SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-30-2002, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     
Default Optima battery date codes

Stupid question here, but does anyone know how to decipher the date codes on the Optima batteries? Two local shops have some on the shelves with date codes like "1 310". One of the salesmen told me that the first number is the year (in this case, 2001) and the second number is the day (in this case, some time in November). This would mean that the particular battery is almost 6 months old. I haven't been able to find any with later numbers. What's the straight scoop?
Old 03-30-2002, 08:53 AM
I'm a bonehead!
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The straight poop is don't buy one.
I've had three. The first was replaced for free when it wouldn't hold a charge...3 months old. The second ditto wouldn't hold a charge, but was replaced by a third by a shop that gave me such a deal (they thought) when they replaced the battery during an alternator upgrade. This third one is crap too, even at 33% of list.
JMO
Old 03-30-2002, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     

Well, that's very good input, and I thank you for that. I know several folks who have them, and they seem to be divided into two camps. Some think that Optimas are the greatest thing to come along since canned beer, and the others are agreeing with you because of failures. I was gravitating towards the Optima because the "Orange top" model has the little feet to clamp the battery down in the tray, and I wouldn't have to do any modification on the battery tray. The other option is to drill a couple of holes and install a set of J-clamps but I didn't want to do that unless it was necessary. I talked with the ERA folks and they are using the Optima Orange Top now, but installing them in the trunk instead of in the engine compartment like on my car.

What about the Exide "Select" version? I understand from some of the local dealers that they have stopped carrying Optima and are featuring the Exide Select, which I understand to be similar "spiral wrap" technology. Anybody have experience with them? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

I have 2 Optima batteries (Interstate Brand). One is 14 months old and the other is 20 months old. No problems whatsoever. I guess maybe I am lucky. Later, David Shelton.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Re optima batteries

I have a red top optima battery in my Cobra and I put it in the car in April 1997. I have never had any trouble with it and must be one of the lucky ones. My date code isn't anything like yours. Mine has every mohnth listed and then the years 96, 97, 98, 99, &00. When I installed it I just took the April tab out and also the 97 tab.

Ron61
Old 04-01-2002, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

Optima's (as well as any AGM type battery) will tolerate anything but overcharging. Overcharging boils away capacity that never comes back. Unsophisticated voltage regulators will destroy an Optima in record time.