SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-23-2003, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 351W, C4
Not Ranked     
Default Cutting stainless braided hose

Another one for the gurus. What is the easiest and best way to cut stainless braided hose. I did a google search and found a site where they give a tip to tape the hose and then use a fine tooth hacksaw. I tried that but the hose end still frayed.

Any input, as always, will be greatly appreciated.

Tony
Old 07-23-2003, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Virtual 2.4M
Send a message via AIM to TomH
Not Ranked     

Be sure to use a "fresh" fine tooth hack saw and wrap the tape tightly. It works.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     

I tried the hacksaw technique as well and failed. The only success I found was using a pair of good lineman pliers to cut the hose. The hose still needs to be taped. Using lineman pliers is only half the story. Once I squeezed as hard as I could by hand, I put the cutting end of the pliers in my vise and let the vise do the rest of the work. If you hit the handle with a hammer while it is on something solid the extra force will cut right through as well. It is a little more dangerous than the vise routine.

Good luck

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Measure with a mic, cut with an axe.

There are many methods of skinning cats and cutting hose.
Die grinders with a cutoff wheel work the best for me.
If you wrap tape around the braid, then cut clear through with a high speed cutoff wheel, you get a clean cut, and no fraying of the braid. But, what you DO get is tons of black burned neoprene dust inside the hose, that has to be flushed and washed before useing.
So,
Wrap the tape, Mark a line so the cut is square to the hose, cut through JUST the steel braid with the high speed cutoff wheel on your die grinder, then complete the cut through the hose with a sharp knife. The rubber is thick enough to get through the braid without going clear through. That produces a clean cut with no junk inside the hose. Remove the tape and install the hose end.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

I have used two hose clamps around the hose I planned to cut, (with a short section of pipe on the inside of hose), then used a new fine hacksaw, sawing between the hose clamps with no problems.

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

regular cutoff saw worked great. chuck
Old 07-24-2003, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

cut off saw or dropsaw works well. Tape the ends first.

Andy.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 07-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Tape across the area to be cut with a few layers of good tape. Masking works.

Use a nice pair of cable cutters that are two opposing "Cs". Works well.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Send a message via AIM to Tinker51
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up A good excuse to buy a new power tool

The chop saw method worked best for me. I made a ton of hoses restoring an airplane so I got pretty good at it. Two wraps of tape, a quick trip through the chop saw, then as previously mentioned clean out the hose. You would be amazed at the amount of gunk that comes out. Someone mentioned a die grinder with a cutoff wheel, my guess is that it would work just as well.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just as an adder to the comments above. I found electrical tape wrapped very tightly will help in bringing the cut hose down enough to make installing the fitting over the end much easier. Also a bit of WD-40 to the inside of the hose and on the threads of the fitting helps alot. With a little practice you'll become a pro.

If you havent purchased all of your hose and fittings yet, try G&J (or J&G) aircraft supplies in Ontario, California. They have the lowest prices I have seen on top quality components.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Red w/White Sripes, 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader
Not Ranked     

I have to say a Dremmel Tool and the abrasive cut-off wheel is hard to beat. You can buy them at Home Depot, Lowe's ect. Good for any size hose building a Cobra and work like a charm on welding or battery cable as well as Grade 8 bolts. Just like everyone else states, "tape the area to cut".
Old 07-24-2003, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I used my die grinder and cut off wheel. Tape the ends and cut around the hose not from top to bottom. If you use a hack saw get the finest blades you can find. Put two blades in the saw * one in each direction) so you cut in both directions this will minimize the dreaded frayed end. I left the tape on and installed the fittings.

Randy
Old 07-24-2003, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     

I used a pair of "Wiss Metal Shears". They cut through like butter in one pass without any strain on you. Just tape immeditely behind the line that you wish to cut on. Just electrical tape will do to keep the ends from unwinding. Home Depot has them for about $12 bucks. Then you can use them to cut aluminum, steel flashing or whatever.

Cheers.

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 07-24-2003, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 351W, C4
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks Guys & another question

Thanks for all the replies!

I tried using my Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and it works great. I took the advice of one of the posters and only cut through the stainless barid and then used a sharp knife to cut through the hose. It Works!!!

On another note. I'm using a C-4 Automatic tranny and I'll be installing a tranny cooler. Should I have any concerns about what kind of hose to use for the tranny cooling lines? Will stainless braided rubber hose stand up to the tranny fluid or should I consider using steel lines?

Tony
Old 07-24-2003, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett/Morrison- Boss 302 Stroked W/351W heads and a whole bunch of ponies
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Trany hose

The stainless hoses will work perfectly. That way, you keep the plumbing looking consistant.

Everyday is a Holiday ... every meal is a banquet.