SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 427sharpe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     
Default Front end clunk - now pulling left

I have an original Mustang II front end in my car. The UCA and strut rod bushings were replaced about a year ago with Energy Suspension black (graphite impregnated) urethane bushings and I'm running QA1 coilovers. I had a wheel alignment about 2 months ago and have logged about 500 miles since then.

A couple of days ago I was backing out of my driveway and was rolling a bit quicker than usual when I hit the brakes firmly with the wheels turned to the left. There was a somewhat disconcerting clunk from the right / passenger front suspension and, since then, there is a noticeable increase in negative camber on the right / passenger front wheel and the car pulls to the left.

It seems the most logical explanation is that the UCA mount must have moved - probably inward at the front of the UCA. It's booked into the same alignment shop that last worked on it, but I'd appreciate some expert opinions before heading there next week.

Thoughts?
Old 09-11-2015, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A few things pop to mind. 1) the caliper isn't releasing the pads or the pads are hanging up and slightly dragging. 2) Loose calipers. 3)You may have a collapsed flexible brake line. 4) wheel bearing drag. 5) improper tire inflation...... and on and on.

Were you cutting the wheels at the time?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Think you are correct about upper control arm movement--the Mii's were known for the UCA nuts losing their grip. The serrations on the flange of the nut wear out. Should be easy to check as it probably scraped the mount pretty bad. If not, just compare to other side; they should be about the same as far as location from alignment. Brakes would usually only be a problem when braking unless a caliper locked up by circumstance.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427sharpe View Post
Think you are correct about upper control arm movement--the Mii's were known for the UCA nuts losing their grip. The serrations on the flange of the nut wear out. Should be easy to check as it probably scraped the mount pretty bad. If not, just compare to other side; they should be about the same as far as location from alignment. Brakes would usually only be a problem when braking unless a caliper locked up by circumstance.
If the serrations wear out on the nuts, would replacement nuts with fresh serrations aid in preventing a recurrence? I see Speedway has a kit with 4 T-headed bolts and nuts - is this what I'd need? (Mustang II Upper Control Arm Bolts) It looks like the threads are standard 1/2" x 13 TPI, so I'll check into picking up some nuts. I would also expect a shop specializing in frame and wheel alignment would stock such nuts.

I note the UCA cross shafts have holes, not slots - those are in the spring hats / mounts, so any movement would have to be the UCA cross shaft moving relative to the spring hat. That leads me to believe it may have not been properly tightened with it was last in for the wheel alignment. Make sense?

I drove it about 30 miles after the 'clunk' and detected no signs of a brake dragging. Regardless, the clunk was right front and it would need to be a left front brake to make it pull left.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Those are the nuts, and a good alignment shop will have them IF they still do a lot of Mii front ends; although a .500x13 nut would have many uses, I am sure.
Your logic on the lack of proper torque by the shop makes sense. It is also possible that if the right suspension moved enough it could 'push' the car left just as if you were steering the car to the left. That much movement should be visible to the eye I would imagine (but I don't know how severe the pull/push is, either!). Either way, I hope it's all taken care of without drama and you get back to happy motoring!
Robert
Old 09-12-2015, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     

I don't mean to stick a broom handle in your spokes but I would be suspect of the alignment shop having left one of the lock down nuts loose enough to move. A problem in the front end after someone worked on it really throws up a red flag to me...
Old 09-12-2015, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     

oops, should have read all of the last post. My bad
Old 09-12-2015, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427sharpe View Post
Those are the nuts, and a good alignment shop will have them IF they still do a lot of Mii front ends; although a .500x13 nut would have many uses, I am sure.
Your logic on the lack of proper torque by the shop makes sense. It is also possible that if the right suspension moved enough it could 'push' the car left just as if you were steering the car to the left. That much movement should be visible to the eye I would imagine (but I don't know how severe the pull/push is, either!). Either way, I hope it's all taken care of without drama and you get back to happy motoring!
Robert
Like I wrote earlier, I drove the car about 30 miles and, during that time, it took a steady tug on the steering wheel to keep it from going left. It also turned left a lot easier than it turned right.

Yes, the shift is visible to the naked eye. I just checked the camber on the RF wheel, and it looks like it's about -2°, when it was -0.1° per the last alignment report.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by keezling View Post
I don't mean to stick a broom handle in your spokes but I would be suspect of the alignment shop having left one of the lock down nuts loose enough to move. A problem in the front end after someone worked on it really throws up a red flag to me...
I'm taking it back to the same shop for a couple of reasons: 1) it they missed something or somehow screwed up, they need to fix it; and 2) they have a very good reputation around town. I've dealt with them before, and there has never been an issue with their work.

After 22+ years in the IT services business I understand that everyone can make a mistake, but often the real test is how they deal with it.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post

... I understand that everyone can make a mistake, but often the real test is how they deal with it.
What a refreshing attitude! Good luck!
Robert
Old 09-18-2015, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In and out of the shop on Wednesday, and all is good now. Turns out my assessment was correct, and it seems the UCA cross shaft shifted relative to the spring hat. The front bolt on holding the cross shaft to the top hat must not have been properly tightened during the wheel alignment in July. I don't know whether they put a piece of pipe on the wrench this time, but I tried tightening it further when I got it home and it didn't budge.

BTW, it appears there are serrations are on the bottom of the cross shaft. They're supposed to 'bite' into the mounting surface once the bolt is tightened sufficiently, thereby preventing movement. That's the theory anyway. I guess if the serrations don't hold you replace the cross shaft.