SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2003, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default lincoln versailles brake kits

Any suggestion for a good disk brake package for the 9" lincoln Versailles rear end.

Draco
Old 07-13-2003, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I used a narrowed Versailles rear end with Ford Turbo Coupe calipers. All of the Versailles pieces are quite heavy especially the callipers themselves.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2003, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are the rotors and emergency brake a stock replacement for the linclon or granada? Or are they part of the ford turbo coupe system

Draco
Old 07-13-2003, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The EBrake is part of the TBird Caliper, the calipers normally mount on the rear of the rotor. Because of the shock location they had to be relocated to the front of the rotor and the Ebrake pull lever modified. The rotors are Lincoln Versaille, they have an extreme amount of offset, making them pretty heavy. I think these calipers are also used on Taurus's, but I am unsure if the piston size is the same.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 07-13-2003 at 05:45 PM..
Old 07-13-2003, 05:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick;

I'm running a stock Versailles rear end with the stock brakes. Yes the brackets and calipers are quite heavy and actually not as good as I thought they would be.... Very interested in your set-up...

What brackets do you use????
How are they mounted to the rear end????
What rotors????
What year model cars does your set-up come from????

I have very good access to a number of salvage yards around here and could probably get the stuff needed for little or nothing...

lastly,how do they compare stopping to the stock versailles rear brakes????

Thanks;

David
Old 07-13-2003, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The complete stock Versaille setup is a popular swap into early Mustangs. The width is correct. I thought it was a necessary item for my application but after seeing the calipers I chose to look at something lighter. Suggest you chose any 9" Ford rear housing and narrow it accordingly Dave: I have not had it on the road with this setup yet so I cannot answer your question but I am hoping that my efforts are worth it I'm about 6 weeks from being done. I got the brackets from Currie Enterprises in Southern Calif. The bearing retainers have provision for two 1"x3/8" bars that are secured to the retainer plates by (2) 7/16" bolts. Then the bars also use (2) bolts to attach to the caliper. I sourced just the brackets from Currie. Everything alse was gotten from either the parts house or wreckers. 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe, 77,78 Granada
I have other pictures but they are to large for this site. If you would like I can email them directly to you.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 07-13-2003, 06:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick;

Yes if you would e-mail any and all pictures of the setup... I'm using the Versailles rear end in my 65 Fastback as is..... The brakes work "good" but not "great",always looking to upgrade if I can do it resonably cheap....

For normal street driving the brakes are fine,but now I have done some open track/road racing and definelty need more brakes and tires to be competitive....I am in the process of upgrading the front brakes with 69 Mustang spindles-65 T-bird or Lincoln calipers (large 4 piston calipers used on the vintage racers),this will help a ton,now looking to the rear set-up.... I would think your set-up should be better than the stock Versailles unit just on the fact it's a lot newer technology, and also a lot easier to get parts for... A couple of months ago I had a rear cailper stick on me and took two weeks to find one around here and a rebuilt unit was just over a 100 bucks with trade-in,core charge alone was 75 bucks,I guess the old parts are getting rare...

If you would please e-mail the pictures to me at CDA351@aol.com with possible part numbers for the mounting parts you got from Currie... I would want to keep the calipers to the rear of the rotors where they are located now... Fabrication is not a problem,I have access to a machine shop on the weekends....

Thanks for any help and info..

David
Old 07-16-2003, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     

Porterfield sells a carbon kevlar pad for the Versailles rear brakes. It works a hell of a lot better than OEM stuff. They cost around 90 for a set. I am very happy with them. I thought I would try the pads before changing the whole brake system. Check out their website. The pads are listed under Mustangs running the Versailles brakes.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Curt;

Do you have the web address for Porterfield and do you have any idea how long these pads would last for street driving and some track time????

I put about 3,000 miles of street/highway driving a year and am going to my second open track event next week,will likely be running more open track and less street next year....

Thanks;

David
Old 07-16-2003, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

David,

Sounds like our cars get a similar amount of use - 3K per years. Pads have been on the car for about 5 months and seen two open track sessions. They still have plenty of meat on them. I scientifically proved they work better: I measured the temperature of the of the rotors with an infrared temp gun. Porterfields were running about 100 degrees hotter (325 vs 225) and thus functioning better as a heat sinc (sp?) Porterfield says these are perfect pads for rear of a street/track car. They are agressive, but have not hurt the rotors.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Curt;

Thanks for the link and info... I think I'll try the rear pads first before swapping out the brake system... Right now I'm in the middle of replacing my front brake system. Have the Granada spindles/rotors/calipers up front with standard pads... Swapping out to an early Mustang four piston Kelse-Hayes calipers with a little bigger rotor. These rotors are removeable from the "hat" and are not real expensive....and supposed to be a lot better than what I have now according to a number of guys who Vintage race 65/66 Mustangs.... Have everything but the calipers,looking for some for cores....

Thanks again;

David