SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2002, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1231 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Hal,

It sounds like you are describing motorcycle touring! One of the really nice features of the cobra is the large windscreen that you can hide behind in the rain. And the heater! Imagine a racing car with an optional heater. Well, moving up to a classic sports/racing car has been a treat for me. My old Ducati would fail to start occasionally, never protect me from the rain and did a piss poor job of keeping my legs and chest warm on those high passes. The Superformance rates a 12+ just in rider comfort.

And the trunk! Have you seen all the room in there?
Old 08-29-2002, 05:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Hey Allen:
Love this car! My two biggest complaints are the parking brake (useless) and steering wheel shake at highway speed. Both of these problems seem to affect a lot of cars. Other than that it's a 10.

Bob
Old 08-30-2002, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question FOCS brings up an interesting point

For those of us who are shopping around, FOCS makes a valid point regarding Superformance and that SCOF (?) forum thingee.

I'm sure that Superformance has their share of problems along with the other manufacturers. But why do owners discuss them only in this scof forum? What is so bad that can't be discussed here?

I want to learn as much as possbile before I make my ultimate decision. Is this too much to ask? Paul.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 678
Send a message via AIM to cobrap51d Send a message via Yahoo to cobrap51d
Not Ranked     

Bean-Tower,
Now you have me thinking ?? hmm....
Old 08-30-2002, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

FOCS-a valid point?Nope.
The private forum is just a perc.Nothing more nothing less.
It is also a forum for us SPF types to yack with each other without posting to a board.
To say that the SCOF is used for discussing only problems(which your post STRONGLY suggests)is ridiculous at best.

I have car #126,which is the first series.There have been many improvements in subsequent series.
Repeatedly,my car has been accused of being a "real" one.

It has also induced women(3 to be exact)to hit on me while my girlfriend was standing or sitting next to me.'Nuff said.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

Cobrabill ~ the point that I was trying to make and please keep in mind that this is and always has been MY opinion and MY opinion only, is that I felt there was not enough information here or anywhere else on the SPF cars. By information I am not talking about available colors and car options, but hard information about the cars. Information that usually only an owner could provide.

Furthermore, if a forum, such as the one that you belong to would open its doors to these very people, people such as Bean-Towner, people who love cobras as much and you and I, they would see that the Superformance Cobra is a superb and wonderful car to own. It would also show them the comeradarie (sp?) enjoyed by Superformance owners throughout the country.

In closing, and please correct me if I am wrong Cobrabill, but dosen't your forum have a web-page available where non-members can ask questions???

Brian
"the guy formerly known as FOCS"
Old 08-31-2002, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bean towner.....I have a 700 series SPF purchased new in 2000.5000 mi,many 400 mi trips and never a breakdown.I'm constantly tweaking or upgrading...cuz I want to.When one treats ownership of a car like we have as a hands on hobby the upgrading and tweakig is fun....and is insurance to minimize problems.SCOF is a valuable resource that gives SPF owners heads up info re others issues that allow each of us to share upgrade ideas and problems B4 they may hit the individual....I'ts a resource provided privately (not funded by SPF). I too looked extensivly B4 purchase and considered all mfgs incl SAI AL- bodied...went w/ SPF cuz I wanted (IMHO) a top qual product in volume production, mfg. in factory enviorment with variable being drivetrain that I could control...also wanted hardtop and a/c (installed the a/c myself) btw works great and provids REAL HEAT and DEF...cant do this to many other brands...no room. Believe me all makes have probs. One hears a little here re their probs cuz issues are broad and no one is going to flame their brand unless they are really bull.SPF has sold maby 1400 cars, many resales ...the few real problems such as the rear lower A arm were handled by factory as a recall, covered regardless of warantee and repair allowed wherever the owner wanted compensated by dealer...pretty good!!!!!STEVE

STEVE CIOFFI
Old 08-31-2002, 07:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Car is 10+. Parking brakes, fuel guages can all be fixed/modified. That is half the fun of owning these things. I own #250 with a monster Big Block, and the smiles per mile exceed everything I have, except in 99 degree weather. FOCS, how can you comment on something you have never particpated in?
Old 08-31-2002, 07:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ToyCollector ~ I am not sure what you are referring to, but I will try to answer anway.

As I mentioned, MY opinion and MY opinion only.

I did participate in trying to gather information on Superformance cars prior to purchasing mine.

I have been told by the forum members that there is comeradarie amonst the ranks.

I was told there is a web page for non-owners to ask questions.

Please let me know if I am missing something here.

Thanks!!

Brian
Old 08-31-2002, 08:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Sorry Brian,

I meant to phrase that for Bean-Towner. I have been on the SCOF forum for about 60 days, and it is more about comradarie and sharing performance tips, suspension settings, etc. I doubt folks want all that discussed on CC, and that is one of the reasons why SCOF is it's own thing and always will be. If people want to check it out, no problem, just buy a SPF and register
Old 08-31-2002, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In response to some of the comments about SCOF in this thread I have created an open e-mail group that can be used by all. This is a group that anybody can join and share in whatever manner they choose.

So now there is an open method for individuals to have access to SPF owners. I doubt this will change how SPF owners communicate about their cars and the people supporting them.

Group name :
myspf

Group home page :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/myspf

Group email :
myspf@yahoogroups.com
Old 08-31-2002, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy This is disturbing

FOCS/bnewell (I take it you are one and the same),

While you are not a member of SCOF, I thank you for your "opinion." I agree with you, it would be nice if SCOF would open their doors to us Cobra wanna-bees. You say there is not enough information about Superformance available to the public (here or elsewhere). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this is true. Potential customers, like myself, want the "real skinny" on these cars BEFORE we buy.
But what do I hear ? Buy a Superformance FIRST, pay a lot of money FIRST, and then you can join SCOF....and presto chango, all will be revealed to you. Seems like we our putting the cart in front of the horse here. Paul.

cobrap51d,

Thank you for your offer to join your Superformance group. At least I won't have to buy a car to join. HAHA. By the way, do you and the others belong to SCOF, as well ? Paul.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Paul-it's time to get your hearing checked.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ToyCollector ~ apology accepted......thanks BTW, great garage!!

Bean-Towner ~ while I am not currently a SCOF member, I have submitted my application. I also know where you are coming from, but since this subject has already been beat to death, it is probably wise to just let it go.

Brian "been there....done that" Newell
SPF #1299
Old 08-31-2002, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bean-Towner,
I'm trying to get setup with SCOF. According to Randall there were some filters changed that prevented him from getting 20 or so registrations. He is activley working on this problem.

I too have been doing the reasearch on SPF and other cars. I did this without the use of SCOF. I've been researching Cobras for at least 7 years possibly closer to 10. I have stacks of old stuff and binders full of junk that is outdated. It's kind of nice to look back through my research documents and know I did a good job.

My research always leads me back to SPF. It is exactly what I wanted. My next car will probably be a cobra also. I want to build a Factory Five Spec racer. Due to all the research I have done I'm confident in any Cobra purchase I make.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bean-Tower,

Check out Cobra Country. Check out the following link. Do you own this book. If you don't you haven't been looking hard enough. Have you talked to anybody at Factory Five, Lone Star, Superoformance, Dynamic MotorSports, Top of the hill, House of Cobras, ERA, Shell Valley etc. etc. etc. If you haven't talked to these people you are just begining. Don't spend a whole bunch of time worrying about scof. Move on with your dream.

I can tell you , you will have some difficulties. You might have a problem with anyone of the vendors mentioned above. I've had problems with the best ones mentioned on this list. That's life, that's business. Move on don't get stuck in the problem. There are enough resources out there that will help you make an accurate decission based on your dream.
http://www.cobracountry.com/cobrabk.html