SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Question on installing brake lines/fittings...

I bought some braided brake lines from Olthoff's (with the proper fittings for my SPF) a few millennia ago and will probably use the wet(ter) winter months to finally tackle this.

Any tricks that I need to know (i.e. do you use a teflon paste/tape for sealing to the caliper)? I've done brakes a gazillion times on cars but have never R&R'd a brake line.

Thanks for the advice,

-Dean
Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Nope, no sealer. The fittings in the calipers are usually flared or pipe thread. Braided hoses usually use AN fittings.

Just make sure the fittings are the correct size, pitch, flare, etc.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 429CI
Not Ranked     

My calipers are Wilwoods and the calipers are tapped to 1/8-27 NPT. I used a 1/8-27 to -3AN male adapter. Then -3AN SS brakelines to the hardlines on the frame. For the 1/8 end into the caliper I used a little red Loctite. The adapters are cadmium plated steel the calipers are aluminum. I made the choice that a sealer was better than over tightening the pipe thread. I have no leaks.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
I made the choice that a sealer was better than over tightening the pipe thread. I have no leaks.
That's sort of where my mind is at, too. Just want to gather as many opinions on the subject, thanks.

-Dean
Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Dean many use an adapter part of which is NPT on one end and AN-3 on the other, no sealer is used, mechanical seal entirely. On some calipers the attaching hole is a straight thread and uses a Banjo bolt with copper or aluminum crush washers on either side of the Banjo itself.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 12-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
Dean many use an adapter part of which is NPT on one end and AN-3 on the other, no sealer is used, mechanical seal entirely.
Rick, that may be what I have here. Adapter to the factory Wilwood calipers was provided. It's a straight fitting (i.e. no banjo...I'm familiar with how those work).

My thinking is if you use sealant for the pipe threads on a mechanical fuel pump, why wouldn't you do the same with a brake line that is also carrying a thin fluid that is under pressure?

-Dean
Old 12-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

Dean make sure you use a good flare nut wrench. I used the flex head ones from Griot's. the fittings on the hard line are a bear to get to.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cal, thanks for the heads-up. I might even hit all of them with a little shot of PB Blaster the night before just to loosen them up some.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

Dean, another thing , on the rubber hoses to the calipers, the fitting were pretty tight on mine, I just cut the hose off at the fitting, and stuck a socket on them to take them out. didn't want to round off the fitting.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I thought about that, too. The old hoses aren't going back on, and it's not like someone else is game enough to install old brake lines (though I could be wrong on that one!).
Old 12-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Dean,

I installed the Olthoff braided lines on #1938, shortly after getting the car on the road in early 2005. I didn't use any sealer or tape and haven't had any issues since. I believe the experts advise against using sealer/tape, but for what reason I don't know. You might call Dennis and ask for his advise.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
My thinking is if you use sealant for the pipe threads on a mechanical fuel pump, why wouldn't you do the same with a brake line that is also carrying a thin fluid that is under pressure?
Because sealant will make a joint more forgiving if there are tiny mechanical discrepancies... up to maybe 100 psi or so.

At the thousands of PSI in a brake system, you have it mechanically perfect or it's going to leak. You hope all it does is leak...

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =