SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Starter Problems. Please help!

Hey fellas. I just had my new (to me) SPF delivered and I LOVE IT! However, I have been experiencing some starting problems. It has a push button start and it is a 351 W Holly carbed setup. When I turn the ignition on, I give the throttle a little gas and then hit the button. Immediately I hear a starting noise, then it stops. When I take my finger off the button, I hear a noise again. I'll repeat this process eventually flooring the pedal (because I likely flooded the engine) and after a few button pushes it will sound like a start should, rrrr rrrr rrrr...then Vroom of the engine. Once started it seems to be running a little rich, but nothing too crazy.

So, do I have a bad starter, bad starter connection, or a carburetor problem? Thanks for your help!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Could be a connection to the starter button but sounds like a starter button issue to me.

The running rich could be just a simple carb adjustment or it could be from flooding the engine. Is it running rich just after you start it only or all of the time.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Also check the tightness of your ground wires, especially at the battery. These cars can rattle and loosen cables, etc.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

How did you wire the push start button? Did you use a relay? Are you still using the key to energize the system? What type of push start button did you use? A little more info and a few pics would help
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Is the starter motor operating when the button is pushed? Is it a matter of the starter motor pinion not meshing with the flywheel? If so, look at mechnical parts of the starter and solenoid.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 01-09-2012, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think I have it figured out. When I barely push the button in, it gets the starter going. If I push it in all the way, it does not work properly and makes a quick chirp and that's it. So, that tells me it is probably the button itself. Thanks for the help.