SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     
Question enclosed trailer interiors

I just traded my open trailer for an enclosed one. My Mustang will withstand a little rain while trailering, but the Cobra needs a drier home away from home.
The interior walls appear to be paneled in thin mahogany plywood, with a plywood floor. I'm planning on painting and finishing the walls and floor, and would like to solicit suggestions on what to use. I'm thinking plain old house paint in white for the walls and ceiling. What should I use for the floor and ramp?
DougD
Old 05-08-2002, 10:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

I had the checkboard floor that was made from vinyl and it didn't last for crap....I bought some diamond plate in 4x8 sheets for like $70/sheet and it went down great....no more problems. Personally I wouldn't worry about the walls...get some banners to hang on them.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 05-08-2002, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Matt
The walls are sort of a dark mahogany finish, and I want to lighten them up so it's not soooooo dark inside. Hence the white paint.

Was your checkerboard floor made from the vinyl self-stick tiles? I wondered how they might hold up (or not).
Old 05-08-2002, 12:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Nope it was a large sheet of Vinyl....it only took 1 antifreeze spill and some oil and it was a gonner...lasted about 1 year.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 05-08-2002, 02:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star, 351-c
Not Ranked     

I used semi gloss interior paint in my trailer interior.Really brightened it up, been in there for 2 years, haven't even touched it up. Cheapie Wal Mart or Kmart paint works fine. Also, I tiled the floor in checkerboard, glue soaked into the plywood floor, had to remove it, reglue, and replace the tiles. Waay too much free time on my hands!
Old 05-08-2002, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug D,
My experience with painting paneling is that it is a PITA. The best results I have had is by priming with KILs or similar product and then using the house paint. It takes 2 coats butthe advantage it that it only takes 2 coats to cover the walls.
Chas
Old 05-09-2002, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the help guys!
Doug
Old 05-09-2002, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: in the search, engine 351 Windsor
Send a message via ICQ to Ken Greene
Not Ranked     

if there is a finish on the wood walls be sure to give it a light sanding with somthing along the line of 220 paper just to give the finish some tooth otherwise you will have problems of some pealing at somepoint.
Been a wood worker and old home restorer for 20 years.... been through it all
Old 05-09-2002, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Smile

Most enclosed trailer interiors are 'paneled' (if you will) with 3/8 inch luan paneling. It takes most paints well, but it will really suck up some paint with the first coat. Mine's been painted with cheapie white interior latex...looks good after three years. But, as pointed out by CMansfield, KILZ would help seal it better as the latex did allow some of the resins to bleed through, but not bad. Certainly the ease of clean-up with latex outweighs the disadvanates of the bleed through - in my opinion, anyway.

As for the floor, mine's been coated with Rhino-Hide pick-up truck bed liner. It provides a non-slip surface and keeps moisture, coolant, oil, etc, from soaking in to the plywood. I've also got two strips of ATP down for the car to ride on. Neither are cheap, but you can buy some of the roll-on pick-up truck bead liner stuff fairly cheap and do-it-yourself. I have no experience with their longevity, however... they may not last a fartin' spell.

Check out the picture of my trailer in the photo gallery. Pace American 20' Shadow model.
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

Flyin Freddie..is your surge tank an Olthoff aluminum tank ? bill, spf 156.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Doug D,

The Rhino, or bed liner materials work great. I mean great! Will out live the trailer, and if it is necessary to touch up a section, it's easily done.

Z-Bart can spray it, you can buy kits and do it yourself, or look in the phone book for more suppliers. I have two suggestions:

Dont use any liner that is rough textured - reall pain to lay down on when your tying up your car.

Bring it up the walls about a foot or two - this will totally seal the trailer from the invariable floor gaps, sealing out all dirt and dust.

Painting the walls with least two coats of white will make a huge difference.

You can even do the floor in multi colors if you want!

Just my 2-cents..

DV 300 Cobras are NOT enough! Are you registered?
Old 05-09-2002, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just purchased a 8.5 X 18 enclosed trailer. I will be making my first trip with it to DVSFII...so DV I'll be looking you up for advice on doing the interior along with everyone else there. I like the idea of using the diamond plate on the floor and painting the wall white to brighten things up. I'll not only look at other cobras for ideas, but the trailers too.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Talking New trailer

I have the 15 mil marble layed in my new trailer.

Great Asp
Old 05-09-2002, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Genuine original Unique MotorCars 427 S/C, with a Genuine original Ford 427 Side-oiler.
Send a message via Yahoo to Cobranut
Not Ranked     

Doug,

I painted the floor when I first got the trailer, before it had anything loaded in it.
I used an oil based floor and deck enamel, in a medium grey gloss. Thin the first coat and use it as a sealer, then brush the second coat on and let it dry for about two weeks. It has held up great.
If you want a non-skid surface, they make a sandy additive to mix in the paint, or the truck bedliner would work also.

Mine has the luan paneling on the walls, with a white vinyl ceiling. I finally got around to painting the walls with white exterior gloss latex. It really brightned up the interior, but I still got some bleed-through even after two coats. (Heck, it ain't the living room.)

Jeez, even our trailers are projects.

Later,
Old 05-10-2002, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Smile

Yes, Bill...that's the Olthoff designed tig-welded surge tank. I've since used some Mother's Metal Polish on it and it looks chromed, now. I didn't take it off the car, though, but just polished it as it was mounted. I plan on removing it to really polish it up sometime in the future, but probably not before DVSF.2.

Speaking of Double Venon....Ed's got a good idea about bringing the Rhino-Hide up the sidewalls a little - say 2 inches, or so. I didn't put mine down, the former owner did, so I didn't have any input. But, it looks professional, works well, and seems to be holding up well. Bringing it up the walls some would indeed seal the floor/wall joints better and would be worth considering.

FWIW...I've seen some trailers that have been finished with linoleum tiles, too. The only caveat I've seen is that sometimes the tiles pull up when the car is placed on them and then tied down. This seems to put some side load on the tiles, and had caused some of them to pull loose. They're easy to put back down, but I wonder if there's something else that can be done to prevent this from happening. My friend, Ron Frohs (SPF#723) had this problem, and he installed some 24x24" ATP squares right where the tires contact the floor. Seems to have solved the problem.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this. You'll have a lot of trailers to look at when you go to DVSF.2, so your idea is on target! Look for me...my trailer's got big Flyin' Freddie graphics on the side of it. Hope we can hook up...
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, 351W
Not Ranked     

If you use the oil base KILZ make sure its well ventilated or don't operate heavy equipment for about 5 daze! The latex base Kilz cleans up easier and is pretty much odor free.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Ain't THAT truth, Okiesnake...! I don't think KILZ is oil-based though...smells more like a lacquer-based product. Either way, the fumes will really knock you out - oil or lacquer based. I would definitely make sure the area is well ventilated. Use one of those 20" box fans, if you can. Can't hurt....
Old 05-15-2002, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the opinions, guys. I'm now thinking about some sort of smooth Rhino liner for the floor and good ol' white latex for the walls. And of course the obligatory Cobra posters, banners, etc. for the walls.
Doug
Old 05-15-2002, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Walls

Great Asp(Eric) are the walls in that trailer painted or are they covered with sheel Aluminum...looks pretty spiffy with that marble tile...kinda like a little Roman touch....or maybe Greek...just need a spa and you would be set..
Old 05-15-2002, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Wink Marble floors, but no columns

The marble is a sheet material, supposed to be very tough. 15 mil thick, they make a 10 mil thick also.

The walls are sheet aluminum as you suspected. When my wife found out what I paid for the trailer, she ask me to move into it!... (jk)

Eric