SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-19-2011, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformace, Big Block
Not Ranked     
Default New owner, please help

I am a proud new owner of a 1999 Superformance and am looking forward to learning allot from you all.

Need help with a gas pedal problem. It has about 3/4" play when depressed before it engages the throttle. It is sticking down just at throttle engagement. It does not appear to be sticking on the shaft to the carb. From time to time I have to lift the throttle from the underside to bring it back up. Reminds me of dead peddle on a bad clutch.

I checked the spring and it seems okay but could it be as simple as replacing the spring or could it be something else?

Thank You
Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsphoenix View Post
I am a proud new owner of a 1999 Superformance and am looking forward to learning allot from you all.

Need help with a gas pedal problem. It has about 3/4" play when depressed before it engages the throttle. It is sticking down just at throttle engagement. It does not appear to be sticking on the shaft to the carb. From time to time I have to lift the throttle from the underside to bring it back up. Reminds me of dead peddle on a bad clutch.

I checked the spring and it seems okay but could it be as simple as replacing the spring or could it be something else?

Thank You
Make sure the linkage is not going "over center" on idle throttle. The Superformance has a slot on the arm in the engine compartment that allows control of the amount of trottle "throw". if you have too much it may be oever center and the spring is not strong enough to return to idle posistion. Also check for play in the pivots. There are bushings on the cross shaft that could be worn and allowing the sticking. I can provide a diagram of the trottle system and shows the parts if you need.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

i dont have a SPF.....but if you have to pull the pedal up with your foot to shut down the throttle then i would start by replaceing the spring......if it is a cable then find a can of cable lube ( motorcycle shops sell it) and lube the heck out of the cable and look for any spots where it may be beginning to frey.....if its mechanical linkage then check for where it may be binding up....broken motor mounts have been known to let the motor rock enough to make the linkage bind while going around corners...
hope this helps......
welcome to CC...
post some pics..
Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Once you solve your problem, make sure you also have dual return springs in place.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 04-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I have the same problem with mine if I try to remove the throttle return spring that is mounted on the inner fender.

Take a look and see if you have a spring there or not. If not, let me know and I will try to get a picture of what I'm talking about.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Once you solve your problem, make sure you also have dual return springs in place.
Dual springs on the pedal?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Make sure the linkage is not going "over center" on idle throttle. The Superformance has a slot on the arm in the engine compartment that allows control of the amount of trottle "throw". if you have too much it may be oever center and the spring is not strong enough to return to idle posistion. Also check for play in the pivots. There are bushings on the cross shaft that could be worn and allowing the sticking. I can provide a diagram of the trottle system and shows the parts if you need.
A diagram would be great.

Thank you
Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

itsphoenix

The gas pedal hinges on a bell crank throught the pedal box. The gas pedal attaches to the bell crank with a nut on your early car (with a small bolt on later cars). Over time the attaching point of the gas pedal to the bellcrank can become loose and tightening the nut more can cause the pedal to lock up the bell crank in the pedal box bushing. To check this, back off the nut a little and see if the movement frees up. If it does, you either need to repair the current pedal and bell crank, buy new, or this is my solution.

Modified Gas Pedal Lever

You can fab this yourself or I have extras I will sell you for $50. including shipping

Craig
Old 04-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are a couple pictures of the throttle return spring I was referring to.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Silverback51

That is not a factory install.

From the factory the car is delivered with a spring that pulls the pedal back in the foot well. The only other springs are what are attached to the carburetor.

I also see your linkage has seen some excessive bind because of the way the bell crank lever is bent/twisted. When adjusted properly, you shold be at WOT at the same time as the gas pedal hits the floor. If the carburetor gets to WOT before the pedal gets to the floor, you will bend linkage.

Craig
Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsphoenix View Post
Dual springs on the pedal?
One on the pedal is fine, but you should have a return spring connected directly to the carb as well (in case the linkage fails). Either spring should be strong enough to return the carb to closed. There are plenty of examples of what happens if a spring breaks and you A) either only have one spring or B) your second spring is not strong enough to close the carb from WOT. None of them are good.

I actually have three (one on the pedal, one on the linkage, and one on the carb), but that is probably overkill.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigayl View Post
itsphoenix

The gas pedal hinges on a bell crank throught the pedal box. The gas pedal attaches to the bell crank with a nut on your early car (with a small bolt on later cars). Over time the attaching point of the gas pedal to the bellcrank can become loose and tightening the nut more can cause the pedal to lock up the bell crank in the pedal box bushing. To check this, back off the nut a little and see if the movement frees up. If it does, you either need to repair the current pedal and bell crank, buy new, or this is my solution.

Modified Gas Pedal Lever

You can fab this yourself or I have extras I will sell you for $50. including shipping

Craig
This looks like a great solution. Does this look like what you are describing? Does the original lever shaft screw into the back side?

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/w...3/d8bd09fc.jpg
Old 04-20-2011, 04:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Silverback51

That is not a factory install.

From the factory the car is delivered with a spring that pulls the pedal back in the foot well. The only other springs are what are attached to the carburetor.

I also see your linkage has seen some excessive bind because of the way the bell crank lever is bent/twisted. When adjusted properly, you shold be at WOT at the same time as the gas pedal hits the floor. If the carburetor gets to WOT before the pedal gets to the floor, you will bend linkage.

Craig
And here all this time I thought that spring set up was from the factory. Thanks for the lessons learned Craig.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

itsapheonix

I do not recognize your photo. This is the where the gas pedal connects to the bell crank inside the footwell?

Can you take another photo of the other end in the engine vompartment?

Craig1265
Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
itsapheonix

I do not recognize your photo. This is the where the gas pedal connects to the bell crank inside the footwell?

Can you take another photo of the other end in the engine vompartment?

Craig1265
The first image was in the footwell. This image is in the engine compartment.

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/w...3/b70fcbfb.jpg
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I had a Superformance here where the pedal had stripped it's attachment to the shaft. The pedal couldn't be removed with the motor in place so I welded it to the shaft for now. It sounds like it is binding where the nut holds the assembly together. Check that first. Make sure you're throttle isn't running out of travel and bottoming out as that messes with the linkage and as pointed out have at least two return springs, one on the carb linkage and one on the pedal. Check out SCOF as it's a wealth of knowledge on these cars.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Hey Phoenix,
Jeff here or one of the AZ gang. I see there is a new owner in the state and wanted to say welcome and invite ya to one of our gatherings. Check your PM list for some info.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK

Their must have been another configuration on very early cars or your has been modified. Your gas pedal appears to be welded to the shaft in the foot box and the lever in the engine compartment held onto the shaft with a set screw. Yet one more configurtation

Craig