SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by PSB

Ooops.....forgot where I was.....here's the Club Snob..er..Cobra politically correct answer:

If it's not an ERA, Shelby, or SPF it's CRAP! If it doesn't have an FE (unless it's an SPF), it's CRAP!

Is that better?

Pete
PSB-
If you read what I wrote, you would see that is not what I said. EM is a great car, just different.

And I think Ernie was just yanking everyone's chain.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 11-07-2003, 08:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink

Saying one car is superior to another is NOT saying the lesser car is "junk"!

VW's are a great car, not MY cup of tea, but lot's of people like them and the quality (I guess) is great!

,,,,,,,but they aint no Cadillac! I heard lots of good things about an EM, also an A and C, a Mid States, name the replica of your choice here!

Replicas are NOT the same. Some are "better" than others in terms of cost, handling, glass or tin, IRS or live axle. The list is endless and we all make our choices.

For me that choice is a Classic Roadster. But it aint no ERA in terms of originality and I would not dare to make a "serious" comparison! I WOULD seriously compare a C.R. to an EM however.

,,,,,,and my C.R. is better than your car, so nanny nanny boo boo!

Ernie
Old 11-07-2003, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ERA is an authentic replica.

EM is a Hot Rod with a Cobra body.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, Shelby aluminum 496 ci FE
Not Ranked     

If you haven't already checked on the cobras for sale here in clubcobra, do so...I have an ERA for sale at a price that anyone seriously considering buying a cobra can afford.

Doug
ERA #115 - sold
ERA #002 - sold
67 Fairlane
'68 mustang
'95 SVT Cobra
Old 11-07-2003, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

As a rookie cobra enthusiast a couple not so long ago years back I couldn't tell a FFR from an ERA. The more I learned & looked the more differences I began to see between manufacturers. ERA is IMHO one of the meanest, most accurate looking replicas out there. That is not to say that there are not cars equally as nice at a far lesser price. Nor am I trying to say that you have to be experienced to see or know the differences between Mfgs. I agree that you can't really compare an EM & an ERA for the fact that they are completely different interpretations of the same thing. I don't think that one is better than the other rather that one better suits what I want out of a cobra replica. I think that is what it really comes down to & is why I always tell people to do a lot of research before diving in.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

The thread is volatile enough, need not fuel it with bold and old statements like.
"why bother with anything else, but SPF"?

TURK
Old 11-07-2003, 01:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

Well, um... oh never mind.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Come on Dan, Go for it...

(and I'm beginning to think this thread was BS from the start, DUH)

Last edited by casaleenie; 11-07-2003 at 02:20 PM..
Old 12-15-2003, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still deciding. ERA, SPF or EMG4. Engine?
Not Ranked     

Hey Guys,
Does anyone have any experience with the EM Generation IV. I think that they are going into production in January. These are brand new! Stainless frame! Stainles suspension. Big brakes! Chassis suspension adjustments. Recently I've started researching them and it looks like it may be an upper cut of the Cobra replicas. We have to give them credit for takinf the effort to improve their product. There are some kits out there that haven't changed in 20 years. I've expanded my set of candidate manufacturers from {SPF, ERA} to {SPF, ERA, EMG4}. Has any one seen or driven the EMG4? Any of us could put 1000 horses in a bathtub but that is not fun. It is just plain scary. More meaningful to me is the suspension and how I feel when I drive the car. Will it keep all four contact patches firmly gripping the curves. Does it have adjustment for front & rear roll stiffness, caster, camber, toe and ride height. How does it behave on the skid pad? Am I cramped up and are my elbows and knees knocking against stuff? Will my feet fit into the peddle box so that I can make music with all three peddles?

Also very important is customer service. Was ever prior customer treated fairly when they weere retooling for the EMG4?

Before I get committed into a Cobra, I'll sure visit with them and see first hand what the EMG$ is all about.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, Boss 351 w/ TKO 5 speed, 94 vette suspension
Not Ranked     

Hey lprigmore, Your question contradicts itself. You want to know about a car that you say is not going to be out until January.
From talking with Bob at EM, they are not going to offer all the options that they used to. All of the new EM's will have the same frame, suspenssion, brakes, and wheels. The cars are also being stretched to a 93" wheel base. I have not heard anything about about the SS frames and suspenssion. I can only assume that there customer service will be as good as it was. Just stay away from Bruce.
Tim
Old 12-16-2003, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, Boss 351
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by HIQ

ERA is an authentic replica.

EM is a Hot Rod with a Cobra body.

I didn't realize an original cobra had a Jaguar suspension and GM components. I guess you learn something new everyday.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

I didn't realize an original cobra had a Jaguar suspension and GM components. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Or a square tube frame. I would say that the Kirkham and CSX are the only truly accurate replicas. ERAs are 'visual' relicas (says so right on the website) but mechanically far different.
Still just about the best, most accurate-looking kit out there.

Mike
Old 12-16-2003, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim,
I've been looking at ERA's. The SPF is nice too. I think that they are both beautiful. I also have my eye out for the right used Cobra. However, I am 6'4" at 220lbs and I could use a little more room. I was thinking that the extra 4" legroom in the EMG4 may be advantage in my case. Also I was thinking that the extra 3" wheelbase would improve cornering and handling somewhat. I have read some books on race car chassis design and tuning. Ehile they didn't address the Cobra speciffically, I was under the impression that the short 90" wheelbase of the Cobra was a liability when it came to handling.
Thanks,
Les
Old 12-17-2003, 09:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default comparo

My God, This is nothing more than an adult version of, "My dog's better than your dog! So there!"
Steve
Old 12-17-2003, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Depends on what kind a dog you have..

TURK
Old 12-18-2003, 12:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a Boxer, and he is the best dog in the whole wide world, so none of you should even think about getting a dog!!!

If you can't afford what you want to buy, pick up a book and learn how to make it.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You call that a "dog"? I rest my case.
I have seen some with perky butts, yours surely looks like it has a smashed front.

TURK
Old 12-18-2003, 01:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Mods can make it more comfortable...

Les,
I would definitely say that an ERA or SPF are really "not legroom cars" for anyone at 6'4" plus. Heck, I'm 5'10", and its not a legroom car. On both of these cars, a few of my 6'4" friends went through seat track removals, seat tilting, pedals adjusted back, and a steering colunm raise, with some removal of some seat foam thickness to make it work. And, something else to note here... a few of these guys are previous owners of 94" wheelbase cars - changing back to 90/91" wheelbase cars for their own personal tastes and driving feedback desired...

If I were 6'4", I'd probably do what I could with the various MFGs out there or make all the mods I could to fit more comfortably including a dropped floor pan or a modified rear header section behind the seat. There are some big drivers in these cars over 6'5" and 300lbs. Some companies (don't advertise this openly) but they make "Big-Boy" versions if you inquire nicely in person... It just depends on how much you want a certain car or make.
BDR is running a 92" setup for a little more room. My ERA is actually 91", not 90". It can be done with these type mods mentioned above for the 90/91" cars. Good Luck.

Last edited by decooney; 12-18-2003 at 01:43 AM..
Old 12-18-2003, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

I believe it's called "BIG DICK SYNDROME".
Old 12-18-2003, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duane,

Thanks,
Now you have provided some useful ideas for solving a problem that could become uncomfortable. I was unaware that the MFGs would refabricate the drivers seat for taller folks.

Again thanks. Your comments were refreshing after wading through all of the dog mess. I didn't bring my pooper scooper.

All of you dog lovers might consider that if perception is the only factor that forms reality, there is no best "dog". Since perception is largely formed by emotion, it becomes an emotional issue. After all one can love some mighty ugly dogs too.

Believe me, guys with a large predominate feature can be fun for some girls but you can be loved without one. Now let's all go get some therapy, I could certainly could use some. Maybe a little therapy could help me come to terms with why I have this persistent passion to pay so much for a car that I can barely fit into.