SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Best portable Engine Analyzer ?

Ok you guys, I know we have some experienced technicians and diagnosticians here. I am shopping for a used compact engine analyzer with all the leads for my home garage, you guessed it , for my Cobra, to be able to check everything from Primary and Secondary waveforms, alt output, rpms. dwell. dont need DIS capability...... yet. Any suggestions or opinions ?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

E-bay, etc. or:

A regular old oscilloscope will do all that, and probably less than $100 at a yard sale, or on e-bay. Only difference is you have to do math on your readings to get numbers you're familiar with, like "rpm"
Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcarbp View Post
Ok you guys, I know we have some experienced technicians and diagnosticians here. I am shopping for a used compact engine analyzer with all the leads for my home garage, you guessed it , for my Cobra, to be able to check everything from Primary and Secondary waveforms, alt output, rpms. dwell. dont need DIS capability...... yet. Any suggestions or opinions ?

Thanks
If you have something like a MSD Box then a lot of the "old school" engine analyzers are going to choke on them. Really, all you need is a decent VOM, a vacuum gauge, an inductive timing light, and an inductive tachometer. If you want to buy something, go with an exhaust analyzer. If you want a really good tool, buy this and learn what your engine sounds like before you need to diagnose an unusual noise.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

LOL.....I have an identical one of those. It's amzing what you hear prodding around the engine, dist, etc. A person should record a CD and make a few $$$

[quote=patrickt;988069]If you have something like a MSD Box then a lot of the "old school" engine analyzers are going to choke on them. Really, all you need is a decent VOM, a vacuum gauge, an inductive timing light, and an inductive tachometer. If you want to buy something, go with an exhaust analyzer. If you want a really good tool, buy this and learn what your engine sounds like before you need to diagnose an unusual noise./[quote]

But I agree with Patrict. I have a couple oscillcisopes around and have never bothered to hook one up to a car's ignition. The test equipment he mentions are all you need, although I admit to not having an exhaust analyzer and get by.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

PatrickT- Thanks I have a digital CD box installed (not msd) dont know what you mean by choke, do they struggle to read the multi-sparks wave forms ? I am about to buy an inductive tach for tool box (have all the other items you listed) but figured I'd see what guys are using these days. I remember using the Sun "Sleuth" type engine analyzers and the portable Bear PC based ones back in the 90's and still see them on ebay and thought that might be handy to have but Sun's are way too big and Bears still pricey. Hmmm You've given me a great idea to take audio files of the entire driveline to have a baseline (my son would eat that project up) and store them on my iPOD under

ARTIST
---COBRA.

I thought about the gas analyzers, But then a modern INOVATE Wide Band AFR meter @ $450 is maybe more useful than a EG analyzer ?? since I cant drive with a EG analyzer. I would lean toward investing the $450 at the local chassis dyno. instead since I am running a single carb and it would be quick to test and set-up.

Last edited by kitcarbp; 09-29-2009 at 11:27 AM..
Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
PatrickT- Thanks I have a digital CD box installed (not msd) dont know what you mean by choke, do they struggle to read the multi-sparks wave forms?
Yes, your old tach/dwell is not going to work at all on a MSD unit, probably won't work on your digital CD box either. Think about it; how do you measure how long your points are hanging open when you're getting multiple sparks? I know MSD sells a special tool for working with their boxes; but I have no experience with one. Some timing lights will not work with an MSD box, maybe your digital CD box as well, and some will. There is no rhyme or reason to which ones work and which ones don't, but if you put a light on your engine and the mark looks like it's going nuts, don't panic, it's probably just the timing light. What I love about my Cobra is that I use the same tools to work on it that I used when I was in high school and could barely afford a pot to pi$$ in. You really don't need a lot of expense stuff.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, I knew about the dwell feature not being applicable but I dont have points its a mag pick-up DURASPARK, surely an inductive tach would work for measuring the rpms, no ? I did confirm this week is my new el-cheapo $19 Analog Advance Timing Light works ok to set timing on my rig, no dancing timing mark with mine (Mallory digital CD box).
Old 09-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
...surely an inductive tach would work for measuring the rpms, no ? I did confirm this week is my new el-cheapo $19 Analog Advance Timing Light works ok to set timing on my rig, no dancing timing mark with mine (Mallory digital CD box).
My inductive tach works fine, but the "multi spark" can throw some of them off. What doesn't work at all on the MSD box is the old tach/dwell where you clipped one alligator on the side of the coil.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

If you have DFI (Digital Fuel Injection) and electronic ignition you will probably want some kind of scope. I finished troubleshooting a problem with a scope borrowed from work as I could not determine whether the DFI controller or the ignition controller was at fault. The scope told me that the 12V signal from the FI controller to the ignition box was present so the failure had to be in the ignition box.

I've seen low bandwidth scopes on ebay for <$100.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
If you have DFI (Digital Fuel Injection) and electronic ignition you will probably want some kind of scope.
I forget that everybody in the world is not running an old Holley 4V. A vacuum gauge isn't going to help much on a DFI, I guess.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Why would a vacuum gauge not work??

patrickt Pat why would a vacuum gauge not work on an EFI motor? Last time I checked there was still vacuum, even with the TWM setup? Vacuum gauge still helps with intake valve problems, too much back pressure like a clogged cat convertor or muffler. I still use one about 2 times a week at work. Basic tools still work on todays latest super duper efi motors. 2 stoke motor are a different thing. Rick L.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
I still use one about 2 times a week at work. Basic tools still work on todays latest super duper efi motors.
Thank you for the ball-busting, Rick. May I have one more, please?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Red face I'm sorry, did not know it was that time of the month

Patrickt SORRY Pat. I didn't know it was that time of the month. Start putting the toys away for the winter.
Could the club memebers help with a group hug?? See all better. With gas prices dropping, go ahead and for for another cruise. Going to be a nice weekend, maybe? Rick L. Ps by the way have 2 stethoscopes, one like yours and electronic one. Use a long screw driver when lazy. By the way in the picture WHERE'S the fender cover??? Hood is open???? I did it again!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 04:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
... by the way have 2 stethoscopes, one like yours and electronic one.
Never heard of that. Does it actually work better than the old fashioned one?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Craftsman Analyzer

What about this one, any opinions on this one ? Looks like all I really need

Choices choices, here is a basic Sears analyzer that is an inductive tach type. This may be all I need, It can read alt output or crank amps up to 400A according to meter.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2009, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bought the Craftsman

Well after checking flea bay for all types of engine analyzers even ones with a gas bench etc, I decided to start with a the basic Sears Unit shown above with inductive tach pick-up. They are cheap and plentiful on ebay which makes me wonder why that is .

Its compact and has lead storage built in. The scope I wanted will have to come later. I will feedback what I learn to the rest as far as usefulness etc.

Bill

Last edited by kitcarbp; 10-06-2009 at 10:42 AM..
Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am beginning to suspect you merely want some impressive looking test gear to show off in your workshop......

Im teasing. And I would be interested in how usefull you find it, so please post again on this.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What about this one, any opinions on this one ?
I bought one of those in the early 80's. Haven't used it on my Cobra in nearly six years of ownership. It's a great conversation piece when I'm bench racing at home with the guys though.

-Dean
Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Well That one was a dud

OK got the SEARS analog analyzer and its not what I really need, a good conversation piece like you said.

Now I will go with a BLUEPOINT /SNAPON type automotive multimeter with all the test leads that should allow me to test everything but alt output/cranking amps.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Automotive Meter Purchased

Just to update this thread with what I found as a good basic automotive meter.
The Antique Sears engine analyzer I bought was a mistake and will go out with todays "recycling". My first real mistake in my build so far >

After searching fleabay and on-line pawn shops for a used basic automotive meter with inductive, rpm's, basic DVOM functions, and thermocouple with F and C temp ranges, I went with the Harbor Freight CEN-TECH Automotive meter. I couldn't beleive they sell this for $35 new. You would not want this if you make a living with your meter, but for my home use, it gets a big thumbs up. The only item I still need is an inductive (0-400 A) DC current clamp for this meter so I can check current consumption quickly anywhere on the car.

Bill