reason for any variances in nomenclature: opportunity. The Man would ride any horse, not only the one that invited him to the rodeo. Opportunity never needeth knocke twiceth at His door.

All hat and no cattle, doesn't really apply to the gentleman; surely because he was really one fine sob driver of both good and difficult cars and men.
George Washington

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: