SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2003, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: .
Not Ranked     

is there normally a noticable difference between the size of the hole in the end of a 55 idle jet to a 50 idle jet?
Old 05-06-2003, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

Nope....
Old 05-06-2003, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: .
Not Ranked     

so why do the 55's i put in my carbs look heaps bigger??
Old 05-07-2003, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

Hmmmm.....that doesn't sound right.....

I was just comparing the 50s and 55s this past weekend as I was rechecking my setup and I didn't notice a discernable difference in the size of the passage between the two.

Where did you get the jets from? It's possible they were misidentified I suppose (although not likely), or maybe they are similar looking jets made for a different model carb?

Mike

It's also possible that someone else may have taken a drill to the jets and "opened them up" rather than buy new ones....

Last edited by Mike I; 05-07-2003 at 08:16 AM..
Old 05-07-2003, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Porting the intake can cause a stumble due to loss of velocity in the intake runners. Now you have a longer dead spot for the accellerator pumps to overcome before the boosters have fuel drawn from them. I am noe very familiar with Webers, but you might not need a large volume of pump shot, but a smaller squirter orifice to lengthen the pump shot duration.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

Hey Fixit, I was thinking of getting a regulated electronic pump for the new engine. Carbed, what pressure should it be set to? Or should I stick with mechanical and get a regulator for that?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2003, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

3-6 psi, assuming a Holley. Any more than 6psi and it will overpower the needle and seat valve that the floats regulate. Reguardless of pump, regulate pressure as near to the carb as possible.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Reg near the carb and either pump is fine. Do you have a preference on mech or elec pumps?
Old 05-08-2003, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I run a mech pump on my motor, but it's a chevy so it needed the lightweight pump pushrod cause it was running out of fuel at 1000 feet into the quarter mile. Now it is fine. Electric pumps seem to crap out much more frequntly. Mech pumps heat up the fuel though. Mech pumps are much quieter than electric, and cheaper too. I like mech pumps, but cobra owners like the electric pump because they have that switch on the dash.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was just going to connect the pump to the ignition switch. If a high volume mech works, i'll stay with it in the new motor. You motor is bigger'n mine anyway. Do you prefer any brand over another, such as Carter, Holley, Slim Jim's Fuel Pump Emporium?
Old 05-08-2003, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been running the same Holley mech pump since '91 and it was used when given to me. Still have that diaphram rebuild kit I thought I would need but haven't yet.