SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-17-2011, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Oils high in ZDDP- my findings this week

Heres what I learned ; So it was time to change the break-in oil in my 460 crate engine and I did a quick search on over the counter, reasonably priced easy to find oils. The Local Brad Penn dist didnt answer the phone and I needed the oil that morning so gave up on it. After consulting the latest product sheets for a few of these racing oils I learned the high ZDDP (zinc.phosphate oils ) can still be found in oils marketed as "Racing Oils" but most are limited to the 50 weight oils (straight 50 or multi-grade 15W or 20W-50 to meet the recent rules that limit the ZDDP content to I think about 800ppm (so CAT's live a long happy life) in 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, weight oils.

I decided on the Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil , 20W-50 because its easy to find, cheap and has the 1200-1300 ish ppm I was looking for. Readers note, I'm still using a can of Comp Cams cam break-in lube to be conservative along with the VR1 oil since my engine has less than 10 hours on it.

I learned of a "new to me" Mobil 1 product 0W-50 Racing Oil "formulated for NASCAR Cup engines" with big time 1850ppm for ZDDP, but I imagine that its special order and big bucks per quart ????? Perhaps some of you are already using it ??

I also read the Mobil 1 15W-50 is "back by demand" according to the web site and has ZDDP loadings in the 1200-1300 'ish ppm range. I couldnt find it in my local parts stores though but it shoud be reasonably priced ????.

One question I would like answered by the Lube experts here is at what ZDDP depletion level (its used up as the oil ages) is the oil no longer considered safe to run in our flat tappet cams with high spring pressures (700, 800 900 ppm ?) of course thats a mail order oil analysis to find out. Most new oils with SAE SM rating I think are limited to 800 ppm max ????
Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[QUOTEI also read the Mobil 1 15W-50 is "back by demand" according to the web site and has ZDDP loadings in the 1200-1300 'ish ppm range. I couldnt find it in my local parts stores though but it shoud be reasonably priced ????.
][/quote]

This is what I use in my race car, you can get all day,everyday at wally world............fairly reasonable also......

David
Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Oil

So,what are you using?
Jon
Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Redline oils (all, even the 5W-30) are 1,200 to 1,300 ZDDP. I left mine in for a year (1,800 miles) and the ZDDP level did not move. Redline also sells a ZDDP additive for about ten bucks. Using Redline and their additive I'm now at about 1,500 ZDDP.

Don't be using a really thick oil just to get the higher ZDDP lever you're after.

High ZDDP levels in Mobil1 are very expensive.

Bob
Old 05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

There is an inexpensive and readily available alternative to racing oils and synthetics if you're looking for a motor oil with ZDDP in the 1200-1300 ppm range: mixed fleet motor oils such as Chevron Delo LE 15W-40, which are API rated for service in both diesel and gasoline fueled engines. Shell Rotella T and Mobil 1300 would also get 'er done.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Advanced Classic's
Not Ranked     

Most of the diesel oils no longer have enough Zinc in them as new diesel trucks are running Cats as part of the emissions required by Feds. I have a chart from Lucus Oil Products. Using their Engine Break in Additive you can get what you need.

4.9 qts with 4 0z oil = 1,250 ZPPM
4.75 qts + 8oz = 2,500 ZPPM
4.5 qts + 16 oz = 5,000 ZPPM

I'm running 16 oz bottle to 14 qts in my Cobra
Other cars are 5 qt oil pans so mixed accordly.

Hope this might be of some use Happy 4th of July
Thanks a Vet today. Jay
Old 07-04-2011, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default Just buy ZDDP additive

If you buy a ZDDP additive, you can buy any oil you want with no compromise on a good brand, the weight you want, and the price you want. Buying the separate additive gives you complete flexibility. See below:

ZDDPlus - ZDDP Oil Additive for Classic Cars

Rislone Engine Oil Supplement

ZDDP Maxx Classic Car Engine Oil Antiwear Additive - Zinc and Phosphorus Additive

Redline Synthetic Oil Additive for Flat Tappet ZDDP ! | eBay

________
Old 07-04-2011, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

Is there any reason to run or be concerned at all about the ZDDP level in a roller motor?
Old 07-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Mobil 1 15w50

Walmart has the 15w50 most of the time.