Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shell Valley Companies

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by compaq View Post
It is hard to believe that anyone sells one of these
for what they have invested in one.Based on my experience with one i think
they are more of an investment and work then it is worthwhile.
I had $30,000.00 invested in the one i had and you can't even drive them at this price.Even if you do the assembly work or the most of the work yourself
you are still spending more money even by not paying the labor and the work
involved to build one is to time consuming i think and ends up being more then what you want to do.You can't also trust most people and like i was saying people don't want to give you anything for these at least not what you have invested in them.
Factory Five based their entire business plan on the fact that their customers would find the building experience worthwhile and know they wouldn't be making money on their investment. Now they sell more Cobras than all other manufactures combined. That doesn't make them the best Cobras out there but it really contradicts your perspective of the industry.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

WOW!
I've been involved with hot rods for many years and have had lots of interactions with gearheads, all the likes, dislikes and all the competitions.

Main thing.....there's no money in it if your a car owner..it's just feed your love and make her happy, and if it's a Cobra..it's all about fun.

Pedal to the metal, smokin tires, fast turns and all the those jealous folks wishin they were you.

Bill
Old 05-15-2009, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For 99% its a hobby. A way to release some other frustrations/ tensions or even boredom and to express ourselves. If you go into this wanting to make money you are going to be sadley dissapointed (most of the time). I love my car, I am proud of what I have achieved but it is the most impractical thing I have (other than the dog). But it doesnt half put a grin on my face.
Go Shell Valley Cobra
To each his own that is the beauty of the western world.
Bruce
Old 05-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TButtrick View Post
Factory Five based their entire business plan...
TButtrick makes the point that FF had a well thought out business plan... and it has worked. Remember, this is a "Shell Valley" thread, and was spawned by the fact that SV has apparently skirted the chopping block, for now at least. Hopefully they have a business plan. I posted that question on the Shell Valley sister thread last night and got a gratuitous kick in the a$$ from GotTheBug. Why, I have no idea -- I'll chalk it up to a bad day at work and just turn the other cheek. You might ask, "patrickt, don't you support Shell Valley?" Well, yes... in the same fashion that I support the guy that just opened up a dry cleaners across town. But if dry cleaning was indeed my hobby, I would also tell him "The last dry cleaners that was here went out of business -- what are you going to do different? And by the way, we have half a dozen other dry cleaners in this town, why shouldn't I go to them?" Of course, the dry cleaner might tell me "patrick, I'm not doing this to make money -- I just love dry cleaning, have all my life, I remember the first time I saw a pleated cuff...." C'mon, let's be real... for SV to stay in business, the new owners are going to have to treat the company like a business... a real business. So far, there hasn't been a single post with meat in it that would point to the fact that they are, in fact, doing just that.

And btw, here's the gratuitous kick in the a$$ thread: http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...threadid=96940
Old 05-15-2009, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley 289 with edelbrock perfomer rpm setup.
Not Ranked     
Default Value of Cobra Kit Versus Amount of Investment to Build

I was talking mainly about the money you have in it and not any profit.
If you completely put something together and it doesn't have any
driving miles such as in the case of what i had.It hasn't even been driven.
When someone wants to give you $7500.00 less then what it even took to
put together and it still isn't completely drivable or done then that basically tells you something right there about the value of these.Of course a new vehicle
will lose value or any vehicle after it is driven away but when something hasn't even been driven or is drivable and hasn't been titled yet because it isn't completely drivable due to the lack of seats,steering column etc.
If car dealers took 14,000.00 dollars less for a vehicle that was just driven
off a car hauler straight from the factory then they would probably be taking
a loss on alot and just mainly the labor and parts involved and not any profit
over what it cost to build including labor and parts.Basically the cars aren't worth what it takes to put then together in a nutshell.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Basically the cars aren't worth what it takes to put them together, in a nutshell.
I generally agree with that statement (not always, but most of the time). The new SV should add a page to their business plan that says "we will strive to deliver a car that is worth more than what it costs to put it all together."
Old 05-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Gee, patrickt and compaq, maybe you two should start building and selling replicas yourselves that are worth more than what it costs to put it all together.

I bet you'd sell a lot.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUSHAC View Post
Gee, patrickt and compaq, maybe you two should start building and selling replicas yourselves that are worth more than what it costs to put it all together.

I bet you'd sell a lot.
That's been tried.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Not Ranked     

From reading thepost PT put up, sounds like they know how to run a business.

Good luck to em
(Wish I was one of those kids....)

5/14/09
Travis and Deanna Roth have recently purchased Shell Valley Companies, Inc. (which included Midstates Classic Cars & Parts and International Wholesale). The new company will be known as Shell Valley Classic Wheels, Inc. Travis and Deanna are excited about their new enterprise in Platte Center, Nebraska. They both went to high school in Bancroft, Nebraska. After high school Travis attended Wayne State College where he played football for two years and then transferred to Southeast Community College in Milford, Nebraska, where he graduated with an architectural degree. Travis married Deanna Johnson in June 1994. They have three children, Anthony, 13, Trent, 11, and Carissa, 6. Travis and Deanna have owned and managed Ideal Wheels in Bancroft since 1995 and have owned Roth Racing Performance in Norfolk, Nebraska since 2004. They look forward to relocating and to the new business challenge. They are excited about meeting and taking care of existing customers and welcoming new customers to the Shell Valley family. Travis and Deanna are pleased to announce that the majority of the former company’s employees remain with the company.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That's been tried.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

This COMPAQ fellow surely belongs on the club cobra site, because I've never seen SO MUCH venom spread before!!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

To the best of anyone's knowledge, CSX, ERA, Kirkham, Unique, BDR, FFR appear to be making money, why not Shell Valley?

As for the "cost to build" or "investment" versus the sales price when done, WHO CARES. Have some fun everyone and take your Cobra out this weekend for a ride. Have you hugged your Cobra today?
Old 05-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
To the best of anyone's knowledge, CSX, ERA, Kirkham, Unique, BDR, FFR appear to be making money, why not Shell Valley?
And what about KitCarsToGo?
Old 05-15-2009, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley 289 with edelbrock perfomer rpm setup.
Not Ranked     
Default Cost to build versus sale price.

I didn't really care about what it cost as i told Dana but i think most people in this are out to milk someone for all they can get but then someone wants to make remarks about how someones pays them for what they are doing.
They had my car for two years and they told me that things didn't get done very fast when you send $100.00 here and there.Basically insulting someone with some of the remarks that were said to me.As far as investment goes
they are sure in it to make money but whether it is a hobby or not i still
don't like to lose money on things.I would imagine most people don't like losing money on anything.Would you put a house that costs $500,00.00 to build
in a neighborhood that is only valued at $25,000.00.I am in the Indianapolis area
and houses sell for $125,000.00 and the area isn't that good.It says the area is only valued at $25,000.00 on the internet.Most likely you won't get your money back.Some people give it though but i wouldn't.As i told someone at this
Everett-Morrison or whoever bought it or whoever they were.If i wanted to throw money away i would flush it down the toilet.I was also told they were
working on my car everyday and if they wre working on it everyday it should have been done alot sooner.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Its sounds like you have sour grapes and should(if you haven't already ) sell your car and find anew hobby. I can only speak for myself but I bought my car KNOWING I would lose money on it if I ever sold it and 99% of the others on here did, ESPECIALLY in this economy. Companies exist to make a profit but that doesn't mean they are trying to take advantage of people or lie, cheat and steal to make a profit. There have been those that do but I believe it is the minority in this hobby, not the majority. If you are that unhappy, take the loss, sell your car and go find a new hobby.
Ron
Old 05-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
If you are that unhappy, take the loss, sell your car and go find a new hobby.
Uhhh, dry cleaning maybe?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Thats the ticket!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

Over the years I've purchased a few minor items from Shell Valley for my old SV replica. In the process, I've gotten to know Dana somewhat. My dealings with Dana and SV have been nothing but positive. I have no evidence to lead me to believe that anything has changed, that way. Once I retire, I'd like to build another cobra replica-this time eliminating all the mistakes I made on the first one. The first place I'd go shopping is SV.

My advice? Give 'em a chance.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I didn't really care about what it cost as i told Dana but i think most people in this are out to milk someone for all they can get but then someone wants to make remarks about how someones pays them for what they are doing.
Compaq,
I think you should try a Macintosh. You might be happier if your Windoz wasn't crashing so often. Please don't stop adding to this thread, your insight into the cobra hobby is...well...astonishing.

Why don't you build a GT-40 next.

Last edited by hi-tech cobra; 05-15-2009 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: add text.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Over the years I've purchased a few minor items from Shell Valley for my old SV replica...

My advice? Give 'em a chance.
Hmm, I dunno... could have been lulling you in to a false sense of security in order to take better advantage of you at a later date. You know, cleverly laid groundwork destined to bear sweeter fruit when you least suspect it....