SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2003, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Question Mumford Bar?

I'm wondering if anyone else but 750(Craig) knows what a MUMFORD BAR is ? As l've never heard of it ,related to rear suspensions. Any input would be great. Paul
Old 05-11-2003, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mummford link, basically a variation of the Watts link. I've seen very few. One had the centre rocker mounted on the chassis, and another had it mounted to the rear axle housing. One of the Super Seven MFGs uses a Mummford link on their cars.Side to side axle movement is slight in a cobra do to the limited rear suspension travel on a cobra so a panhard bar is usually the way to go.There is a variation that I saw once on a Super Modified Circle track car, that supposidly transfered weight from the outside rite rear tire ,to the left front. I have this particulare settup on one of my Daytona Coupes, when I get it running ,I'll let you know how it works.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Mr.Bruce, Thanks for the info ,i had thought it was some sort of watts link setup but wasn't sure,i'm running a 4 link rear but hadn't settled on a lateral stablizer (ie.watts or Panhard).Good luck with the coupes and please do let us know how that setup works.
regards Paul
Old 05-11-2003, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

Nah it's a bar where chevy owners hang out they are mum on Fords!!
Old 05-13-2003, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Paul,
It takes me a while, but I eventually find out when people mention my name

What I liked about the Mumford Bars was the ability to adjust the roll centre. Here's a photo of a sports racer (Mallock) with the Mumford. you can see the two outer 6061T6 bars coming together in a "V" shape. The point at which they would intersect is the roll centre.

I haven't yet adjusted my car to feel the difference, but it's something that i will be playing with over the next couple of months.

Here's the new Superformance Super 7 replica, also with the Mumford.....
Old 05-14-2003, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Craig the pic's are great,is there much to setting it up and applying to the cobra ,your chasis i noticed you are running the the 4 link to the rear any chance of a photo of your application .Is there any particular reference material I could read ,as I am yet to find this setup anywhere, again thanks for the photos.
P.S. The car looks great, that hood is awesome ,I think Australia Post might well be interested, SPONSORSHIP Maybe????

Regards Paul
Old 05-14-2003, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul,
AC Andy and Aussie Mike have been up to look at the car in the last week or so. It's about time you came up to Brisbane, isn't it?

I've attached a photo of my Mumford bars while the car was sitting in the paint shop. It's a shocking photo, but it's the only one that I could find.....

I'll get a hold of Ray Mallock's book that outlines all changes available, and the likely outcome of tweaking the rear suspension.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2003, 03:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Veddy Veddy interestink.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig,
The first chance i get i'll certainly be up there.

Was the setup simple to engineer with regards to positioning?

Ray Mallock's book is it widely available?Is along the lines of the Herb Adams chassis design book I found it easy to relate too.

Catchya soon Paul

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-17-2003, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul,
I only just noticed your latest post on here - sorry! The guy that decided that the Mumford would work best for my application is racing at Oran Park this weekend, but I'll get the Mallock book on Tuesday. This book isn't like Carroll Smith's books, rather it's a build manual for the Mallock line of sports racing cars. I'll scan the relevant info, and email it to you.

Hope you're doing OK,

Craig
Old 05-17-2003, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Craig,
Thanks mate ,any info would be great back into it sunday.
Regards Paul
Old 05-17-2003, 05:30 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

I belive that Roush put a Mumford link on the Boss Mustang they built for Ford with an electronic fuel injected Boss 429 (that was closer to 500 cid).

I would also love to see what Mallock wrote about the Mumford link. Just before Ray Mallock died he wrote an article in Race Car Engineering about live rear axles. In it he discused the Mumford link, Watts link as well as the Panhard bar. I will see if I can find it.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom - you've reminded me about that article. Now I can't remember if it was Race Car Engineer or Racetech magazine.... both fantastic magazines that leave most other "car tech" magazines for dead!!! I'll also have a dig around to see what comes up. That Mustang was a bit of a weapon also, from memory it came about after GM started building a 600ish cube Camaro a few years back, didn't it?

Paul - the chassis and suspension were built before I had the fuel cell, swirl pot, pumps etc in place, so whatever space was required for the Mumford was used. It's not the most compact way of locating the diff, but it's not too bad. I found that I had a little too much rear body roll on the race track, so I'm hoping that I can change that by simply lowering the rear roll centre. I'll have to do some serious reading before I know with any confidence if this will throw anything else out of balance by doing this.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom - after much digging, I found the RACECAR Vol 3 No 5 magazine with the article by the late Major Arthur Mallock. As far as I'm aware, his son Ray is still alive and kicking.

I don't have a scanner nearby, but here's the majority of what was written about the Mumford system:

We have tried nine different systems of sideways axle location. The requirement is to provide a rollcentre which stays constant relative to the chassis with suspension travel.

In this respect, the popular, axle-mounted Watts Linkage is the worst. By mounting the Watt pivot on the chassis, the roll centre cannot move, because it has a bolt through it, and the rods do not move in roll. For clearance reasons, it is often convenient to mount the pivot left-of-centre. If the rod lengths and pivot ratios are changed in proportion, Watts geometry is still maintained. This is an excellent system when super-low rollcentres and ground clearance are not considerations. For a lower rollcentre, the system can be mounted horizontally.

For best compromise with "Stagecoach Effect" however, the rollcentre height should be about 3in - and for the optimum ground-effect, the whole mechanism must be mounted above the venturi.

This is where the Mumford axle location system comes into it's own. By carefully calculation the pivot lengths, the rollcentre movement can be kept to less than 0.1". As it is invisible, it can be set to any desired height (even below ground).

Michael Mumford's system offers the advantages of nil spurious vertical loads, and excellent rollcentre control. Very low rollcentres are practical, well below ground clearance, and thus the system offers excellent bump scrub. On bump, the ground clearance actually increases"

(Stagecoach effect is where one wheel hits a bump, and the whole axle moves sideways)

The Mallock book that I made mention of is actually Proprietary information owned by Mallock Sports Cars. It is basically made up of engineering drawings of their chassis and associated components with notes about specific measurements and advice on adjustments. Very interesting, but it'd be best for me to refrain from posting this info on the internet...
Old 06-08-2003, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig,
How are you and that beast of a car going?Any more track time or testing since the last post

I've been lookig for that volume of race car mag. with no luck to date, is there a chance you may be able to copy the relevant info ie. the drawings and tech. data you mentioned in your post and sned it on down.
Or perhaps any other suggestions on where i may find it?
catchya soon Paul

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-08-2003, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul,
I'll get some photocopies for you. My car is registered now, and as soon as I fix a small problem with the exhaust, I'll take it for it's first drive on the street. That should be interesting.... I have the feeling that it's going to look a little out of place sitting at traffic lights with Hyundais, Toyota Echos and other mundane family cars around it!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Craig,

How have you and your Mumford bar set up faired over the last couple of years. I guess you have had enough time on the track to evaluate the pro's and con's of your Cobra's rear suspension.

I am considering a Mumford set up for my Cobra as well and would appreciate you posting any pictures you might have of your set up. Also, if you have any advise for the part sources I would appreciate that as well. Tall order I know but thanks in advance for your input.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-25-2006, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Red face Mumford system info from "750" Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp
Tom - after much digging, I found the RACECAR Vol 3 No 5 magazine with the article by the late Major Arthur Mallock. As far as I'm aware, his son Ray is still alive and kicking.

I don't have a scanner nearby, but here's the majority of what was written about the Mumford system:

We have tried nine different systems of sideways axle location. The requirement is to provide a rollcentre which stays constant relative to the chassis with suspension travel.

In this respect, the popular, axle-mounted Watts Linkage is the worst. By mounting the Watt pivot on the chassis, the roll centre cannot move, because it has a bolt through it, and the rods do not move in roll. For clearance reasons, it is often convenient to mount the pivot left-of-centre. If the rod lengths and pivot ratios are changed in proportion, Watts geometry is still maintained. This is an excellent system when super-low rollcentres and ground clearance are not considerations. For a lower rollcentre, the system can be mounted horizontally.

For best compromise with "Stagecoach Effect" however, the rollcentre height should be about 3in - and for the optimum ground-effect, the whole mechanism must be mounted above the venturi.

This is where the Mumford axle location system comes into it's own. By carefully calculation the pivot lengths, the rollcentre movement can be kept to less than 0.1". As it is invisible, it can be set to any desired height (even below ground).

Michael Mumford's system offers the advantages of nil spurious vertical loads, and excellent rollcentre control. Very low rollcentres are practical, well below ground clearance, and thus the system offers excellent bump scrub. On bump, the ground clearance actually increases"

(Stagecoach effect is where one wheel hits a bump, and the whole axle moves sideways)

The Mallock book that I made mention of is actually Proprietary information owned by Mallock Sports Cars. It is basically made up of engineering drawings of their chassis and associated components with notes about specific measurements and advice on adjustments. Very interesting, but it'd be best for me to refrain from posting this info on the internet...
New bee here, Was hoping to get in touch with Craig to talk about an old post on the Mumford system. I'm shooting from the hip, but is there a way to get a email address for Craig? I haven't checked any FAQs yet, so pardon me.

Thanks, Fred
Old 06-26-2006, 12:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Fred...send a PM from here.

Craig lives in Brisbane Australia and still gets on here occasionally.

A PM should get a response.

Cheers
Old 06-26-2006, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you would like I can send some pics and diagrams of Mumford link setups complete with angles. For some reason my album site dosn't like those pics.

I did a lot of research and it seems the best setup if using a solid rear axle is a 3 link, easily done using a late mustang 8.8, and a Mumford link