SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2002, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2003 Ford Cobra Mustang
Send a message via ICQ to LateApex Send a message via AIM to LateApex
Not Ranked     
Default Non-Cobra tranny question--blasphemy I am sure

Don't spend much time on this, I just figure someone may know off the top of their head. I am building a 392 Hemi motor for a streetrod project. I can get tranny adaptors for either Chrysler or Chevy/GM style manual trannies from one particular source.

I want to run a 6 speed if I can. Ideally a Richmond 6 speed (new improved version of the Doug Nash 5 speed--they bought the tooling), also a T56, or ZF ( from the pre-94 Vettes, a little too bulky though) may work.

Does anyone know if the Richmond would support the bolt patterns on a bellhousing adaptor made for a GM or Chrysler manual tranny? Are there any sites that one can reference for tranny interchangeability etc? I obviously realize the drive shaft will be custom for this app, and the clutch set up may or may not be a one-off.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

You may try Keisler (sp?) Engineering for a bellhousing to fit. Hays may also have a non-SFI approved bellhousing for you. Clutch set-up should be easy. Matching the input shaft to crankshaft bushing/bearing may be. I am sure a performance machine shop could drill and machine the proper bolt pattern for you also.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Sallee Chevrolet sell a T56 with an adaptor plate that will bolt up to a standard Chev bellhousing.

check it out http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/BorgWarner/t56pics.html

Cheers

Old 10-21-2002, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I love this site. Thanks guys. Seems you each have a piece of my puzzle--one Mopar powered, the other with one of the trannys I am thinking of. Aussie Mike, your car will win the driveability award--that will be a nice set up.

I am glad, as the Sallee Chevy link may be useful down the road for someone with a Cobra. My Cobra is a BB 427 with a 4spd toploader, so none of this one-off stuff came up before.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Ain't this site good, I've gotten so much info from people on here. It sure makes the build easier when you know there are a bunch of people to answer your questions only a few keystrokes away.

What sort of Rod is the hemi going into? always been a fan of that motor myself. Looks powerful just sitting there.

Cheers

Old 10-21-2002, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

LateApex - why Re-invent the wheel? 392 Hemis have the smallblock tranny bolt pattern and most rod guys use a 904/727 smallblock pattern torque-flight if memory serves me right. If that is so, and I think it is, a performance smallblock bellhousing will bolt right up and and a Chrysler 4 speed common on 340 and 273 performance cars of the 60's and 70's will fit, though I seem to remember something about cutting down the input shafts of trannys to make them fit by one inch. Try calling ;
www.hothemiheads.com to get the straight scoop. They sell tranny adapters too if I recall, and I don't recall right.

cobrashoch

Last edited by cobrashoch; 10-22-2002 at 01:00 AM..
Old 10-22-2002, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron, I think he is looking for a 6-speed tranny. But if he wants an 833, Brewers Performance in OH has some. Keisler makes a complete setup including a TKO II 5 speed for just under 3 grand. Includes new bearings for the crankshaft, machined bellhousing, correct spacing and everything. Hays makes a bellhousing NOT SFI approved with a T-10 bolt pattern and spacing. That will require a different bushing/bearing on the crank.

On a side note, the 904 is the biggest piece of crap since the dinosaurs died.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well after a day's worth of digging, Seems Hot Hemi Heads and a company called Calpana can come up with what I need.

calpana is at www.wilcap.com
Old 10-23-2002, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Flipper - Right on about the 904. I have a friend that is using a 904 that had a big block pattern welded on the front of the housing from a old 727. Runs it in "B" stock and that car runs its index and better. He's not touched that tranny in 4 years that I know of either. Does make you think, doesn't it? Remember, there was a time a few years ago that low gear sets could only be had for 904's
cobrashoch
Old 10-23-2002, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I blew up 2 904's in 2 different cars. On the street running on twisty back roads, lots of shifting, neither were very strong cars.