SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ACHiPo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     
Default Ceramic Side-pipe Cleaning

Something melted/baked onto the ceramic-coated passenger side-pipe. I've Googled this topic and searched here. I've tried most of what I've found with no success, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Here's what I've tried so far:
Windex
Soap/water
Goof-Off
Rubbing alcohol
Laquer Thinner
Scotchbrite
0000 Steel wool

While the steel wool polished the ceramic a bit, it didn't touch the baked-on crud. A few more things I have in my arsenal, but have been hesitant to try:
Lacquer thinner or Goof-Off with steel wool
Flitz metal polish
Rubbing compound/ Random Orbit polisher
Wire wheel
Oven cleaner

From the SPF SPOC site and manual, the ceramic coating is pretty tough, and can withstand some abrasion, e.g. steel wool, but I'd rather not damage it.

I know one person on here recommended blue Wenol, which I've never used, but sounds a lot like Flitz. Another thing I decided not to try is to get the pipes nice and hot and put ice on the crud--just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Suggestions?

Last edited by ACHiPo; 04-27-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Old 04-27-2017, 11:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2234 Diamond Edition, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Hi!

Had the same problem:
Removing plastic from sidepipes

Peter
Old 04-28-2017, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SP100 with steel wool--nothing
Tried acetone and steel wool--nada
MEK with steel wool--nope
Flitz with steel wool--a little progress
Screwdriver to scrape the black stuff--definitely getting somewhere

The brown residue seems stuck for good (maybe a little better after my efforts), but the black streak was pretty effectively removed with the screwdriver. Unfortunately the screwdriver also lightly gouged the ceramic coating--not terrible, but not great either.

Before:

I'll try to post an "after" picture this weekend. I thought I took one but can't find it on my phone.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

maybe a propane torch to heat the residue then steel wool
Old 04-29-2017, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

I had the same issue when I bought my car... the previous owner had touched the driver's side pipe with his tennis shoe and left a little rubber residue. I used Cerma-Glow to get it off... worked like a champ. A little bit goes a long way... and it's made for ceramic coatings.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cci-cghp6
Old 04-29-2017, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update: Thanks to a suggestion by FWB and NOSEddie, I hit the spots with a propane torch and buffed with 0000 steel wool. Worked great!
Attached Images

Last edited by ACHiPo; 05-01-2017 at 12:45 PM..
Old 05-01-2017, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, not only did I figure out a way to clean the pipes, this morning I discovered where the schmutz came from--I now have melted car cover on both sides. I was able to scrape most of it off, but will be back at it tonight with steel wool and heat.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent car cover that has heat-resistant material on the rocker panel areas? I called California Car Cover and they will make a cover, send it to me to mark-up, then I need to send it back to them to add the heat-resistant material. Seems like a lot of work, especially when Harley Davidson covers come with heat-resistant material in the pipe area.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Uhhhh, you know most of us just wait for the pipes to cool off before putting anything over the car. For me, an old bed sheet has worked quite well for many years....
Old 05-02-2017, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhhhh, you know most of us just wait for the pipes to cool off before putting anything over the car. For me, an old bed sheet has worked quite well for many years....
Guess I need to rethink using it as a commuter car--I waited 5 minutes when I pulled into the parking lot at work, which was enough time when it was 50F, but obviously not enough when it's 70F

The good news it that it only took about a minute with steel wool when I got home last night to get the goo off the hot pipes.

The search continues...
Old 05-06-2017, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

hard to say but......i'm with Patrick, , i use flannel sheets as a cover, queen size.
i can put them on hot too, they don't droop to the pipes
Old 05-08-2017, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Well, not only did I figure out a way to clean the pipes, this morning I discovered where the schmutz came from--I now have melted car cover on both sides. I was able to scrape most of it off, but will be back at it tonight with steel wool and heat.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent car cover that has heat-resistant material on the rocker panel areas? I called California Car Cover and they will make a cover, send it to me to mark-up, then I need to send it back to them to add the heat-resistant material. Seems like a lot of work, especially when Harley Davidson covers come with heat-resistant material in the pipe area.
First of all I would not cover the car after a drive, I would let it coll off over night before covering it. IN the past a plastic bag on the road got stuck to my side pipes and it was a bear to clean off the ceramic coating. I used the flitz and a slow buffering dremmel tool wheel and it all came off. remember that the ceramic coating withstands a lot of heat . I don't think flitz would damage the finish. IMHO.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAsque1 View Post
First of all I would not cover the car after a drive, I would let it coll off over night before covering it. IN the past a plastic bag on the road got stuck to my side pipes and it was a bear to clean off the ceramic coating. I used the flitz and a slow buffering dremmel tool wheel and it all came off. remember that the ceramic coating withstands a lot of heat . I don't think flitz would damage the finish. IMHO.
I had the same experience with a plastic bag on my side pipe. Flitz wouldn't do anything by it self. I had to use a propane torch to soften it, sand it with 600 grit sand paper reheat it and then polish it with the flitz. The final result came out well.
By the way I bought the cerma glow polish and used it for the first time this weekend. The results were no better than the flitz. Save your $'s and use any metal polish.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
BAsque1,
Letting the car sit overnight is not practical in this case as I drove it in the morning to work. I may just use the tonneau in the future, however, or come back out after it cools for an hour or so. There doesn't seem to be any heat resistant cover available for Cobras, which I find pretty strange given how readily available they are for motorcycles.

The good news is that the goo basically wipes right up with steel wool when the pipes are hot.
AC
Old 05-11-2017, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
BAsque1,
Letting the car sit overnight is not practical in this case as I drove it in the morning to work. I may just use the tonneau in the future, however, or come back out after it cools for an hour or so. There doesn't seem to be any heat resistant cover available for Cobras, which I find pretty strange given how readily available they are for motorcycles.

The good news is that the goo basically wipes right up with steel wool when the pipes are hot.
AC
OK i hear you I would never drive it work, now I am retired. Funny the last time I had the plastic bag stuck to my side pipes I drove the car to work that day---not a happy camper. Have you try California Covers they might be able to help you with the cover you want.
Lou
Old 05-11-2017, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
OK i hear you I would never drive it work, now I am retired. Funny the last time I had the plastic bag stuck to my side pipes I drove the car to work that day---not a happy camper. Have you try California Covers they might be able to help you with the cover you want.
Lou
California Covers will sell me a cover that I can then install and measure/mark, send back, and they will add the heat-resistant material. Not worth the hassle.

I drove the car to work again today. Left it with just the tonneau cover on from 7-8, then went outside for 5 min between meetings to put the cover on and the pipes were cool to the touch.
BAsque1 likes this.