SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archrms View Post
I looked into the sonic repellers, but was told they might not work well in a garage full of cars and other assorted stuff. I'll give them a try, they're cheap enough.
Extensive tests have shown the sonic repellers worthless against rodents and insects. They're cheap because they don't do anything.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 12-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Extensive tests have shown the sonic repellers worthless against rodents and insects. They're cheap because they don't do anything.
Sorry catfish21 and Bartruff1, "extensive tests" have shown that the sonic units do not work, so your positive "field tested" results have been invalidated.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW - A friend of mine who lives in the Santa Cruz Mountains has had good luck with the Victor electronic mouse traps. A little peanut butter to draw them in and they get zapped.

http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m260

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

What about a bowl of fresh anti-freeze. I know it does wonders for Dogs & Cats . Just don't let the Cats in there!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archrms View Post
13 - our cats are good hunters, killing everything from mice & rats, to birds, rabbits, and have even fought with raccoons (and won). The problem is they can't get into the garage, but the mice can. I am worried that if a cut a cat door into the garage that I might be creating an even bigger problem with the cats or other large animals that may get in through the door.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I wrap a thin solid wire around the the trip lever a few loose winds and embed the peanut butter on the trip lever, even a little underneath. Otherwise they will just lick it clean with no snap. I

I suppose you could put the car up on 4 jack stands and greese the jack stands so the mice/rats couldn't climb up. Or set thejack stands in trays with oil to make a moat. Be creative. Good luck.

John
Old 12-08-2009, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

How about a couple of drunk rednecks with a pellet gun and night vision goggles?

Whatever happens, I'm sure you'll want to catch it on video...

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 238 lonestar w/IRS rear end
Not Ranked     

dangerous doug what do you have against drunk rednecks! Masnaka, rats and mice can jump feet into the air without help. I have a silverado duramax and they like to live in my airbox. everytime I open the box to clean the airfilter theres little reminder's they were there.
Eric
Old 12-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I have five barns.

The mice are going to get in.

How much are you willing to go through to keep them out?

Sticky traps work great, but the cost per trap is pricey. Peanut butter on the trigger has a less than 50% success rate unless you can get the trigger to pop at the slightest tremmor. The box/run traps work if you have a lot of mice, but if you have this many, you have a bigger problem.

We set out poison boxes. Most of the mice die inside the barn and are swept up. This is the most effective mouse removal we have used.

Put the traps up and out of reach of animals other than the mice.

Hope you resolve your rodent issue.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Sorry catfish21 and Bartruff1, "extensive tests" have shown that the sonic units do not work, so your positive "field tested" results have been invalidated.
I'll be dammed... maybe my mice can't read...??
Old 12-09-2009, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

I picked up a few sonic repellers last night, I figured they couldn't hurt.

The night vision scope in on the x-mas wish list due to the raccoons raiding the feed stalls in the stables.

I've used the tray sticky traps with a 75% success rate. The other 25% I find the empty traps all over the garage from where they were originally placed - empty.

Will the mothballs actually keep the from damaging the seats/interior?

I sealed any openings I thought they could get through, but did not realize that a hole as small as a pencil would be a problem. I will go through it again this weekend, just to be sure.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

I tried everything including the drunk red necks...plugged every hole with SOS Pads ....traps...fabric softeners ect.... but it was a continuous pain in the ass .. I hesitated to use the electronic stuff for fear it would affect the pets.. but it hasn't....now....I put one in nearly every electrical outlet in the garage and I haven't had any mice for several years...if they find out about the tests...they are going to be pissed...let us know what happens...:

Last edited by Bartruff1; 12-09-2009 at 07:14 AM..
Old 12-09-2009, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
How's the wife like that move? I know my wife wouldn't be crazy about snakes in the back yard, but then neither would the neighbors since I live in an urban environment.....
The back yard is almost 3/4 acre and the shed is about 75 yards from the house. She's OK with the snakes as long as they're outside. Either way I think she'd rather have them than mice or rats. The snake I last put down there was a little over two feet long and hungry. I interrupted it catching a meal (a frog). Was hoping that would be extra incentive for it to immediately go after the mice.

My last Victor trap was the best "snap trap" I had. It was never empty and unsprung. It's "tomcat" traps that aren't sensitive enough. I'll give the Q-tip thing a try.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
I interrupted it catching a meal (a frog).
Well at least your garage and cobra will be frog-free this winter....

Who knows, maybe the snakes will make a den in your side pipes. Wonder if the effect would be like sticking a banana in a normal tailpipe.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The de con must work....had a dog get into it and spend 7 days in intensive care including blood transfusions....turned out fine...
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Everyone from the USDA down to the consumer reporting groups and PopMech have tested the sonic repellers many times over the last 30 years. Not a one got a positive result. IIRC, mice built a nest behind one operating unit. You can look this up in about three minutes flat and save yourself a lot of money.

Everybody has a solution their Gramps or Uncle Busky or neighbor told them about. Most are sheer folktale... but hey, they keep the elephants and aardvarks away, too.

If you're serious about rodent control, talk to your local ag university or county agent or equivalent. They'll tell you some specific, effective ways to control critters and pests, often a lot cheaper than anything you buy down at the hardware store. In my experience (aided with good, professional advice), there's never one solution. It has to be a combination of sealing up access holes and cracks, putting away ALL attractants, and then using traps etc. to nuke the persistent ones.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Everyone from the USDA down to the consumer reporting groups and PopMech have tested the sonic repellers many times over the last 30 years. Not a one got a positive result. IIRC, mice built a nest behind one operating unit. You can look this up in about three minutes flat and save yourself a lot of money.

Everybody has a solution their Gramps or Uncle Busky or neighbor told them about. Most are sheer folktale... but hey, they keep the elephants and aardvarks away, too.

If you're serious about rodent control, talk to your local ag university or county agent or equivalent. They'll tell you some specific, effective ways to control critters and pests, often a lot cheaper than anything you buy down at the hardware store. In my experience (aided with good, professional advice), there's never one solution. It has to be a combination of sealing up access holes and cracks, putting away ALL attractants, and then using traps etc. to nuke the persistent ones.
I think we're going to need to nickname you Cliff Claven. You know way too much about rodents.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The only thing I know about rats is that the distributor is on the wrong end.

... Only in that I have a persistent population of Norways in my back yard (we abut onto some undeveloped park/flood zone land) and they've given me endless sport over the years.

One was stupid enough to come up from under the house and into the living room, where a piece of wall trim had been removed during some remodeling.

It was a short-lived problem. We have Great Danes.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I'm rethinking the "drunk rednecks with a pellet gun" suggestion. My concern is the possibility of a secondary infestation. Sure, you get rid of all the rodents, but then you have a bunch of drunk rednecks hanging out in your garage. The only recourse is to cut off the food---er, ah---beer supply. Eventually, the herd will begin to thin out as they move to where the beer is readily available, but in the meantime, the damage they can do could be costly---especially if they don't run out of pellets before they run out of beer.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 12-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The only thing I know about rats is that the distributor is on the wrong end.

... Only in that I have a persistent population of Norways in my back yard (we abut onto some undeveloped park/flood zone land) and they've given me endless sport over the years.

One was stupid enough to come up from under the house and into the living room, where a piece of wall trim had been removed during some remodeling.

It was a short-lived problem. We have Great Danes.
Doug, I don't know about Cliff Claven, but Gunner immediately reminded me of this movie character:

Old 12-09-2009, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, I don't resemble Carl at all... I've used every frackin' thing except dynamite. Those damned Norways are so tough and resistant that I've put a .22 pellet through them and they just scamper faster. Poison is the usual problem with dogs big and strong enough to flip over crates, etc. too.