SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2002, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Header Project Progress and Pics...

Headers are one of the last big projects on our build. After dropping the engine in our older Everette Morrison frame 2 inches, no off-the-shelf headers would fit, so we decided to build our own. We also wanted 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" stepped primaries that were around 34" long, as well as a standard 3 bolt flange on the collector so we can try different muffler/turnout combos.

Progress has been steady and we now have about $250 in materials and about 40 hours invested. Here are a few pictures showing the progress so far:

http://www.pbase.com/mjb2/cobra_headers

All I can say after building these so far is that any set of nicely constructed headers and sidepipes for under a grand is one heck of a bargain . Haha! Actually it's been a pretty fun project so far. And it's always nice to get some more practive with the old TIG machine . We still have to weld up the 1-7/8" primaries, build a pair of collectors and decide on mufflers (probably from Lucien and Arizona Exhaust. I'll post some more pics when we finish them up.

Have a great week.

Mike
Old 09-17-2002, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

Mike

Nicely done!! After playing around with some headers myself I can realy appreciate what you've done there. Looks like you've got it figured out.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just a suggestion, or idea to consider:
Bungs for temp sensor in each header tube round-abouts 7" down from the flange.
HiTemp Ceramic coating...after all this work and effort, you might want them to last a while and look good too when you explain them.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, Boss 351 w/ TKO 5 speed, 94 vette suspension
Not Ranked     

Mike,
I'm curious, How hard is it going to be to get those headers off the car after the car is assembled? I made my headers as well, but made the split line between the headers and the side pipes just inside the body. I know removing them still is not an easy job as short as they are.
Tim
A Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, The Sort of House I Lived In, or The Kind of Car I drove, But The World May Be Different Because I Was Important In The Life of A Child.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

Nice job. Like you, I had to build the 2" headers for my 351C / 4v heads Cobra, so I know what you are going through. I had about 60 man hours in them and I used a set of side pipes from Shell Valley so all I had to build was the primaries. I coated them myself with Cermachrome from Tech Line Coatings. Sure hope I don't have to build another set anytime soon. Glad you are TIG welding them- the only way to go! Later, David.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Default Lucked out

I found a company (Southwest Performance) that had digitized the normal SPF 1-3/4 tube headers, and is making 2" stainless steel headers and side pipes. I bought the headers only, which only lost 1 HP on the dyno over "sprint car" headers with 2" tubes.

They are beautiful, and the bends are perfect. They do run hotter than if they were Jet-Hot coated.

Great Asp
Old 09-18-2002, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks the for nice comments guys.

ST,

I think I've just about got it under control as long as I can keep everything from moving around while I weld on the 1-7/8" primaries and the collectors . The final matter will be building the collectors, as I haven't been able to find any that fit the tubes properly. The ones in the pictures were dented pretty poorly when I received them, but for $12 each, they worked great for fixturing everything while doing the rest of the work.

Siz,

I'm either going to put a pair of O2 sensor bungs in the collectors or in two of the primaries closer to the head. Probably the later so I can get a more accurate measurement. I don't think I need EGT bungs, as the engine is pretty mild and I think I can tune it well enough by monitoring the AFR and reading the plugs. Yes, they will be ceramic coated when we're done.

Tim,

I thought about that for a long time before deciding to go this unconventional route. I didn't have room for the 4 into 4 flange like EM or Enzo sell due to an extended drv's side footbox. And I didn't want slip fit joints as I felt they would eventually leak and wouldn't provide the support I desired for the sidepipes. And I wanted a way to replace just the muffler section if I don't like the sound or am not happy with the performance. This method meets all those requirements and guarantees no leaks with the 3/8" thick 3 bolt flanges I made. With the car jacked up about 10" (ie normal working height in our shop) the headers drop right out very easily in about 5 minutes each side. So I'm real happy with this configuration.

Kountz,

My old pipes had 2" primaries but they were just too big for my little 2V motor . How do you like the Cermachrome coating?

Great Asp,

Those certainly sound like a nice set of pipes. I went with mild steel for the price and since it will run cooler than stainless once they're coated (at least, I hope ). I'm sure that 418 likes those 2" pipes too. That must be one scary ride! I also didn't personally care for all the sidepipes that have the perfectly matched bends on the sidepipes where they pass though the body. Hence I ended up with something closer to the Harris sprint car style arrangement if you look closely.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Braddock; 09-18-2002 at 07:26 AM..
Old 09-18-2002, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Beautiful work Mike!

You and your Dad are fine craftsmen.......

Will you have that beast ready for the next Gainesville track day in January (18th)?

Mike
Old 09-18-2002, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

Thanks for the compliment but I think it's more likely that we just have too much time on our hands and a very nice TIG welder . We are really shooting for finishing the car in time to drive it out to the event, but it won't be sorted in time for us to enter the event. We would be elated just to be able to show up out there in our car! Were you at the last even Mike? Are you going to this one? Tell me a little about your EM. Thanks!

Mike